Thread: Truss Rod

I've tried searching to find answers to my specific questions, but haven't turned up anything.

Anyway, the neck on my Kentucky 250S has been warping lately, and a few weeks ago I put maybe a turn or less on the truss rod to straighten it out. Well, either it's bending again or the difference was enough at the time, but I need to adjust the truss rod again today.

The last time I adjusted it, I left the "nut" at a weird spot so it's hard to get an allen wrench seated properly in it. But even if I can get the wrench in, turning it doesn't seem to do anything. I know not to expect too much from a mando of this quality, but could the truss rod really be maxed out after less than a turn?

Also, I noticed a small crack (possibly) in the binding on the treble side of the neck, in the middle of the fifth fret. It could've been there for a while and I just didn't notice, but would trying to turn a maxed truss rod cause damage like that?

Thanks ahead of time for the help, this is driving me nuts.

The rod could have been close to "maxed out", and one turn was all that was left.
    The rod might not be functioning at all.
    The rod might not be installed deep enough to do much good.
    The rod might be locked in the neck with excess glue.
    The neck might be too warped for the truss rod to correct.
    The neck could be of such poor quality wood that the truss rod can't adjust it.

You've come across one of my pet peeves as a repairman. A truss rod pocket without room for a wrench! I realize some companies only put the rod in there to make us think that it's adjustable, when it's so poorly designed that it doesn't really do anything, but I'd rather be frustrated by a rod that won't work than one that I can't even get a wrench on!
    I hate it when I try to do a $5 or $10 adjustment on someone's instrument and end up spending half the afternoon finishing some builders job by making the truss rod accessible only to find out the rod doesn't work!
    OK, enough venting.

It's possible to damage a neck, and/or the finish, with too much truss rod tightening, but it's not likely. That's probably a separate problem, and might not be anything to worry about.

You should probably take it to a luthier and have it checked out.