Thread: Gibby banjo-mandolin

Default Gibby banjo-mandolin

I'm very tempted - I've not owned a jo-lin (do play other banjos). Looks like fun - this looks pretty nice - I like the pickguard (I'm a 'fingers down' for fine work player)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-1922-...AAAOSw9GhYl7L6

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gibby banjo-mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    I'm very tempted - I've not owned a jo-lin (do play other banjos). Looks like fun - this looks pretty nice - I like the pickguard (I'm a 'fingers down' for fine work player)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-1922-...AAAOSw9GhYl7L6
    Well the tuning machines are from 2 different models, they are not the same!

Blog Entries

I have a Vega Little Wonder which was the start of my transition from banjo to mandolin. Logical, huh? Well, let that be a warning.

I don't play it much any more. If you take one to a jam you get some curiosity at first but you soon get the impression that you are being tolerated or humored. Folks just don't take it seriously, at least not in my limited experience. Maybe it was me that wasn't being taken seriously. Oh well.

The Gibson in your post looks a bit pricey considering the missing stuff and the tuners. But then Gibson's do get the money and respect. I think you could get a decent Vega (without resonator) for half of that and still be able to drown out anybody in a jam except somebody with a real banjo. Then you laugh, put it away, and get out your Mastertone. Or a real mandolin.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

4. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I'd play rag-time/raggy solos, blues, some of the same stuff I play on plectrum banjos...but sometimes I hanker for something more low-down, funky, real raggy..

Used to have a Vega White Laydie banjo/mandolin that would drown out about anything, banjo's included. I used it for acoustic dances outside. Mandolin-play hard and barely be heard. Banjo/mandolin-play easy and kick out mucho sound. This Gibson is an early one without the tone ring of a couple years later, also missing the trapdoor which I think should be on the back.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

7. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

JimY 

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Banjo/mandolin-play easy and kick out mucho sound.
    Eez why I use em! Used to lug an elec gtr and amp around...got lazy and ditched that stuff for a plectrum banjo - eschewing subtlety for efficiency

9. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Too expensive, considering vintage and condition, IMHO.

There are a ton of mandolin-banjos around, if you're not committed to getting a Gibson. Most of them don't have pickguards, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post

There are a ton of mandolin-banjos around, if you're not committed to getting a Gibson. Most of them don't have pickguards, though.
    Ya there're tons of em - though most I see are in rough shape, and probably most of those are unplayable without a dowel/neck reset

Well I'm over my hankering for the time being. But ya the pickguard caught my eye - nice feature for me..

13. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

"Gibby Jo-Lin"? -- way too cute for me, but knock yourself out.

The only banjo-mandolin I ever played and still own is a style 25 Weymann with a 7 inch pot. It almost has clear notes for some reason. Actually Weymann did provide compensated bridges.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    "Gibby Jo-Lin"? -- way too cute for me, but knock yourself out.
    I wasn't going for 'cute' - only abbreviated.

*I'm so verbose on here, I try to limit my characters.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-26-2017 at 9:47pm.

Ya there're tons of em - though most I see are in rough shape, and probably most of those are unplayable without a dowel/neck reset Well I'm over my hankering for the time being. But ya the pickguard caught my eye - nice feature for me..
    If you're not pickguard-fixated, and want one that's pro-set-up and backed by a reliable dealer, Dave Stutzman here in Rochester has a nice Orpheum for sale for $459 with original HSC.

Last time I was in his shop he had a couple more which he hasn't put on his website. Bernunzio has a few as well, including a Gibson-made Kalamazoo.

No pickguards, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

You may find that you'll want to change from the " 'fingers down' for fine work". I play my banjolin quite a bit and have found that I need to lightly touch the unpicked bass strings with the palm of my picking hand to cut down the sympathetic vibrations and improve the tone. The pick-guard would not be an issue, then.

19. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

I do both simultaneously: "fingers down" is only really just lightly touching/brushing my fingertips, and is always adapted given the ergo dictates of a given instr. - e.g. most of my fretted str instruments dont have 'pickguards' - and so I can shift my hand, wrist, arm around as needed for muting and all..

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

"Gibby Jo-Lin"? --......
    +1

The forum equivalent of long fingernails on a chalkboard.

Mick

BTW, I've got one. It is loud.
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    +1

The forum equivalent of long fingernails on a chalkboard.

Mick

BTW, I've got one. It is loud.
    I've never gotten social queues well. Can you be more specific as to why such abbreviations are so evocative?

I wasn't going for 'cute' - only abbreviated.

*I'm so verbose on here, I try to limit my characters.
    Hah! Gibby (5 characters) vs. Gibson (6 characters) — sorry! It is just my curmudgeoness: don't know why but I hate "Gibby". Please excuse me.

I could be wrong about this but I have a feeling that the pickguard on the Gibson is an after-market one. I have a B&D banjo that has a similar one, ivoroid. In fact I see very few banjos with pickguards but the ones I have seem look like those.

I wonder if they show up in catalogs with pickguards. It is late but I could look tomorrow.

Actually, I am wrong:
    1920 Gibson Banjo Catalog
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Mar-27-2017 at 10:17pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Ah I see. Yes I remember there being some bru ha here years ago over the word 'gibby' - yes I'm not much fond of 'mando' or 'zook' but I do use em here occasionally for expediency.

Maybe Scott or Mike can edit the title? Didn't mean to sew any discord.
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-27-2017 at 11:16pm.

... Didn't mean to sew any discord.
    Sewing discord requires one of those heavy-duty machines that can handle thick fabrics. Just kidding, I'm not really a member of the Grammar Police, and (like many people I presume) when I'm using my phone it often 'helpfully' changes my spelling even when I know better... my spelling accuracy is far higher on an old-fashioned manual typewriter than on some of these modern newfangled electronic thingies that are always trying to out-think me. Lol.

26. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

It is truly all right. I was just expressing my crankiness. I did not mean to create any discordant sowing esp of a musical nature. Carry on. Freedom of expression if you will and truly want to say "Gibby" feel free. I will just put my metaphoric fingers into my ears.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    Sewing discord requires one of those heavy-duty machines...
    Right um, it was late? (I *know* im getting old). That's what I get for my verbosity.

Wheres the self-flagellating smiley icon? Double for me!!
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-28-2017 at 11:37am.

When did nicknames go out of style? You know, calling Mr. Smith "Smitty?" Calling Mr. Spencer "Spence?" Of course, there's Richard and Dick, Anthony and Tony, Margaret and Peggy.......(hmm, never really got that one?!!!)

I think it's more a 'brand consciousness/respect" thing - the same phenomenon occurs on, yep, banjo fora.

I'm going back to bagpipes - where the music is only diddly anyway..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Mar-28-2017 at 3:20pm.

Hah! Gibby (5 characters) vs. Gibson (6 characters) — ]
    Well, I'm in no hurry so I always just say I'm

"gonna play a tune on the ole Gibbarooney banjamandarooniolio"