Thread: Alvarez A-800

Just looking for info,bought an early 70s F style off ebay are these mandolins made by the same people who manufactured Ibanez? they seem very similiar. I had a lawsuit era Ibanez F 5 copy that was a great mandolin. I havent played the Alvarez yet wondereing if they are as good a mando and if so it should make a good back up. The only thing I had the bracing shaved down some laquer removed and changed the neck angle slightly on the Ibanez and man was it a dandy after that.
    2013 Northfield Big Mon #223
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Dreaming of a Pomeroy F5 Blonde w Engelmann ?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

All I know is that I had a Japanese F-model "hand made" Alvarez and the top was carved WAY too thick. I sounded very thin and I sent it back. On the other hand, I've played/owned other Alvarez mandolins that sound great.

fatt not-much-help dad
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

In my opinion,the Alvarez instruments from the 1970s-80s generally are very well made,good playing and sounding instruments that give a lot of bang for the buck.I think they tend to be underrated,but maybe not so much as they used to be.You don't see them posted for sale so frequently as you once did.
    Don.

I had an early 70's A-800 as my main mando for about 10 years. It was a very decent instrument. Alvarez is owned by St. Louis Music, Inc. Ibanez is a completely unrelated company.

I've owned two A-800's. I think they were both made in the 90's. They were pretty decent for fairly low end instruments, and they looked nice. One was really heavy and had a thick top. The tone wasn't as good on that one, and it wasn't very loud. Neither one had great intonation, which is why I finally sold them. Bridge placement was not the issue-there was some lack of precision in the fret placement that made certain notes sharp and others flat. It wasn't off by very much, and some people might not have been bothered by it, but it drove me crazy trying to stay in tune with the rest of the band.

I just wantyed to add in I recieved the Alvarez A-800 early 70s F-5 and it actually has a good sound not real loud. I t is very nice looking well made mandolin for 500.00. I took off the martin strings and stuck some J-74s made a difference the bridge needs upted and I think Ill put a cast taipiece on it and with setup it will make a fine little back up. It also was lightweight rings like a bell.
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ Aug. 20 2005, 22:16)
    I had an early 70's A-800 as my main mando for about 10 years. It was a very decent instrument. Alvarez is owned by St. Louis Music, Inc. Ibanez is a completely unrelated company.
    Hey mando Johnny the Alvarez I spoke came in and it is a very decent mandolin. I did contact St. Louis music who did tell me it would not be uncommon at all that Ibanez and Alvarez easily could have been manufactued in the same factory with very little differences other than name.
    2004 Gibson A9
    1981 #1132 Flatiron 1N
    2013 Gibson F9