Thread: So, I have a Merrill Mandolin

Default So, I have a Merrill Mandolin

I have a Merrill Mandolin that was my great grandfathers. I think from about 1895 from info I got online. It has an aluminum bowl and a case. There are no strings on it but is in very good condition. I was wondering if anyone would know the value of it. I might want to sell it, so I want to be well informed first. Thanks for any help.[ATTACH=CONFIG]155207[ATTACH=CONFIG]155208
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	353.1 KB 
ID:	155207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	496.1 KB 
ID:	155208  
    Last edited by merrill mandolin; Mar-23-2017 at 4:55pm.

Default Re: So, I have a Merrill Mandolin

Pictures would help. Merrill instruments ranged from plain aluminum to very ornately engraved. I don't believe any are worth a fortune; that's not because of any quality issue, but just because few people are familiar with them and because bowl-backs are not generally in high demand.

Also, if you can tell us where you're located, we may be able to suggest some stores that would be qualified to appraise it in person.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

3. The following members say thank you to nmiller for this post:

I'm in Southbury,Ct

Uh oh - two CT residents with Merrills. Should they ever meet, they will cancel each other out in a huge explosion. I guess if it takes out Waterbury, there's no harm done.

You could try AcousticMusic.org in Guilford (despite the name, they have an actual store with regular hours); they're the folks most familiar with old acoustic instruments in the area. If you're planning on heading to NYC, you have a lot more options. I'd take it to RetroFret in Brooklyn, as they specialize in the weird and obscure side of vintage instruments so this would be right up their alley.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

6. The following members say thank you to nmiller for this post:

Thanks for your help. I'll try Guilford

i paid around $250 for my Merrill, on eBay. It's a lot like yours, profusely engraved on the bowl. Yours has a nicer pickguard, and is more nicely bound, so might be worth a bit more, though its bridge is missing.

You're about right regarding the date. The Aluminum Musical Instrument Co. was only in business for a few years, since Mr. Merrill was a somewhat unscrupulous businessman, and his company was sued out of business, I believe.

i like my Merrill, use it fairly often for historical programs. The aluminum bowl's unusual enough to evoke quite a bit of interest. I have seen, in the distant past, an all-aluminum bowl-back mandolin, soundboard and neck included, but I don't know who made it. As I recall, it was painted purple, for decorative purposes I guess. I didn't get a chance to buy it, but would have, since it's apparently even rarer than a Merrill.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM