Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Default Re: Mandolin Concerts of Note

Chris Acquavella in New York

I just heard from Jim Kendrick who is hosting this concert that there is still room for a few more attendees. I believe that this would be Chris' only performance in the New York area. Details below.

Friday, May 11, 2012 - 7:30pm - Solo Concert in New York City. Chris Acquavella will be presenting a lovely evening of solo mandolin repertoire on both baroque and modern mandolins using period techniques. Music by Bach, Leone, Calace, Kioulaphides, Ochi, O'Carolan, Piazzolla, and much more. This will be a 2 hour concert with intermission. Venue: Private Home of Jim Kendrick. (exact address will be provided once reservation is booked.) Tickets: $20. To reserve your tickets please email Jim Kendrick

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I wish I was both closer and less busy. Alas!

[QUOTE=Acquavella;1037838]Hello,
    I will be performing & teaching workshops along the East Coast USA, England and Bulgaria in May & June. I'll be on the road for about 1.5 months. Just want to let everyone know of some dates.
    May
    5th 1:30pm - Mandolin Workshop, Hampton, CT.
    5th 7:30pm – Solo Concert at North Meadow House Concert Series, Hampton, CT.
    6th 7:30pm - Arno Stark Concerto with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'd like to correct these dates so there is no confusion. Chris will be performing in Providence RI on Saturday May 5, and holding his workshop/concert in Hampton, CT on Sunday, May 6th. Here are the correct details:

Chris Acquavella events in SE New England

Mandolin workshop in RI
    3:30 PM Friday, May 4th
    234 Rochambeau Ave. Providence.

Chris Acquavella IN CONCERT with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    8:00 PM Saturday, May 5, 2012
    Wheeler Hall, The Wheeler School , 216 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02906
    Admission: $20.00/ $15 students
    Info: http://www.mandolin-orchestra.org/

North Meadow Workshop & House Concert
    Sunday, May 6, 2012.
    158 East Old Route 6, Hampton, CT
    Workshop: 2:00 - 4:00 PM $50.00
    Concert: 7:30 PM $20.00 SOLD OUT!
    Concert + workshop: $65.00
    Info/reservations: markmdavis@yahoo.com
    Last edited by MMDavis; May-04-2012 at 8:22am. Reason: clarity

Hi all!

Here is a photo made at the new School of Music of the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra where the three laureats of the Princes Christina Concours performed last Friday evening (4-5-2012). Vancouver was the last leg of their North America tour, after Los Ageles, San Francisco and Calgary. Tomorrow they fly home again!

Best regards,

Alex.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annemiek de Bruin, clarinet Laurens de Man, piano and Ferdinand Binnendijk, mandolin..jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	150.1 KB 
ID:	86011

Hi all,

In case you missed the concerts in the US and Canada and like to visit Amsterdam for a weekend, you can hear the Dutch mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk in the famous famous concert hall of the CONCERTGEBOUW in Amsterdam (Netherlands)!

Best, Alex.

Info below in the attachment:

http://concert.nlagenda.com/voorstel...sterdam/12-mei

Here is a trailer as PR for that concert with Ferdinand, Fun!:

Oh, I always cook with "In a Sentimental Mood" playing in the background!

Very, very nice!

Three cheers for Ferdinand, and for all those involved.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra is pleased to announce the following joint concert with the New York Mandolin Ensemble:

The New York Mandolin Ensemble and Providence Mandolin Orchestra
    Barrington Public Library
    281 County Road, Barrington RI
    Saturday, May 19, 2012, 3 PM
    Sinfonia a due mandolin e Basso Giovanni Battista Gervasio (1725-1785)
    Allegro – Largetto - Allegro

Apples and Oranges Steven Antonelli

Henry Island

Two Sonatas
    K. 430 – K. 87 Domenico Scarlatti (1685-1757)
    Arr. V. Kiolaphides

Four Machines Steven Antonelli
    (with Katelyn Paquin Dance Company)

The New York Mandolin Ensemble

(Pause)

Sky Colored Lake Robert Martel

Nocturne Frank Wallace

Neponset Valley Suite Owen Hartford
    River Bottom – Currents - Evening

Oblivion Astor Piazzolla (1921-1992)
    arr. R. A. Margo

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra

(Pause)

Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 (Movement #1) J. S. Bach (1685-1750)

Pavane Gabriel Faure (1845-1924)
    Arr. J. Dearinger

Palladio Karl Jenkins

Hues of Dusk Victor Kioulaphides

An Ending Steven Antonelli

New York Mandolin Ensemble and Providence Mandolin Orchestra

Art Design: Alan Sorrentino
    Projections: Caroline Antonelli, Owen Hartford, Paul McGeary

Program Notes by Robert A. Margo

In the early 20th century heyday of the mandolin, there were numerous mandolin orchestras in the greater New York metropolitan area. Today, the New York Mandolin Ensemble carries on this grand tradition, with an exciting blend of classical and popular works.

Our concert begins with six works performed by the NYME. Three of these works date from the baroque period, the origins of the modern mandolin. The Gervasio is an original three movement “symphony” while the Scarlatti arrangements are of sonatas originally for harpsichord. The other three pieces are original works by Antonelli and reflect a wide variety of influences, both popular and contemporary classical. The NYME is joined on one of these pieces, “Four Machines”, by the Katelyn Paquin Dance Company.

Our concert continues with four works performed by the PMO, starting with an old favorite, Robert Martel’s “Sky Colored Lake”. A prolific composer for modern classical guitar and an eminent performer on early plucked strings and modern guitar, Frank Wallace’s Nocturne is his first large scale composition for mandolin ensemble. Owen Hartford has written many works for the PMO over his long tenure with the group. His latest composition, in three movements, is the Neponset Valley Suite. Astor Piazzolla composed Oblivion for Marco Bellocchio’s film Enrico IV, an adaptation of the classic play by Luigi Pirandello.

The NYME and PMO join forces with the first movement of the Brandenburg #3, the concerto (of the six) most suitable for plucked strings. The Faure Pavane is arranged by Jeff Dearinger, a leading arranger for mandolin orchestra. Palladio is famous from its appearance in a television commercial. Our concert concludes with Victor Kioulaphides’ atmospheric Hues of Dusk and, in in a nod to Abbey Road, Steven Antonelli’s fanfare, An Ending.

The New York Mandolin Ensemble

Mandolin: Steven Antonelli, Gino Cichetti, Wayne Fugate, Roy Goldberg, John Ruis
    Mandola: Wayne Fugate
    Guitar: Gino Cichetti, Rich Robinson
    Mandocello: Steven Antonelli
    Bass: Stephanie Mack

For this performance the NYME is assisted by PMO members Josh Bell (mandolin), Duane Golumb (mandolin) and Robert Margo (mandolin, mandola).

The Providence Mandolin Orchestra

Director: Mark Davis
    First Mandolin: Joshua Bell (concertmaster), Christine Chito, Yvette Cote, Duane Golumb, Chang Lee
    Second Mandolin: Lynne Bell, Owen Hartford, Paul Wilde
    Mandola: Mark Chouke, Mack Johnston, Robert Margo, Gayle Raposa
    Mandocello: Dan Moore, Matt Snyder
    Guitar: Mark Armstrong, Beverly Davis, Michael Hession
    Bass: Hiatt Knapp

The New York Mandolin Ensemble was founded by Steven Antonelli and Bob Rose, and is currently co-directed by Antonelli and Victor Kioulaphides. Active as a composer and performer in a variety of idioms, Antonelli has a separate career in education, directing a Head Start program in lower Manhattan. A freelance performer on double bass in New York City, Victor Kioulaphides is also an award-winning composer whose many works for plucked strings have received widespread acclaim and numerous performances and recordings.

The original Providence Mandolin Orchestra was founded in the early 20th century during the instrument’s “Golden Age”. The modern version of the PMO dates from 1971, when it was revived by Hibbard Perry. Since then the PMO has become the leading American mandolin ensemble with regular performances throughout the eastern United States and Western Europe. Currently the PMO is directed by Mark Davis, who pursues an active career as an educator, conductor, and performer.

Visit the PMO at its website, www.mandolin-orchestra.org and on youtube.
    Robert A. Margo

I am excited to announce the inaugural concerts of my new trio, Ensemble Fret, that heavily features mandolin:

Ensemble Fret is a performance collective founded in 2012 by Buzz Gravelle, Walter Marsh and Peter Yates. Its programs feature music for guitar, mandolin and arpeggione (bowed guitar), whether solo, in duos and trios, or in expandable combination with guest vocalists and instrumentalists. Results range from intimate art-song to massed guitars.

This program features music by Bach (three of his Sinfonias arranged for guitar, mandolin, and arpeggione), Haydn (a baryton trio arranged for same instrumentation), and Hugo Wolf (lieder arranged for two guitars and mandolin), in addition to solo guitar pieces by Josef Hauer (the mysterious and cantankerous co-inventor of 12-tone music), original pieces by myself for fretless classical guitar, and 62 variations on the "Hanging Tune" for guitar and piano written by Peter Yates. With special guest pianist Nadia Shpachenko.

Sunday, May 20, 2012 - 4:00 pm
    Organ Studio, Schoenberg Hall, UCLA
    Admission Free, parking $11

Friday, May 25, 2012 - 8:00 pm
    Recital Hall, California State Polytechnic University
    at Pomona
    Admission $10, parking $5

Hi all,

I like to draw your attention to a concert tomorrow evening during
    the Cultural festival in Lochem (Netherlands) on June 4th, 2012,
    starting at 20.00 hours in the 'Zwiepse Molen'

Name:	De Zwiepse Molen.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	87454

(the Zwiepse Mill - more 'Dutch' you can hardly find :-) ),
    Zwiepseweg 165 in Lochem

by the

Duo Stringendo;

Annegreet Rouw, Harp, and Ferdinand Binnendijk, Mandolin.

The yield of the concert will go to the HEALTH AID foundation.

Best,

Alex.

Name:	Duo-stringendo-poster2.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	87453

Surely it will be a wonderful event-- and what a picturesque venue! Please give both Ferdinand and Annegreet my warmest regards.

Cheers,

Victor

Alex: What is that mandolin that Ferdinand is holding in that poster? Very interesting scratchplate.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Might it be the "prize Calace" that Ferdinand won in Naples?

Hi Jim and Hello Victor,

Yes Victor, Bingo! The Calace is Ferdinand's trophy! The 2011 'Ripa' model by Maestro Raffaele Calace jr.; the first prize in the Calace concorso 2011!

Here is a photo I took of Ferdinand right after the last notes of final concert at the Raffaele Calace Concorso in Ripamolisano where he performed - as a 'Thank You' to Maestro Raffaele Calace jr., the jury ánd the audience - Victor's wonderful 'Variations on a Basque Melody' on that very same instrument. A fantastic and really beautiful instrument with a wonderful and brilliant sound!

Name:	Ferdinand and the 'Ripa' Calace mandolin.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	87464

Cheers to one (Ferdinand) and all (us),

Alex
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Jun-04-2012 at 2:50pm.

Hi All!

About spreading the beauty of the mandolin: Here is a photo of a solo mandolin appearance by the Dutch mandolinist FERDINAND BINNENDIJK in Ahoy Congress Center in Rotterdam (Netherlands) on May 16th, 2012.

Cheers,

Alex.

Name:	The Dutch mandolinist Ferdinand Binnendijk in the Ahoy Congress Center in Rotterdam (Netherlands.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	88295

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Who would have guessed, only a few years ago, that quiet, soft-spoken Ferdinand would become such a rock star?

A wonderful thing to witness, every step of the way...

Cheers,

Victor

Greetings everyone!

I'm pleased to announce that I will be performing my new Mandolin Concerto with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra next Saturday, June 30. The concert is part of the orchestra's summer series at the CMAC on beautiful lake Canandaigua located 30 minutes south of Rochester, NY. It's not often you'll hear a mandolin concerto followed by Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. There should be a lot of fireworks!

http://www.rpo.org/s_1/s_213/s_214/p...ith_Fireworks/

http://www.jeffmidkiff.com/news.html

Hope to see you there!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I wish I could be there and listen to your Mandolin Concerto and the other works on the programme. But unfortinately work etc. does not give me the oppertunity to go. Maybe a (complete) recording on CD of your Concerto will be available some day? That would also be nice.

For now I wish you all the success in the World!

Best greetings, Alex.

Thanks Alex!

I'm hoping that the piece will soon be recorded. If you're interested, you can hear streaming audio of the Roanoke Symphony premier at http://www.jeffmidkiff.com/concerto.html

Best,

Jeff

You are all invited for an evening concert by
    Het CONSORT conducted by Alex Timmerman.

Our special guest are the well-known Dutch counter tenor Sytse Buwalda and the harpist Annegreet Rouw.

It is going to be a concert inwhich the mandolin will be heard in duo with harp, in the trio combination with voice and guitar and in chamber mandolin orchestra strength.

Programmed are compositions by Yasuo Kuwahara, Chris Mouter, Carlos Gardel, Astor Piazzolla, Pablo Escande, Victor Kioulaphides and Leo Brouwer.

You are all very welcome!

Entree 10 Euro
    For children up to 12 years old it is free.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Poster.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	88302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 Poster.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	88303  

Best greetings from all of us!

Name:	Photo Jan Penninkhof.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	89258

And warmest greetings from sizzling Greece to you all!

Cheers,

Victor

Hi Victor (et all),

And warmest greetings to you and yours, Victor!

A little update for you and your music in Dutch atmosphere...

The four Hesse Lieder by the Asteria Ensemble were just great!!! A really worthy première that was very well received by the audience!

And your Variations on a Basque Melody were again played by Ferdinand Binnendijk in such a dazzling way that - even now nearly two days ago - the melody is still in my head!
    It was a wonderful concert for a full house! Really memorable again!

And there was a café member amongst the public. Our 'own' David Westwick and his wife Patricia happened to be in the Netherlands and had come all the way to Zwolle for the concert. That was really nice; I hope they enjoyed a wonderful concert evening!

Best greetings,

Alex.

Photo No. 1: Ferdinand Binnendijk.
    Photo No. 2 The Asteria Ensemble (Saskia Spinder, Ferdinand Binnendijk & Sytse Buwalda).

Name:	_JPE4824.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	89270 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn (1).jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	89271
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Jul-16-2012 at 9:17am.

And another photo; Annegreet Rouw on harp and Ferdiand Binnendijk on mandolin performing 'Venetian Heritage' by Tiziano Bedetti. A wonderful original composition!

Cheers, Alex.

Name:	Annegreet Rouw and Ferdinand Binnendijk performing 'Venetian Heritage'by Tiziano Bedetti..jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	89276
    Last edited by Alex Timmerman; Jul-16-2012 at 9:08am.

Alon Sariel plays classical mandolin music
    With Yael Manor on piano
    On Sunday, August 12th at 2:00 PM at Bargemusic in New York.

Reserve your seats at the floating concert hall at Fulton Ferry Landing in Brooklyn by emailing reserve@bargemusic.org. Pay by cash or check at the door, $35; $30 for seniors.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: