Thread: NMD: Eastman MD605

Default NMD: Eastman MD605

Greetings, fellow mandoliners!

It has taken me many (about 15) years to track down a mandolin. This sounds crazy. Short version: Fifteen years ago, it was harder to find affordable, high quality mandolins at the price they can be found now. We all know that. The instruments were all so discouragingly bad that I gave up once, twice, three times (each time a new, horrible instrument made by some sadist who hates the mandolin, it seemed), until some years ago I discovered this forum and began to do what amounted to literal years of research and playing every mandolin (badly) within a two hour drive. I concluded that Eastmans were for me, and then began the long process of waiting for the right price at the right time. That day finally came yesterday.

I cannot thank the fellow enough for the deal he gave me on it- well below half price new- and it has been lovingly played for years. It is an '08, and he played both bluegrass and Irish traditional music on this for nearly a decade. It is remarkably loud, beautiful to behold, and has a sweet tonality unlike any of the three garbage cans I had owned in the past.

Proudly, I admit that I know nothing about playing the mandolin. While I play the guitar, I have read enough to know that it won't really help outside the basic mechanics of playing a fretted instrument and knowing my music theory. I am absolutely thrilled to begin down the path of learning to play a new instrument, and a new style of music. I am planning to focus on bluegrass and American traditional music, for which there is a fantastic community of players and teachers in my area.

Here it is!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4705.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	155300

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheGrayFox For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: NMD: Eastman MD605

WOW! Congratulations on the score! And THANKS!

For ...
    Sharing your story (it's great)
    Sharing your enthusiasm.

It sounds like you have an awesome plan for proceeding. Good luck on the journey, and have a ton of fun with it.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I attended a fiddle camp (mando's, guitars, banjo's too) last summer. The intermediate instructor had a 605 and it was a terrific mandolin, one of the best Eastman's I have heard. Enjoy it and put it to good use.

Congrats on scoring a great deal. It won't seem like your guitar experience is helping at first, but once you get acclimated to the physical difference I bet you find that it kicks in. I played guitar for over 20 years before mandolin, and once I got my feet wet it has definitely helped me. I've been playing mandolin about a year, and I'm probably to the point I was 2 years into guitar.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Congrats. MD-605 was my first too. It's still my main player.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.