Thread: A strings out of tune

I am having a strong love affair with my MF5.The only problem is the A strings go out of tune very quickly.
    I have changed the strings and the same thing happens.
    Any Collings owners with the same problem?

This happens on EVERY mandolin. Just keep tuning!!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

If you play the mandolin, there are 2 things for certain. You'll never be in tune and you'll never make any money at it.

I've been told a bit of graphite (i.e. from a pencil) in the string slots on the nut will sort this problem out. It used to happen on my old mandolin. Haven't had a chance to try it out though because my new mandolin doesn't have this problem (yet).

I've also had that problem when I didn't wrap enough string around the post.

All of my mandos have the a string problem, some worse than others...but it is not that strange to have it happen..will try the graphite though...can't hurt
    PeacE
    Brian

what guage A string are you using?
    Russ Jordan

Tune up to pitch, not down.
    Make sure the nut slots fit the string guage.
    Lube the slots with graphite.
    Do the strings catch at the bridge?
    Use quality strings.
    Are the tuners running smoothly?
    Is the intonation set correctly?

Peace, Mooh.

Do all the stuff above. #I took my mando to the blue guitar in san diego and they are the best. # they did all of the above and it works perfect.......but it is a weber !!!!!!
    ntriesch

Some mandolins do stay in tune better than others.

My Gibson 2002 Gibson Fern, Stanley #8 and Wiens #12 stay in tune very well, but I've had others, including a Gilchrist, that did have more A-string problems.

i must admit the tuners on my mf-5 suck..they feel like they have gravel in them and anytime i put sideward pressure on a string , it drops slightly in pitch...(i do install strings with a half hitch and plenty of wraps)
    mike conroy--
    1980 Monteleone m-5 (#46)
    Collings mf-5 (#88)

It is written: "Q: why do mandolins have 8 strings ? A: to increase the odds that one of them is in tune..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

This is something I just don't understand. If my $200 Washburn wouldn't stay in tune, I would take it in for warrantied service. I can't fathom paying several times as much and then putting up with problems like that. If the nut slot allows the string to move freely and the string is properly attached to the post, then it has to be the tuner. I would make sure all the screws on the tuners were good and tight. If they were, I would ask Collings to replace the tuner. Offer to swap it out if they send another and return the bad one.

I am making some assumptions about a number of things not being the problems becuse you have strings on either side that stay in tune much better.

All instruments need tuning from time to time. It's not like I never have to tune mine; of course I do. But if I kept having a particular string go noticeably out of tune in far less time than the others, I would absolutely consider it a defect.

"First you master your instrument, then you master the music, then you forget about all that ... and just play"
    Charlie "Bird" Parker

my question would be - has it always done that, or is this just happening recently? it could be some "slop" in the key post - try adjusting the screw on the tuner shaft, or checking the tuner grommet for play. and yes, winding will affect tuning also. too many wraps will sometimes cause trouble. there is a post on the correct way to string a mando at frets.com.

I'm yet to see the mandolin that doesn't require more attention to the A strings than to the others. After all, they're the ones seeing the most action (at least in the Irish stuff I play). I've never had Waverleys but every other brand of tuner I've used has necessitated minor adjustments to the A string over the course of an hours playing. I've certainly had tuners that could barely get through one tune with the strings staying at pitch, but I don't think that's what we're talking about here. Strings heat up a bit from playing and their dimensions change slightly. Plus, as they get older, their resiliency is lost to a degree from "work hardening." I think those are part of what's going on. Also, if you put heavier strings on than the instrument came with, the nut and saddle slots may be too narrow and the strings might be snagging.

Bob DeVellis

It's not likely, but make sure the tailpiece isn't a bit loose. That would affect all the strings but, as my mother used to say, "there's a first time for everything".

Other related concerns I run into (besides the one I listed a few posts above) are tipped or split bridge saddle, improperly located bridge, nut, and even frets.

Peace, Mooh.