Thread: Gilchrist picks, Still available?

David Long gave me a Gilchrist pick between sets at one of his shows last week, and I love how it sounds. When I searched the archives, the only thing I found was someone saying they were a limited run. Does anybody know of a place I can find these, or find something similar? The one I have is round edge triangle shaped like the Fender picks you see all the time, but it's much thicker. It is off white with slightly darker lines on it that kind of look like wood grain. Has Gilchrist stamped in it. I assume it's plastic but I don't know for sure. Thx.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

The Gilchrist picks are grained ivoroid. Greg Boyd had a stock of the material and was offering picks in a variety of sizes. 1-406-327-992 or www.gregboyd.com
    Hope that helps you out.

Doc

The Gilchrist picks are grained ivoroid. #Greg Boyd had a stock of the material and was offering picks in a variety of sizes. #1-406-327-9925 or www.gregboyd.com
    Hope that helps you out.

Doc

Blog Entries

I was given one of these myself and just love the tone. If all ivoroid sounds like this, its a nice one to add to the arsenal.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Doc, thanks- that's it!! The grained ivoroid picks on that site look just like the one I've got. $7 is very reasonable considering how good they sound.
    My original IV mandolin kit blog- http://makingamandolin.blogspot.com/

Apparently Mike Compton was a great user of ivoroid picks. They are one of my favorites for fat tone well in the ballpark with proplec 1.5s and those made from antique relics. Greg will make them any shape you want i'm sure.
    Doc

Default Re: Gilchrist picks, Still available?

This is a response to a old thread, but, when in Nashville earlier this year for a visit, I found and got one of these Gilchrist Ivoriod picks. The ones that are not as rounded as say the "Golden Gate" or the "Dawg" picks. They have a rounded bevel vs. a speed bevel. They are the same size as a Blue Chip TAD and about the same exact shape. Thickness is that of about a TAD 60. Anyway, I them a lot. A BC TAD 60 is my main pick (it's the one that stays with the mandolin) But at $5 each, these are GREAT backups for me (like, it's the one I keep in my wallet for when I'm in a music store and find a mandolin I want to try). And, the difference for me between it and the BC is pretty minimal.

So, if anyone is still interested in them, Carter's Vintage in Nashville has them for $5 each which includes shipping.

This has been a public service announcement.

How

Phoenix Bluegrass 93', Flatiron A-1 84' (thank you Laura) and a Kentucky KM-900 (and I like'm all!)

8. The following members say thank you to How for this post:

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

I bought six of these picks off of eBay for a low price. Cant remember what I paid, but it was less than $5 each. I love them.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    The Gilchrist picks are grained ivoroid. Greg Boyd had a stock of the material and was offering picks in a variety of sizes. 1-406-327-992 or www.gregboyd.com
    Hope that helps you out.

Doc
    Second this...Greg gave me the rounded version of his Ivoriod pics. They are amazing. Similar shape to Dawg pics, which I also love.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

The latest example of something I didn't know even existed, and now I cannot live without.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terzinator For This Useful Post:

I saw one of these several years ago and emailed Steve Gilchrist to ask where I could get one. Unexpectedly, he actually sent me one. How excited I was to get anything in the mail from Gilchrist. However, the pick was a big disappointment for me. It was one of the dullest sounding picks I ever used, and I usually like a softer tone. I passed it on to someone else on the Cafe to try.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

They are a bit dull for me also, and they do not glide off of the strings like Blue Chip and Red Bear. They are good picks, just not my personal go-to picks. YMMV, of course.

I agree with Cheryl. I acquired a supply of these from a Japanese source quite a few years ago. I really liked them at first but found that the points got rough after a few weeks of playing and the tone and feel suffered. I'm now a Proplec 1.5 guy.