Thread: Ordering from Mel Bay

Default Ordering from Mel Bay

I thought I would take advantage of the current Mel Bay promotion and ordered an e-book just now. After giving my payment info, I was taken to a confirmation screen thanking me for my order, and stating: "To retrieve your eBook . . . click on the link at the bottom of this email that is listed after your eBook title." (even though the confirmation screen is not an email). However no such link appears on the confirmation screen.

At the same time I received an email which also says "click on the link at the bottom of this email that is listed after your eBook title" to download the product. Again, there is no such link in the email. However, further down it informs me "Your order is under review. When your order is approved, an email will be sent with instructions for downloading your digital product(s)."

I received the first email over an hour ago and haven't gotten any follow-up email giving the instructions. Has anyone dealt with Mel Bay before, if so, have you experienced anything similar? I'm a bit puzzled as to what about my order "needs to be approved." Am I just being impatient?

Thanks everyone.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Default Re: Ordering from Mel Bay

No offense to Mel Bay but when I placed an order last week my credit card information was stolen and there were many fraudulent charges placed on my credit card. I called Mel Bay and let them know, hopefully the problem has been taken care of. It was totally not their fault that their site was hacked - the Pentagon got hacked, can happen to anyone.

3. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Ugh, not what I needed to hear. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Meanwhile, now it's been 2 1/2 hrs since I placed the order, and still no email containing the magical keys to the kingdom . . .

Call them or email them. Complaining here will not really help. They may have some web or server problems.

I ordered an ebook from them a month or so ago and had no problems.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Call them or email them. Complaining here will not really help. They may have some web or server problems.

I ordered an ebook from them a month or so ago and had no problems.
    Glad to hear it. I have already emailed them with no response so far.

I didn't post to complain, just to see about other folks' experiences. Well, ok, to vent a little too . . .
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Same thing happened to me a year or so ago. I don't remember all the details, but seems like I ordered late in the day and got the same info you did. I went back to their site the next morning feeling pretty angryand the link showed up and downloaded with no trouble. I mainly remember that it was a frustrating experience instead of being quick and easy and the e-book I bought was not very useful to me, so I have been reluctant and haven't purchased anything else from them so far.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

8. The following members say thank you to Tom Haywood for this post:

jaycat 

All seems to be resolved this morning. I'll keep an eye on my credit card. Thanks to those who responded.

Someone might be trying to buy a banjo with your data jaycat!
    OooooohNoooooo!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

My credit isn't that good . . .

Jaycat, I said BANJO!
    Timothy F. Lewis

I too, toke advantage of the 25% off. I received the same email which made me think another one would be incoming. It took about 1.5 hours but it did arrive and I easily downloaded it to my IPad. I too will keep an eye on my CC. But that's why we use CC and not Debit cards, huh.
    Pava Player A5
    2003 Martin UMGF #24 00-18VS

Quote Originally Posted by 5bassman View Post
    . But that's why we use CC and not Debit cards, huh.
    huh?

The only time (so far this century) anyone hacked my debit card & tried to use it, the bank declined payment, closed down that card, and telephoned me to let me know.

I'm with you Jesse, been hacked twice, debit cards, bank called me within hours! Shut the cards down instantly! No real hassle except waiting for the new card.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    The only time (so far this century) anyone hacked my debit card & tried to use it, the bank declined payment, closed down that card, and telephoned me to let me know.
    You don't have the same Federally-mandated fraud protections on a debit card that you have on a credit card. Random selection from a web search: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/debit...ry?id=16090439 Referring to debit cards: "If you see unauthorized charges on your statement, but your card isn't missing, you must report the fraud within 60 days of receiving that statement. If you fail to do so, your losses could be unlimited."

17. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Mel Bay publishes a lot of books, but I think they're kind of a small operation. M-F 9-5 probably best ordering times.

Agree with what Mike said above on Debit cards.
    Plus, with a CC you can do a charge back if you don't receive your goods. With a Debit card your out of luck.
    If you use Debit cards for online purchases instead of Credit cards, you might want to read what Clark Howard's warning on this.

http://www.clark.com/dangers-of-debi...id-fraud-theft
    Pava Player A5
    2003 Martin UMGF #24 00-18VS

Debit cards are covered under different regulations. When looking for info, go to the source: https://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consu...rdstopten.html

Look at item 5. Although most banks will refund anything under $100.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Update - now Mel Bay is falling all over themselves to refund my money. I've told them it's really not necessary, but I must say they are doing a good job of customer relations.

FWIW, they also state "Our website, nor any other part of our business was hacked . . . Mel Bay does not receive or store credit card information. That information is only held by the credit card processor and the banks, so none of that information can be gathered from Mel Bay."