Thread: Need help with playing strings

Default Need help with playing strings

I'm just beginning to play the mandolin but am having trouble.

When I try to play chords I am (not on purpose) pressing the strings on either side of the strings I am trying to play.

Any suggestions or help on resolving this problem?

Any exercises I can work on?

Thanks

Default Re: Need help with playing strings

Arch your fingers more, so that the tips engage the strings only.

And, practice. If you're "just beginning," you need to learn what works for you and what doesn't. No one starts out as an expert.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Yep, definitely work on arching your fingers and playing with the tips. You need to be holding it and fretting it the way violin players do, not the way guitar players do.

The more you get into mandolin playing, the more you will realize just how much it requires very precise finger movements. The location of your fingers, the shape of your hand, the pressure you use, are all going to require years of work to get them just right. Don't be intimidated by it; just realize that it's going to take time and experience. Most average people who don't play musical instruments are not used to having to use fine motor control in their hands. They mainly use their hands like claws for everyday tasks. But playing a stringed instrument, especially a smaller one like the mandolin, is going to take a lot of dexterity training. It will come with time, patience, and practice.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

5. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

Good advice above--- it also occurs to me to ask if your mandolin has been set up properly? If your action is quite high, you may be sort of rolling off the strings a bit.

Come and join 'us' here....http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=76 we are all where you are, or were very recently, .....it really is all about 'time' with the instrument in hand......but to want to hang in there until time starts to win out, you need to maintain your spirits.

Most of us are full of spirits .... even in the playing of one song most of us can go from, to , to , to with a bit of ....but we still

Look at the angle you are holding the instrument at also. Sometimes angling it differently, both up and down as well as toward or away from your body can help. Assuming you are playing with a strap, then strap adjustment can make a difference. If you are not using a strap, you might want to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Yep, definitely work on arching your fingers and playing with the tips. You need to be holding it and fretting it the way violin players do, not the way guitar players do.

The more you get into mandolin playing, the more you will realize just how much it requires very precise finger movements. The location of your fingers, the shape of your hand, the pressure you use, are all going to require years of work to get them just right. Don't be intimidated by it; just realize that it's going to take time and experience. Most average people who don't play musical instruments are not used to having to use fine motor control in their hands. They mainly use their hands like claws for everyday tasks. But playing a stringed instrument, especially a smaller one like the mandolin, is going to take a lot of dexterity training. It will come with time, patience, and practice.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll work at it.

Doug

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Doug , as NEH57 said , join the newbies group. You can find us at the 'listen and learn' drop down menu and select 'social groups' . Hope to see you over there.
    Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8