Thread: Eastman 604 no. 32 review

As requested here is my "range report" on the 604 I bought from Gianna Violins. Pictures can still be found here.

First, the thing is gorgeous, the pictures don't do it justice. A couple of really good guitar players were in my office when I opened it up and I think some MAS germs were released because they had that look in their eye. One of them was sniffing it, the other bought my old mando...

The neck is not a V neck like most Eastmans I've seen, it is pretty narrow (which I like) but not drastic enough to be a V. This seems to work well with my hand as I am able to play smoothly and definately have an easier time chording.

It sounds really nice, and pretty well balanced. More bass than I am used to, but then again what I was used to was a Johnson 120. I like the extra sustain, makes my feeble attempts at crosspicking sound better and slow tunes, traditional, and celtic really shine on it.

Interestingly enough, it looks like it has tone bars instead of x bracing. This might explain why the chop was better than I was expecting from an oval. It doesn't have the chop that a quality f hole instrument has, but it would not be out of place in a BG setting either.

Overall I'm quite happy with it. Buying an instrument I had never held had me a bit nervous but this thing is great. Steve and Gianna do a great job with the setup and shipping, would buy from them again.
    Furry feet keep you warm in the winter

Congrats on your new baby!! Pass out the cigars and lets jam. #

I really enjoy playing my Eastman 805 and #hope some day to complete my stable with an Eastman oval-hole, such as yours.

Now that you have a great mandolin its time to raise the bar on your playing.

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV
    Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

Very nice. I am so close to buying an Eastman. Just gotta get a few more buck together. Gianna,s reputation seems rock solid and I will feel comfortable ordering from Steve when the time comes. Congrats on your new mandolin.

Signed: Green with envy!!
    " Eastman 514 #31 "

Congrats I have realy evjoyed my 605 I know you will love your 604 I want one but need to put some money back first. I got MAS bad. And you gave it to me. Thanks A Lot. #

I'm playing my new Eastman 614, #37 as of tonight (I think it's still up on Gianna's web site). Wow.

No, I'm not going to tell you that Sam Bush wanted to give me two Loars and his wife for my Eastman and I turned him down. I have neither the ears nor the experience to compare two instruments without holding both in my hands. But I will say that this Eastman is a WHOLE lotta musical instrument for the price of admission, and the innocculation I needed to cure my MAS. For now...

And further kudos to Steve Perry and Gianna violins. A class act all the way.