Thread: What it costs to build an instrument

Default What it costs to build an instrument

Some of this is inaccurate IMO, but the basic thesis is sound and an interesting read.... what applies to guitars applies to mandolins too, except the market size is much smaller (shorter production runs).

https://reverb.com/news/guitaronomic...build-a-guitar

Default Re: What it costs to build an instrument

I think this applies to large scale well known mass produced global brands. The instruments I play and love the most are built by two different one-man-shop American luthiers. There is no automation or large scale production. Assuming that material costs (wood, hardware, expendable tools) are roughly equal among this niche, the main factors affecting instrument costs to the consumer are the time it takes to build and the builder's reputation. We recently had a thread on top-dollar builders that give an idea what the most sought after builders can get.

I don't think that my favorite luthiers spend appreciably less time and effort or use materials an order of magnitude cheaper than "the big guys", but I can get an awesome sounding, beautifully built custom instrument from them for $2k - $4k. The additional $16k - $18k I'd have to spend to get the most sought after brand is based mostly on reputation, which is based on what they sell for, which is based on scarcity, which drives cost, which builds reputation, which drives demand, which drives scarcity....

The article above doesn't discuss any of this.

Default Re: What it costs to build an instrument

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    I think this applies to large scale well known mass produced global brands. The instruments I play and love the most are built by two different one-man-shop American luthiers. There is no automation or large scale production. Assuming that material costs (wood, hardware, expendable tools) are roughly equal among this niche, the main factors affecting instrument costs to the consumer are the time it takes to build and the builder's reputation. We recently had a thread on top-dollar builders that give an idea what the most sought after builders can get.

I don't think that my favorite luthiers spend appreciably less time and effort or use materials an order of magnitude cheaper than "the big guys", but I can get an awesome sounding, beautifully built custom instrument from them for $2k - $4k. The additional $16k - $18k I'd have to spend to get the most sought after brand is based mostly on reputation, which is based on what they sell for, which is based on scarcity, which drives cost, which builds reputation, which drives demand, which drives scarcity....

The article above doesn't discuss any of this.
    Well, there may be a certain truth to marketing, and an image can create the demand.

It is complicated. Worse, marketing does work. We are not our own masters of decision in many things we consume. Hard to swallow.

But........there is a reason why great small builders can eventually demand more. That being, some one recognizes something they are willing to pay for. Assuming top design and construction and materials, careful finish and fret work alone can be dramatic between factory and artisan.

Having been to the big factory , and small one in nashville, i can assure most that a small builder spends a lot more time. Has to for qc.

4. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post: