Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Blue-Chip-Never looking Back !

Default New to Blue-Chip-Never looking Back !

I just picked up a BC TD-55 while I was in Tn. last week and my mandolin has never sounded so good. I now see what all the fuss is about. It was nice that the people at Carter Vintage Guitars let me "test-drive" it before I bought it. It totally smokes every other pick Ive tried including prime tone . It's faster, louder and seams to have this "snap" to it that really make my mando bark. Absolutely sold . Never going back to a conventional pick. And when you think about all the picks this will replace, the 35.00$ price tag really isn't that bad considering you can play one for life !
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fidlplr1979 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: New to Blue-Chip-Never looking Back !

Unless you lose it, then there's wailing, gnashing of teeth, renting of sackcloth, and a search that would put an FBI tracking unit to shame

Yeah, I'm a fan as well. I've been playing them for probably 4 years now, almost exclusively. They don't go to high risk areas like my friend's lake dock, and I've managed to not lose one yet, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. I've got one mando I still feel like my Wegen 140 sounds better on, but the others get a BC. Even better than the tone, for me, is the way they glide through the strings and stick in your hand.

Welcome aboard!
    Chuck

I love picks way too much to exclusively use anything, but my main squeeze is a TAD60. I have a CT55 on the way I'm excited to try.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by fidlplr1979 View Post
    I just picked up a BC TD-55 while I was in Tn. last week and my mandolin has never sounded so good. I now see what all the fuss is about. It was nice that the people at Carter Vintage Guitars let me "test-drive" it before I bought it. It totally smokes every other pick Ive tried including prime tone . It's faster, louder and seams to have this "snap" to it that really make my mando bark. Absolutely sold . Never going back to a conventional pick. And when you think about all the picks this will replace, the 35.00$ price tag really isn't that bad considering you can play one for life !
    I agree they are worth it. But I have one that I've worn down so much, I did replace it. Still cool with it. Primetone picks are nice and really close for the price.
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

Blog Entries

for a few dollars more get the rfid with global tracking

7. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Yea those RFID chips will fix it..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Unless you lose it, then there's wailing, gnashing of teeth, renting of sackcloth, and a search that would put an FBI tracking unit to shame !

The secret, seriously, is: don't lose it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Unless you lose it, then there's wailing, gnashing of teeth, renting of sackcloth, and a search that would put an FBI tracking unit to shame
    Don't forget the cursing and the blaming of the wife. Since the area rugs in my house are predominantly brown, they tend to "swallow" up my BC picks if I happen to drop them on the floor. They are virtually impossible to find, and every time it has happened, I've had to apologize to my wife after I found them. I'm normally a pretty mellow guy who is not quick to anger or blame, but something happens when a BC pick goes missing.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Don't forget the cursing and the blaming of the wife. Since the area rugs in my house are predominantly brown, they tend to "swallow" up my BC picks if I happen to drop them on the floor. They are virtually impossible to find, and every time it has happened, I've had to apologize to my wife after I found them. I'm normally a pretty mellow guy who is not quick to anger or blame, but something happens when a BC pick goes missing.
    Buy a bunch of really bright LED flashlights...one can never have too many flashlights...or picks...and don't forget the batteries.

Seriously, I WILL buy a Blue Chip pick before the year is over, but I have not decided on the shape yet.
    Dobro Mandolin
    Kentucky Dawg Mandola
    Fender FM-53S
    Rogue RM-100A-BK

Yeah, I'm a fan as well. I've been playing them for probably 4 years now, almost exclusively. They don't go to high risk areas like my friend's lake dock, and I've managed to not lose one yet, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. I've got one mando I still feel like my Wegen 140 sounds better on, but the others get a BC. Even better than the tone, for me, is the way they glide through the strings and stick in your hand.

Welcome aboard!
    I know, my speed and dexterity in my right hand is way better than it was.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Quote Originally Posted by Chanmandolin View Post
    I agree they are worth it. But I have one that I've worn down so much, I did replace it. Still cool with it. Primetone picks are nice and really close for the price.
    I also picked up a few Primetone as back-up but I would have to say they don't hold a candle on my mando to the BC. Sounds dull and lifeless in comparison.

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Hahah lol, i have to laugh cus I lost it for about five minutes the other night when I put it down and forgot where I'd put it...I started to actually have quickness of breath at the thought of having to go back to my Fender Extra-Heavy ! LOL I could see it leading to an all-out panic attack had it not shown up.

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

If you can try some different shapes out on your particular mando at a music store - thats the best way to go. I had a hard time deciding between the "teardrop" and the "tripoint" similar in shape to the one in your profile pic. Glad I got to test drive them before dropping 35$

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Blog Entries

I found that the $ tag caused me to be a little more methodical on where I sit it down. Every surface in my house is camouflage for a BC

18. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

These are great posts! It's wonderful that people are happy and playing music. If Blue Chip picks help people get there, hurray for Blue Chip picks! I feel the same way about my Wegen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jesserules View Post
    I feel the same way about my Wegen.
    I like the Wegen as well. I use a BC TAD60 for small venues and at home, where the better tone is apparent, and the Wegen TF140 for large venues, crowded jams, etc., where the subtle tone qualities aren't the point anyway and I need a little more punch.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I continue to be disappointed that the folks selling Blue Chips can't add some color to the mud-brown, the perfect color to disappear on most floors. Really? They can add gold type but can't color this stuff?

A Dunlop Ultex 1.00mm is a decent backup, as it has the bevel that gives a nice "ping" to the tone. Equivalent thickness with a rounded edge (like Fender) is pretty dull--I tested this out with Ultex. If I round the edge it loses its tone very substantially. At $0.30 each they're a good buy, and very powerful in tone. I can chew through one in a couple of days, but most players would get much longer.

The $35 BC price buys me a few years' supply of Ultex, and I can have as many spares as I like. on top of which they're pretty easy to spot on multiple color floors. Their light color shows well on dark floors, and the dark type shows well on light carpet (either side as they are transparent).

That said, the Blue Chip material is cool stuff, way loud, etc., and lasts a long time. But the entire mandolin community should be hounding BC to color their expensive item. (I emailed them and got no answer on the subject.)
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I know, I long for a fluorescent green or fluorescent orange Blue Chip pick! Easy to find if you drop it, and easy to spot if someone "lifts" it!

Yep, my BCs stay in he strings of their assigned instrument if I'm not playing...those suckers can hide, man!!
    Chuck

It's still my number one choice,,but why don't they call them brown chip picks,,or buffalo chip picks ??

CT55 & TAD60 are easily my favorites. The Primetones are a viable substitute, but I love everything about the BC material, including the color. The Wengen works for me on some instruments, but not all. This straight from their faq:

The specially formulated material used to create BlueChip Picks is brown as a result of the complex chemical makeup and processes it undergoes.

BlueChip picks is named after our machine shop, Blue Chip Machining.

Unfortunately there is no way to change the color of the material without changing the chemical makeup. Odd as it may seem, BlueChip Picks only come in brown.

Quote Originally Posted by spufman View Post
    Unfortunately there is no way to change the color of the material without changing the chemical makeup. Odd as it may seem, BlueChip Picks only come in brown.
    Yeah, I remember this coming up years ago. And it's not like BlueChip is actually making the material, right? It's a proprietary material that is purchased in sheets and then made into pick shapes.

But isn't there some way to engrave and add color to the top, as is done with the text on the picks? I realize that would add more cost, but the option of having a large logo with white or some other coloring in it would certainly help. People "losing" their BlueChip picks on the floor/carpet is a very real issue.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

Blog Entries

They could (at nil expense) engrave both sides with as much logo as possible unless you pay for custom. I think the engraved side stands out a TAD bit over the plain. After I settled on a favorite, I had them put my area code + phone number on it just in case someone finds it and has a soul

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Blue Chip picks have even been known to cure MAS! (okay so that may be true, but don't say it too loudly. I still really want an F4)

It certainly has improved the tone and punchiness of my 615, idk about "curing" MAS but it sure has put it into remission for me for awhile, lol

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns