Thread: Best place(s) to buy

===========

Default Best place(s) to buy

To be brief - I am looking to seriously upgrade my mandolin in the next few weeks, and am looking for places that do a nice setup job on their mandolins, before shipping. (I can do some basic set up work on my own, but I draw the line at things like fret-leveling/crowning, etc.)

I have read excellent things about The Mandolin Store . . . any other recommendations?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best place(s) to buy

I like the 30 day return from Elderly on new instruments. The setup from Elderly is fine and they will work with your specs if you ask. I've only bought from there, so I can't speak of others, but the sponsors on this site all have stellar rep. See links on home page and classifieds.

Blog Entries

Mike, if I were buying new I'd be talking to Robert Fear at Folk Musician.

If you spend any time at all here on Mandolin Cafe, you'll get to know Robert. He's extremely helpful here, and he's a remarkably detailed setup enthusiast.

With most non-boutique instruments, setup is just about a requirement. Setup is one of the things Folk Musician is known for.

(NFI)
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Quote Originally Posted by MikeZito View Post
    To be brief - I am looking to seriously upgrade my mandolin in the next few weeks, and am looking for places that do a nice setup job on their mandolins, before shipping. (I can do some basic set up work on my own, but I draw the line at things like fret-leveling/crowning, etc.)

I have read excellent things about The Mandolin Store . . . any other recommendations?
    How serious an upgrade are you looking at? Eastman, Northfield, Collings, Ellis, Dudenbostel?

5. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

===========

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    How serious an upgrade are you looking at? Eastman, Northfield, Collings, Ellis, Dudenbostel?
    Right now I am thinking an F-style Kentucky Master Model, but I am completely open to Gibson, Rigel, etc. - as long as it is the 'right one'. (I played a Custom Rigel R-100 for a couple of years . . . the first white one they ever made . . . man was that thing nice!)

Anyhow - believe it or not, I actually LIKE the look of a well-worn mandolin . . . so the thought of a used instrument that plays well but looks terrible is no problem for me.

The search continues . . .

The Mandolin Store does a lovely set up on all their instruments too!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

If you're looking for Kentucky, +1 for Robert @ Folk Musician, but a quick look at his site shows the Kentucky Master Models out of stock. I've been really pleased with the MandoVooDoo setup by Stephen Perry @ Gianna Violins. It appears that he's selling Kentucky now too.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Mike, if I were buying new I'd be talking to Robert Fear at Folk Musician.

If you spend any time at all here on Mandolin Cafe, you'll get to know Robert. He's extremely helpful here, and he's a remarkably detailed setup enthusiast.

With most non-boutique instruments, setup is just about a requirement. Setup is one of the things Folk Musician is known for.

(NFI)
    I will second Robert Fear, though you won't go wrong with the Mandolin Store or Elderly from what I hear.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Hmmm...I think I'm detecting a pattern here!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I would agree with the Folk Musician, the Mandolin Store, or Elderly. All do excellent set-ups, IMHO. NFI.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    I would agree with the Folk Musician, the Mandolin Store, or Elderly. All do excellent set-ups, IMHO. NFI.
    Most places will set up, but you may have to do final tweaking, I have from some places mentioned.

Since you're shopping online and will be able to choose from many mandolins I'll add Gryphon. They too have a great inventory, ship instruments, and have an incredible lutherie/repair/set-up department.

My first piece of advice is to go to a store that has a selection of mandolins in your price range -- if possible. Many of us shop on-line out of necessity, but there really is no substitute for hands-on evaluation. Every individual instrument differs, subtly or obviously, and you can play two "identical" mandolins and find them quite distinct.

I would especially say that if you contemplate spending four figures or more on a new instrument, it makes sense to add the extra time and expense of a manageable "road trip" to a better-stocked dealer, where you can play perhaps a half-dozen mandolins that meet your criteria.

FolkMusician, Mandolin Store, and Elderly Instruments are all fine and reputable dealers who will give you good information, and assist you in selecting a suitable instrument. Here in Rochester NY, there are two fine dealers, Dave Stutzman and John Bernunzio, who have good inventories and provide pro set-ups, support and customer service. Not every location has that resource -- not sure where you're located -- so you may not have the option to "try before you buy," but personally, I'd have a problem if I couldn't try and compare several mandolins before choosing one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

allenhopkins, I envy you. There are NO stores around here that carry mandolins, even if I drive to Cleveland or Columbus (2-2 1/2 hours one way) Sam Ash Music is my only choice of a place that has ANY mandolins, and they are not mid to higher end. So I have to buy long-distance. Thus my recommendation for Café supporters........

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LadysSolo For This Useful Post:

you live in CT? Shop local. AcousticMusic.org in Guilford, right on Boston Post Road (Route 1). There is a luthier at the shop, and while he is not taking new clients, if you buy from them, he will set the instrument up the way you want. Great place, honest folks, and one of the best luthiers on the planet.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    allenhopkins, I envy you. There are NO stores around here that carry mandolins, even if I drive to Cleveland or Columbus (2-2 1/2 hours one way) Sam Ash Music is my only choice of a place that has ANY mandolins, and they are not mid to higher end. So I have to buy long-distance. Thus my recommendation for Café supporters........
    Next time you want to drive to Rochester, I'll take you around to our dealers. Buy you lunch, too -- maybe even dinner...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

LadySolo,Will Kimble in Cincinnati has mandolins and he does a great set-up too. Drive the 2 hours or whatever
    to his shop and I
    feel reasonably certain he will have one you like. May be good to call first so he can get them all out and ready to play.

Tell him Cameron sent you.

You can thank me later.