Thread: Mandolin size

I know there have been discussions on the sizes of mandolins, but I am looking for information on extending the side walls only on a F-5. I'm thinking 1/8 to 3/16 taller and what should I expect? How should it change the fundimental tone and volume? I'd appreciate anyone's opinion that might have experimented with this. Thanks, Ken Cartwright
    Cartwright's Music & Repair Shop
    "I repair what others sell"
    Stayton, Oregon

Ken, I made an "A" once with sides about 3/32" deeper than normal. When I strung it up in the white, the sound seemed lost inside the box. I took the back off and sanded it down 3/32" and the sound jumped out of the instrument.

Ken, I too have experimented on this subject, making the sides wider than 1 1/2" is pushing it away from the sound I really wanted, it became a bit dull for a bluegrass instrument and the tone was not what I was looking for either. Although some have done that and have like the wider sides, I now stay with my sides at 1 1/2" or a 1/32" less, makes for the punch I'm looking for in a fine bluegrass mando. Ron
    Ron Cole

Ken- I start out my side height at 1 1/2". Then it's get's thinned down a snitch. But that's almost 1/8" taller than the standard Loar models, I believe. I wouldn't want to go taller (this is completely unscientific!) than that. I do carve my arch a little higher. Top and backs are taller, same graduations, basically as the "usual". MHO.

Do mandolas have deeper sides than mandolins or is the body just larger?

I make my mandola sides 1.75" deep.

Iirc, Lawrence Smart claimed to make his mandolin sides 1.562" deep (one and nine sixteenths) in his American Lutherie article (1998).

Norman Blake switched over to smaller bodied guitar's from his long-time dreadnaughts, as he believes that the size of the top and sides must be in synch (he also likes the bridge further back towards the centre of the top, where they are on the 12 frets) We all love mandolins because they are already like that.....(He doesn't like Loars, either, but that's easy to say because he owns one...)
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Ken, I think you will find deeper sides will tend to give a fuller sound but at the risk of less focus. Might be good with a stiffer top. I have made some mandolins many years ago with pretty deep sides and they sounded pretty good. Erik Thomas of Due West band has one, and it sounds pretty good for a 20 year old Euro top walnut mandolin.

Thanks to all who responded. I too have been leary of straying too far from the tried and true, thought I'd ask. Are all Loars consistent with the standard 1 11/32? Thanks, Kenc
    Stayton, Oregon

Ken- took my caliper over to Greg Boyds booth at wintergrass a couple of years ago, all the mandos whose name started with g- gib giv gil, were between 1.73-1.76" total depth at the side. the Czechs were all thicker. I like ovalholes a bit thicker, but they only get played aroung drunk 4 string , not 5 string, banjoplayers!

Hi Bill,
    Must be a slow a day in Bussman Canyon. I see your posts everywhere.
    Thanks for the measurements. I've handled 39 Loars to date and every time but once I had no way to measure the sides. I'm learning to carry a rule with me anymore. Now to get back to learning Little Rock Getaway. What a fingerbuster! Kenc
    Stayton, Oregon