Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW MANY DO YOU OWN?

I am curious as to how many mandolins are enough and of all that you own which one is your favorite? If we get enough responses to this thread I will sort the data and post the numbers (averages, styles, etc.).

Here are mine (all F style):

1. 2004 Weber Yellowstone Custom
    2. 1996 Flatiron Artist (Montana)
    3. 2005 Eastman MD 615
    4. 1974 Alvarez (Not sure of the model number)

Favorite: 1996 Flatiron
    1991 Flatiron Festival
    2010 Morgan Monroe MDM 2
    1997 Martin D-35
    2012 Taylor 410CE LTD
    1977 Fender F-65

1. Old Wave c#
    2. Breedlove KF
    3. Morris A-4
    4. 1908 Gibson A-4
    5. Eastman MD-504
    6. Hodson Djangolin
    7. Epiphone Mandobird
    8. Triggs A-5
    9. Eastman MD-615
    10. Rigel A+ Deluxe

Favorite: I like 'em all. It's a nice variety of tones. I probably play the Breedlove the most, as it has the best feel to me. The Old Wave probably has the best bluegrass tone, the Triggs the most complex.

1. Old Wave A Oval blacktop - my all-around fave by far
    2. Rigel A+ Deluxe - most playable mando ever
    3. Parsons Flat-top - a great beater and at $250, the best mando deal I have ever run across
    4. Mederios Travel Mandolin - best travel mandolin there is, packs in a suitcase, logged many thousands of miles with it

1-Tyler Mountain F-TMM60
    2-MK Firefly
    3-Soon to be MK Classic
    Dont have a favorite yet. Im still pretty new to this.

(Wow! You guys have some pretty nice stuff.)
    " Eastman 514 #31 "

1. 198? Triplett F (label has beer or tears spilled on it, can't make out the date)
    2. 2002 Kentucky KM 150S
    2. 2004 Gibson A-9
    3. 2005 National M-1 resonator

At the moment, the National is my favorite, but that's mostly because I just got it today. Loud, loud, loud, much too loud for how badly I play. But the tone is not what I expected from a resonator- still sounds like a wooden instrument, not a hubcap. In my decidedly amateur opinion, National really got this one right.

They're all great- the Gibson for its playability and sound, the Kentucky for its ability to go to beach bonfires and grungy campsites, the Triplett for its sound, its suave F-style blacktop looks and because it was my first, and the National because it's my next.

Long live MAS!

This is my first post and I bought my first mandolin last week at Rudy's in NY. It is a Rigel A+ Supreme in "custom burst" or so says the receipt. Not even sure what it all is yet, but she sure is purty and sure is fun to learn. It's really all very new to me, learning from the Mel Bay book for beginners, so I guess you could put me in the ultra newbie category.

I have 3

1. MK Legacy Evolution
    2. Fender A model
    3. Dixon A model

MK is my favorite by far, but the dixon has a wonderful chop. The fender is loud, and has a far louder chop than ANY other mandolin I have ever played, but it doesn't have great tone when playing a lead.

1. #Michael Kelly Legacy O
    # # --Sold It
    2. #Mid-Missouri M-4
    3. #Phoenix Bluegrass
    4. #HDTV
    # # --Keeping my fingers crossed I'll have the bread together by Christmas
    5. #?
    # # --An Eastman F or if I'm really blessed an Arches A is in my future...

myspace.com/jeremyain

Quote Originally Posted by (omegaman @ July 22 2005, 23:27)
    I bought my first mandolin last week at Rudy's in NY. It is a Rigel A+ Supreme in "custom burst"
    Hey, Omegaman, I played that Rigel at Rudy's! That's a righteous mandolin. If that's your starter mandolin, you're off to a great start!

How many? Too many.
    Which is my favorite? This one, right here, in my lap.
    Less talk, more pick.

One pos gibson A9....unfortunately it's my favourite.
    Lee Hill

Quote Originally Posted by (RichM @ July 22 2005, 23:56)
    Hey, Omegaman, I played that Rigel at Rudy's! That's a righteous mandolin. If that's your starter mandolin, you're off to a great start!
    Cool Rich. Thanks! It was blind to a degree, but Gordon over there was helpful. Took a Weber home first and brought it back the next day and got this instead. The Weber had a small finish chip on the f-hole. I am glad I upgraded, now I'll never look back!? She has an Englemann top by the way. Here's a pic of what you played; sorry about the weak lighting, it's really more purple/violet than the pic shows:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Being tempted to take inventory, here goes:

pre-Gibson Flatiron A5-1
    pre-Gibson Flatiron 1N
    1920 Gibson A3 (whiteface)
    Stiver A
    Romanian/Korean-type Montana (my beach mandolin)
    Framus a-type looking thing (gift)
    Hondo A with an oval hole (at work)
    Taterbug (wall hanger)
    and. . . . ALL THESE (shameless plug)
    Aria M-300 two point
    Alvarez oval hole two point
    Alvarez A-400 (Martin Clone)
    Kentucky KM-160
    Ibanez Blonde finish A
    Ibanez Distressed finish A
    Kalamazoo Army-Navy style

Needless to say, the first four are my keepers. #For the normal evening, I grab my 1N the most (right now). #I love both my Flatiron and my Stiver A and can't quite figure out which is better, why I need both, or if I'll ever sell either - oh well. #There is quite a history with me and the old Gibson, so it stays also. #No matter what I say about those though, when I'm at the beach, my Montana is my favorite - I mean don't we all need something to get sand on?

f-d

¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Just one, and its my favourite!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Four. I have four.

Really, I can count to four.

There.

Blog Entries

Have one mando, a Kimble two point, though this will probably change to a Kimble F5 sometime in the future.

I bought my 7 yo an '83 Flatiron 3M (can't remember the designation w/o looking), but's the Army Navy style but with a very nice flamed maple back and sides. So if I include my son's, I've got 2.

Jim

Here they are, in the order I purchased them:

(1) Fender A style--not bad for $130 to start on.
    (2) 1950-ish Kay A style--Goodwill buy at $30. #Pretty much firewood but looks good hanging on the wall next to my old piano. #
    (3) MK Firefly F--sounds good for what I paid( $530 ). #I sold it, but the neck broke in transit. The UPS claim paid me $800, so I actually made money on this one. It's still sitting in my closet waiting to be repaired. #It sounded good; I played it next to Weber F styles, and the tone was very comparable.
    (4) Gibson F-9--bought for $1600 during the Guitar Center closeout. #I just fell in love with the tone. #I play the spit out of this thing, and it just keeps getting sweeter. #I had read( and still read ) all the Gibson bashing here on the cafe and was prepared to be underwhelmed, but this mandolin is really just in another league compared to my previous purchases. #What I'm afraid of next is when/ if I play mandolin that is that much better than the F-9. #So far, after playing a lot of different expensive ones at Buffalo Bros., the only thing that sounds as good to me is a Collings. #

MAS has subsided for now--I just have to keep away from any photos of Brentrups. #I look at those and start thinking, well, if I sold all my mandolins, and my guitars, and my first born son...

--Prof PT

Don't hate me because I know how to spell and punctuate!

Having foolishly sold my 1925 Martin A, I have four remaining:

1. 1914 Gibson A1. Refinished poorly, so I sanded most of the finish off. Especially the drips. Fabulous player's mando. Enjoy it every day, take it everywhere. (Well... everywhere I can play a mando.)

2. 1914 Gibson F4 Blackface. Gorgeous in every respect, but too nice to take anywhere. Gently played at home.

3. Breedlove Quartz KF. Well-made mando, but I never bonded with it.

4. Horrible Junker of Unknown Origin. Possibly a 60's or 70's Kent? Good for camping in very bad weather. Also useful for strengthening fingers. Not worth selling, as I already have enough enemies. Secretly planning ways to put it out of its misery.

Quote Originally Posted by (FrankenMouse @ July 23 2005, 06:58)
    2. 1914 Gibson F4 Blackface. Gorgeous in every respect, but too nice to take anywhere. Gently played at home.
    I remember this one from a post here a while back. To this day, it's still the most beautiful mandolin I've seen... So tell me, where do you live, which kind of alarm do you have, and when's your next holiday

My 2:
    - Arches Flattop, blacktop, #14.
    - Driftwood F, #14 also.

They are too different to pick a favourite. I play celtic and old-time on the Arches, jazz/blues and the rest on the Driftwood. They get about 50% of my play each.

I also have a as-yet-completely-unplayable kit mandolin. Not finished yet... I'll finish it soon... course I will!

Germain

Two rigels A+ Deluses (Deluxi?) one of which has an oval sound hole, and a Korean cheapie called VENSON that's actually pretty decent. The venson is solid mahogany, not a laminate.

I will be buying an Epiphone Mandobird in 2 days.

I also have an unplayable but pretty piece of junk I use as a wall decoration. Does that count?

1. - Kentucky KM250S
    2. - The Bluegrass - Custom made by guy in W. Va. Great mandolin.

i have two:

- a crafter m-70 acoustic/electric

... and will soon be getting:

- an m-4 mid-missouri

i expect the mid-missouri will become my favorite.

and ...

i ain't gonna' buy no-more, no-more,
    ain't gonna' buy no more.
    ain't gonna' buy no-more, no-morrrrrreee ...
    ain't gonna' buy no more.

1. Mid-Mo M3
    2. Breedlove Cascade

I play the Breedlove 80% of the time. It's new (1 month old), and I'm waiting for it to open up.

At the moment though, I'd have to say I like the sound of the Mid-Mo better.
    I play badly enough not to be terribly good, and good enough not to be terribly bad.

don't have vintage colection, but what I lack in quality I make up for in quanity:-)
    1. Goldtone GM-70 (probably going to sell her soon to a good home since she like BG better than I do)
    2. MK Legacy O
    3. Freshwater
    4. MK A solid (the mando for work)
    5. Trinity College Mandola
    6. Johnson Octave Mando (hope to upgrade to a Freshwater soon)
    7. Mandobird (probablly be selling this one as well because I got...)
    8. Mann 5 string electric mando

My fav? Depends on what I'm playing...the Freshwater sound great amplified and works well with the classical stuff I do, but when acoustic volume count the MK Legacy O rocks and of course anytime I'm playing with a drummer I get out the Mann.
    PeacE
    Brian

Well, I learned on a Rogue A that is still in the house because it really belongs to my kids. I bought a Washburn oval hole A for myself that I play most of the time. I also built an OM that didn't turn out as well as hoped, but I did get it stringable and play it some while contemplating its fate (top caved in). I also have a mando kin "slide banjimer thing" I built that has 3 courses of 2 strings tuned DAE an octave lower than mando with a 6" drum head (another home built experiment that has been morphed a couple of times). I finally ordered the Siminoff book and perhaps an F is in my future. I also buit a tenor guitar for one of my daughters that I have tuned like an OM and I play it every now and then.
    "First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker