Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Thanks for posting this Henry. Following on from France Taylor's concert, EMGO, the Edinburgh and Mandolin Orchestra, are presenting a wide-ranging concert programme from Baroque and Classical through to Traditional and Modern at the nearby Quakers Meeting House in Victoria Terrace from 7.30-9.00 Friday 5th and Saturday 6th. Frances will be appearing as guest mandolinist.Tickets may be purchased at the door.

Hi all,

For tomorrow August 13th, and those of you who are near to Amsterdam () and Haarlem, a 'Kunstmarkt' (Art fair) concert with harpist Annegreet Rouw and mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk in the oude kerk (old Church) of Spaarndam (Netherlands). Starting at 15:00 hours. You are all very welcome!

Best greetings,

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Info Annegreet & Ferdinand.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	75307  

How wonderful! I wish both the very, very best— which they surely deserve!

What "poetic irony", too... For as happy as I was to write my Antwerp Harbor for my friend Joe Brent, I could not help but think, "Mandolin and harp! Who else will ever play such a piece?" Think again: Ferdinand and Annegreet gave SUCH a lovely performance of this dreamy, misty, foggy score last October that I had to reconsider my earlier skepticism. Apparently they have taken this score and run with it. Once again, the outcome is far beyond my wildest, most optimistic expectations.

Along the same lines, a colleague recently asked me for a second composition for mandolin and bass (second, that is, to my earlier Garlands, written for Chris Acquavella & bassist Jeremy Kurtz). Once again, the sly Muse is winking at me from the most unexpected angles...

Cheers to all those amazing, extraordinary mandolin + You'd-Never-Imagine-What duos!

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

On the 12th of November Het Vers Ensemble will perform besides the Guitar Concierto by Victor Kioulaphides (original date of the concert was 7th of October) als a new work by young Dutch composer Paul van Vulpen for mandolin, guitar and double bass: Speedrun.

Paul has written before for a.o. The Metrople Orchestra and the WDR Rundfunk Orchester. So you can imagine we were honoured he was willing to write a piece for us.

Paul has a digital preview on his soundscloud account of Speedrun that I wanted to share with you: Speedrun (digital preview)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edskes View Post
    ...mandolin, guitar and double bass
    Oh, I heartily approve of that instrumentation!

I wish you all much success; a promising event, no doubt.

Cheers,

Victor

Good work Tom,

Het Vers Ensemble is doing great and I hope to be there on the 12th of November!

Best,

Alex.
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Aug-16-2011 at 1:09pm.

Thanks Alex and Victor

On September 29th at 3pm, I will be playing a concert of 18th century mandolin music along with two colleagues as part of Colonial Williamsburg's Early Music Festival. We will be playing two sonatas (I and V) for two mandolins and continuo by John Gualdo from his Six Easy Evening Entertainments written in Philadelphia in the late 1760s, a Barbella sonata in D major for mandolin and continuo, Mozart's two songs for mandolin and voice, "Divertimento no. 7" for two mandolins by Cedronio, a piece from J.B. Miroglio's Huitieme Suite des Amusments des Dames, an arrangement of Turloch Carolan's piece "Carolan's Draught" with the 18th century continue realized for lyra viol, and an overture for two mandolins and continuo by Gian Francesco Eterardi. Playing along with me will be Doug Austin on mandolin and Lynn Trott on viola da gamba.

Hi everyone!

Next Monday, October 3rd at 8:00pm, I am premiering my new Mandolin Concerto with the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra. Rehearsals start Saturday! For more info, check out www.rso.com or www.jeffmidkiff.com.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi all,

Tomorrow, Saturday Oct. 1st, The Dutch Harp & Mandolin Duo Annegreet Rouw and Ferdinand Binnendijk will give a concert in the 'Kulturhus' in Holten (address: Smidsbelt 6 in Holten).
    Programmed are compositions by i.e. Händel, Dussek, Faure and Calace.
    The concert starts at 12.30 and there is a free entrance.

Everybody is very welcome!

Best,

Alex.

Name:	AAA Holten.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	76703  

Hello all,

Unfortunately I couldn't be there, but I just heard that Ferdinand and Annegreet gave a splendid performance of Victor's "Antwerp Harbor".

Something - hopefully - for next time...

Best, Alex.

Having witnessed another fine performance of this very same piece by this very same duo about a year ago, I am delighted but not at all surprised to hear that this performance, too, was splendid. I didn't even know it was on the program...

Three cheers for Ferdinand and Annegreet!

Victor

Neither did I, neither did I...

:-)

Sometimes, not even the performers themselves know that a piece is on the program! Remember the time Sebastiaan broke a string and, while he was backstage, furiously restringing his mandolin, Eva went ahead and played my Sonatina Commedia dell'arte?

A great success, caused by... spontaneous combustion.

Oh, sure... I'll take such good news, anyway, any day.

Cheers,

Victor

Hi all,

Tomorrow in the concert hall Paradiso in the very heart of Amsterdam (Netherlands):
    'Emotios', a concert by the Dutch Chamber Orchestra.

With: Gordan Nikolic - concertmaster, Marije Nie - dance,
    Nando Russo - percussion; and Ferdinand Binnendijk - mandolin.

If we are allowed to video tape it, you will hear and see more of it!

Best Best greetings, Alex.

http://www.nedphounplugged.nl/

Default PMO concert, CMSA, Friday Night

The PMO will perform on Friday night at CMSA along with the BMQ, and the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra.

Attached are the program notes for our portion of the concert. We'll be performing three pieces: an arrangement of Astor Piazzolla's "Oblivion"; the world premiere of a new work by Owen Hartford, the "Neponset Valley Suite"; and the US premiere of Victor Kioulaphides, "Sinfonia a pizzico". My understanding is that the concert is free and open to the public.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Program_notes_CMSA_PMO_Friday.pdf  
    Robert A. Margo

Hi All,

Just back from a fabulous Paradiso concert in Amsterdam.
    To keep 'Paradise' memories alive, here is a photo of Ferdinand Binnendijk and the members of the Nederlands Kamerorkest just before their absolutely wonderful and 'never to forget' performance of Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto.

Best, Alex.

Name:	Ferdinand in Paradiso 4-10-'11.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	76884  

And another photo made by Pauline Ulderink with Ferdinand Binnendijk during his performance with the Nederlands Kamerorkest:

Name:	Ferdinand Binnendijk's performance with the 'Nederlands Kamerorchestra..jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	76938  

Hi All,

Here is some more info about Ferdinand Binnendijk and his performances with the Orkest van het Oosten later this month - October 27th (Zwolle), 28th (Enschede) and the 30th (Deventer).

Ferdinand will première the a new composition titled "Like a Dream..." for Mandolin and Chamber Orchestra composed by the Greek-American composer Victor Kioulaphides.
    "Like a Dream..." is dedicated to Ferdinand Binnendijk and especially composed for this concert program of the Orkest van het Oosten.

The composer Victor Kioulaphides will be present at the concerts.

You are all very welcome!

Best, Alex.

PS. Here is a link with more info and the possibility for ticket reservation etc.:
    http://www.orkestvanhetoos​ten.nl/nl/agenda/

Name:	Aankondiging Ferd en OvhO okt 2011.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	317.9 KB 
ID:	77022  

This is the CMSA's En Masse Orchestra for 2011 performing "Hues of Dusk" by Victor Kioulaphides. I hope you enjoy viewing the performance as much as we did performing it.

Many Thank you's to Jim Bates for his direction and Victor Kioulaphides for his composition. Also thank you to the Mandolin Cafe (Scott T.) for providing a place to showcase performances like this.

MLT
    Oregon Mandolin Orchestra
    Classical Mandolin Society of America
    Labraid Cytole

This is the CMSA's En Masse Orchestra for 2011 performing "Swimming Down the Stars" by Jonathan Jensen. I hope you enjoy viewing this performance piece as well.

Again, many Thank you's to Jim Bates for his direction and Jonathan Jensen for his composition.

Last edited by MLT; Oct-20-2011 at 8:17pm.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole

Today at 3 I'm giving a masterclass on mandolin technique and orchestral/chamber repertoire for The New World Symphony, and later on I'm playing Ancient Voices of Children with their chamber music series. Then tomorrow night, I'm doing Beethoven's Sonatine as part of their composer 'Journey' series, which presents the music of a single composer in a format that includes orchestral, chamber and solo examples of their work in their beautiful new Frank Gehry-designed concert hall, along with projections, lighting, and talkback with their artistic director Michael Tilson Thomas. Yesterday MTT told me the Beethoven mandolin pieces were his favorite pieces of music, especially the Variations! I said he had good taste.

The San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra fall season concert tickets have just gone on sale! Info and tickets.

4:00 pm Sunday, October 30th
    All Saints' Episcopal, 555 Waverly St, Palo Alto

7:30 pm Friday, November 4th
    Mission Dolores, 16th and Dolores, San Francisco

4:00 pm Sunday, November 6th
    All Souls Episcopal, 2220 Cedar St, Berkeley

4:00 pm Sunday, November 13th
    First Church of Christ Scientist, 522 "B" Street, Petaluma

Our fall season's repertoire includes the sweeping strains of Finnish composer Sibelius’ “Rakastava” (“The Lover”), and “Romance in C” and the icicles of Vivaldi’s classic “Winter Concerto.” We mix in with this Norwegian composer, Grieg’s famous “Peer Gynt Suite” and the well-known “Morning Mood” and “Hall of the Mountain King,” and end with a piece by David Grisman, celebrating the 100th birthday of Blue Grass legend, Bill Monroe – just to show that the mandolin has an American repertoire all its own. Winter – the cool concert – shines another new light on the capacities of the mandolin and the San Francisco Mandolin Orchestra, a community orchestra of 20-25 players of mandolin, mandola, octave mandolin, mandocello, guitar, and bass, under conductor Nicola Swinburne Bocus, and with soloist Achille Bocus. As the days grow shorter, you are invited to be a part of this musical celebration of the coming of winter. We hope some of our Mandolin Cafe friends can join us!

Hi MLT,

Thanks for sharing; really great videos! I've seen some great photos made during the CMSA meeting by Plami. It must have been a great time this year. Hope to join you all sometime soon in the future.

Best and thanks again, Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Timmerman View Post
    Hi MLT,

Thanks for sharing; really great videos! I've seen some great photos made during the CMSA meeting by Plami. It must have been a great time this year. Hope to join you all sometime soon in the future.

Best and thanks again, Alex.

Thank you Alex. I have one more video from the concert to post on my youtube channel in the next day or so.

It would be great to meet you in person (as it was with Plamen, Victorr, Jim, etc. this year). Maybe we will see you in 2012 in Minneapolis?

MLT.
    MLT
    Labraid Cytole