Thread: Apitius 2.0?

Default Apitius 2.0?

We all know Oliver was a good builder back when he first came on the scene. Now, after 10 years, he's back. His instruments look gorgeous and he's always been known for great craftsman. I didn't play any at IBMA last year, so I'm wondering who owns one of these new F5s or has some experience playing one.

Default Re: Apitius 2.0?

I am wondering the same thing of his Studio A's. Anyone? He says he specs them not like a Trad Gibson A, but like an F5 without a scroll.

The new one David Benedict is playing sure sounds incredible.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

I spent some time with a new one at Carters 2 months ago that is no longer there. It was very responsive and super easy to play. On that one, the workmanship was similar to some of the older mandolins I've played of his. Not sure if he has changed graduations at all. After knowing Steffey played one and I love his tone, and loved his tone specifically on that mandolin on those classic recordings, I set out to try a bunch of them back in the day. I probably played 5 or 6 over a few years in the early/mid 2000's and really never found one I loved. I came very close to pulling the trigger on that new one I played though.

I was so impressed after seeing Dave Benedict's videos that I ordered one, expecting delivery in June.

It was a big leap of faith, but they seem to be very well crafted instruments with wonderful tone at a price that is well below his competition.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

From his website:
    In my mandolins, I endeavor to re-create the hand made, outward aesthetics of the vintage F-5s while using my patent pending* technique for graduating the top plates to even further refine the sound.
    So what do you suppose his patentable "technique for graduating the top plates" might be?

And yes, David Benedict makes his sound superb, enough so that I too have developed "Apitius Lust". But then, his Flatiron sounded darn good too.

The F models look lovely, but I wonder how many people looking for an A model will be pleased by the appearance of the headstock design that uses F-model tuners. That design alone would put me off considering his A5. Of course it is down to personal taste, but I hazard a guess that many prospective customers would think the same as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Bob View Post
    I was so impressed after seeing Dave Benedict's videos that I ordered one, expecting delivery in June.

It was a big leap of faith, but they seem to be very well crafted instruments with wonderful tone at a price that is well below his competition.
    Cool! Isn't that 3 months ahead of schedule?

When Old School Freight Train was together I remember their mandolin player Pete Frostic played an Apitius. I was struck by the great tone he got out of his. And then a friend of mine, taking lessons from Pete, played a teaching recording which only confirmed my desire to learn more about Apitius. Only to discover they were no longer being made.

Quote Originally Posted by Upis Land View Post
    Cool! Isn't that 3 months ahead of schedule?
    Yes, I got lucky and was offered the spot of a person ahead of me who had to back out.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    The F models look lovely, but I wonder how many people looking for an A model will be pleased by the appearance of the headstock design that uses F-model tuners. That design alone would put me off considering his A5. Of course it is down to personal taste, but I hazard a guess that many prospective customers would think the same as I do.
    Matter of personal preference, I guess. I think the headstock looks great, as does the similar one on my older Eastman 505. But I think the F-or A-style nomenclature for tuners is misleading, since the body shape doesnt affect the headstock shape except by custom. And the custom is only rigid in reference to F, particularly F-5 style mandos--and I'm sure we all know the reason for that. A-styles have all kinds of headstocks. I guess Oliver just doesnt care for snakeheads on his instruments. I can live with 'em or without 'em.