Thread: Aria AM-500??

Default Aria AM-500??

I have a question about a mandolin I bought recently.

I picked up an Aria AM-500 mandolin. This is a 2 point style with a florentine headstock and an oval soundhole. I figure it was made somewhere in the 1970's, but have very little info other than that. It does have a sticker inside, but it just says Aria, made in Japan, and the Am-500 designation.

Does anyone know any more about these mandolins? This one plays and sounds great for what it is. I think I got a good deal for it, and it came with a hardshell case that would be correct for the 70's.

Also, any idea what its worth? If you know anything about these and want some pictures, just let me know and I'll email a couple to you.

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Aria AM-500??

Here's some stuff from Blue Book Publications; don't know how much weight to give it, though:

Mandolins currently produced in Japan, Korea, China, Indonesia, and/or Spain since the mid-1970s. Currently distributed in the U.S. by Hanser Music Group (previously HHI) in Hebron, KY. Previously distributed by Aria USA/NHF of Pennsauken, NJ. The Aria trademark was established in 1956.
    Aria is the trademark of the Arai Company of Japan, which began producing guitars in 1956. Prior to 1975, the trademark was either Aria or Aria Diamond. Original designs in the 1960s gave way to a greater emphasis on replicas of American designs in the late 1970s. Ironically, the recognition of these well-produced replicas led to success in later years as the company returned to producing original designs. The Aria trademark has always reflected high production quality, and currently there has been more emphasis on stylish designs (such as the Fullerton guitar series, or in bass designs such as the AVB-SB). Mandolins first appeared in the mid-1970s with an F-5 copy. In 1975, Aria started using the Aria Pro II brand that was primarily used on electric guitars - acoustic guitars and mandolins still used the Aria trademark. By the late 1970s, Aria was producing a full line of mandolins based on the popular Gibson A-style and F-style designs. Early series that were only produced in the mid- to late 1970s, include the PM and FM model lines. By the late 1980s, most production of Aria instruments was moved to Korea. In the 1990s and 2000s, some production has shifted to China as well. By 1994, the only mandolin series was the AM Series. Aria offers a full line of acoustic guitars, electric guitars, basses, amplifiers, banjos, and ukuleles. For more information, visit Aria's website or contact Hanser directly (see Trademark Index).

Aria also produced a model called AM500, but very little information is known about it (solid spruce top, select maple back and sides, last MSR $975 in 1991). A mandolin package that included a mandolin (unnamed model), gig-bag, pitch pipe, strap, instruction book, and picks was available during the late 1990s and early 2000s by Aria as well.

Note: Aria usually releases catalogs and price lists, but the two often don't coincide with one another. Since the marjority of Aria guitars are built overseas and distributed throughout the world, the instruments that make it to the U.S. are very unpredictable. Hanser* releases a catalog that includes all instruments that are supposed to available (this may not be updated for several years), but they'll release a price list that reflects what they have in inventory currently and what they are expected to get. Whenever possible, we use the price list to create model production years, but often times we only have a catalog.

Contact Information:
    2395 Arbortech Drive
    Hebron, KY 41038
    www.ariaguitars.com
    859-817-7100 (phone)
    859-817-7150 (fax)
    800-533-0796 (toll free)
    Distributed by Hanser Music Group

Hanser may be a possible source of more specific info on the AM-500.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

I have an Korean made Aria double point that I paid $50.00 for at a yard sale. If you go to the MC Builders & Repairs forum and do a search for Aria double points you should find my postings.

The top on mine was collapsed so I made an external bridge support and converted it into a 4 four string mandolin with an external pick up. On my other laptop I have some photos, I'll posted them later today for you.

In any event, it is a pleasant sounding instrument. However, the model I have was not made too well Currently it is consigned at the Vintage Fret Shop for $195.00 but sales are so slow in that neck of the woods it could be there for a long time - at least until the stock market comes back.

Thanks guys for the help, I'm looking forward to seeing your Aria to see is its comparable to mine.

I do know I've seen "cheaper" Japanese 2-point models from about this same period floating around. The ones with no (or little) binding and cheaper woods. From what I can tell on this, it is all solid wood, but I don't know if it is carved or molded. I know the back has a line down the middle where the two pieces were fitted together. Typically on chipboard backs you don't have that or any grain.

Also this is triple bound, including the headstock. I like the oval sound hole. It sounded pretty good in the music store so I brought it home I put some new D'Addario's on it and it's great now. I bet it'll turn some heads at bluegrass jams this fall...

Here is my Aria double point. I think it is a AM300 BS model. As I posted before, it had two unknown pieces of PVC tubing jammed up inside to support the collapsed top when I picked it up a yard sale - let the buyer beware.

I made a new external bridge support and place internal sound posts under the bridge to keep the top from collapsing even more. I converted it to a 4 strings to reduce the string stresses. I used liberty dimes to cover the four extra holes in the head stock.

I have played it at amplified ITM sessions - it sounds great. But decided to consign it for sale to add $$$ to my next mandolin fund.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0267.JPG 
Views:	417 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	45657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0273.JPG 
Views:	352 
Size:	149.6 KB 
ID:	45658  

That is pretty neat looking with the 4 strings and liberty dimes in the headstock. If I were wanting to play 4 string electric mando, I would look for something like this.

Looking at yours I can see a few obvious differences, mostly attributed to your being a 300 and mine a 500. First, mine has a bound headstock with the words "The Aria" on it, and a different design of inlay. Also mine is a lighter finish than yours is.

I'll try to get some pictures up here for comparison.

Here's some pics. Sorry they aren't smaller, I'm not too good at this uploading pictures thing...

Front:

Headstock:

Back:

Whole she-bang:

Your 500 is to be much nicer than my yard sale "300 PVC Edition". But then again yours didn't come with PVC tubing jammed up inside - that cost extra. Boy, was I surprised when I removed the strings and heard the PVC rolling around inside.

The 300 had the same extending finger board but I had to cut it off in order to get inside for the bridge rework. I put two internal braces inside for the sound posts and needed the extra room around the sound hole in order to place "C" type clamps and gluing wedges.

The tuners were the same as yours - I have them if you ever need original replacements.

BTW, it appears as though your 500 had a pick guard similar to my 300.
    Last edited by Taylor and Tenor; Sep-08-2009 at 9:55am. Reason: Sentence added

I guess the PVC is a special option that they didn't order on mine! Lol

I like mine more and more every time I play it. It's really a nice littl instrument for what I gave for it. It plays like dream and sounds like an oval hole of course, but I like it. It does have a great bluegrass chop for when I getto jam with it. There were a couple guys in the music store who played bluegrass as well so I got to do a little jamming on it before I bought it. One was a banjo man and the other a flattop player. I think I'll like it more when I can ge out to some jams coming up.

It's obvious this had a pickguard at one time. It still has the block on the neck and the hole where the brace went. When I got it ithax one of those cheap versions of the 1/2 size F5 pickguard that are so popular now. I don't mind those, but this was an ultra cheap one that was glued to the pickguard block, with super glue... Took me all of 5 seconds to get it off there. I'm not a big pickguard fan anyway. How did you get th block off of yours? I haven't tried anything with this one yet because I don't want to mess anything up and I haven't had the time.

I might take you up on those tuners. My top E turns real hard (the only one that does this) and I'm missing 3 of the screws out ofthe treble side. Not a real big deal but it would look better with all 8 in place.

These mandolins (and a few others) look to me just like the Epiphone BG-440 I had several years ago. Same shape, same rosette and binding on the soundhole. Very nice 2-pointers (if their tops aren't collapsed). I wish I had mine back. I loaned it to someone who wanted to learn mandolin for a worship band, but subsequently died in an auto incident. It was lost in the subsequent shuffle. At the time, it didn't really seem sensitive to go to the grieving family and ask to get my toy back. But I sill think about it, and hope it's playing in a worship band.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

Seems there were a lot of 2 pointers a lot like these made in the 70's and 80's, but then the shape sort of faded out. From what I can tell reading about Aria, they make their own, whether they are junk cheapo's or fairly nice instruments. Also from what I can tell the AM 500 was the nicest 2 point they made. Just wish I knew more what it is worth. I know some of the nice F shapes made in the same era are going for pretty good money (for Japanese made instruments) but selling a 2 point could prove more difficult.

If anyone knows anything more about these instruments, please let me know. Thanks!

FWIW, if you follow ebay you will find such mandolins in the ~$400 range. Or so I recall. Epiphone, Aria, and Guild had models like this, and I think all were "Made in Japan." I'm pretty certain mine was so labeled. So quit agonizing over it, pick a price, and put it up on the cafe classifieds. I've been considering replacing my BG-440.
    You live and you learn (if you're awake)
    ... but some folks get by just making stuff up.

Michael T.

You misunderstand, I'm not going to sell it (unless the price is too good to imagine, which I doubt), I'm going to keep and play it. It plays and sounds great and has a great bluegrassy "chop." Much better than the other mando I have (a Austin made in China). I was just wondering if I got a good deal. In the future, sure, I'll trade this up for something better (the musician's curse) but for now I'm happy with it!

Destroyer of Mandolins

I was about to say that it is a dead ringer for my 70's Japanese Epiphone BG-440. Except for the logo, it looks exactly the same. I've been told the BG-440 is worth around $350, if that helps give a price refference
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

The pick guard support on my 300 was attached to the side of the fret board with two very small wood screws which were easily removable. I took the pick guard off when I was doing the top repair - see attached photos.

Send me a PM whenever you make a decision on the tuners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG 
Views:	368 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	45857   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0257.JPG 
Views:	533 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	45858  

As I've posted before, I used to have a later Korean-made AM-300. Looked very similar to yours, but definitely had a plywood top (you could see the layers of ply when peeling back the soundhole edge binding. Very playable indeed, but the tone was a bit boring, so I sold it. A while ago, I posted a sound clip (souding better that I remember it to be) here.

Martin