Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In Praise of the F5

Default Re: In Praise of the F5

The first time I saw an F model,,I said to myself,,,that's the coolest instrument I've ever seen...and I still think that..

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think the scroll was lifted from a cinnamon bun and Allen, you forgot U for Harp guitar...Allen, there were others that thought Gibson had used the Florentine thing in some catalogs but nobody has found it yet. I just don't buy it that Orville had that in mind. I think the missing letters were probably designs that didn't make the cut. What letter designation was the Lyre mandolin? If there was an A and an F what the heck was that one?
    Yeah, and I also left out "K" = "Kolossal big mandolin, better known as mandocello."

Mandolin Archive lists the Gibson lyre mandolin as "no model," and I gather these were close to "one-ofs" and not cataloged or marketed (other than on those early "Orville" labels."

I'd love to know what Orville G's B, C, D, and E models were -- all the ones between A and F.

By the way, I share Bill K's love for the F-model silhouette, and do understand why it's become so ubiquitous, when there's almost certainly no acoustic reason for that popularity. Orville G sure hit upon an attractive body style, not "Florentine" but certainly ornate and nearly rococo, that has seized the imagination of mandolinists ever since. The more utilitarian A-model profile represents "more bang for the buck," but there's still something about the scroll-and-points body shape that appeals broadly.

Interesting, though, that Gibson's attempts to do similar ornamentation on guitar bodies never really caught on, and that while "acoustical engineer" Lloyd Loar kept the F-model profile for his mandolin innovations, he utilized simpler silhouettes for mandola, mandocello, and guitar. And, finally, Gibson's failure to trademark the F-model silhouette has to be one of their worst decisions, when you consider the thousands of F-model mandolins made by other makers. What if each of them had to pay Gibson to license the design? What if Gibson collected $50 for every F-model anyone else made? Gibson pursues other makers for "poaching" bell-shaped truss rod covers and "open book" headstocks, but you can build a mandolin that looks just like a Gibson F-5 with impunity.

Or, if you prefer, with spruce, maple, and mahogany...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Cinnamon bun, or escargot? I've heard both stories.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Interesting, though, that Gibson's attempts to do similar ornamentation on guitar bodies never really caught on, and that while "acoustical engineer" Lloyd Loar kept the F-model profile for his mandolin innovations, he utilized simpler silhouettes for mandola, mandocello, and guitar.
    Actually, he utilized the F5 shape for mandolas. There are Loar-signed H5 mandolas out there.
    Keep that skillet good and greasy all the time!

5. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

beautiful mando, op!

7. The following members say thank you to TheGrayFox for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Well, at least they didn't call it a little guitar.
    Because of the tuning.

THe F hole "set" of instruments sounds like a family in to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    Thanks. "Calace," RW92 - Medium mandolin strings by Dogal - Carbon steel, Round wound, Hand made. Don't know if they're available in the US but they're the absolute best - long lasting, subtle and punchy at the same time.
    Bernunzio carries them even the Dolce (for vintage bowlbacks - RW92b) Dogal Strings @ Bernunzio
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

I was finally able to locate these among my catalog archives.

Maybe these would be of interest in this discussion...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23F5-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	421.8 KB 
ID:	155275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23F5-2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	155276

Name:	23F5-3.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	155277 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23F5-4.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	155278
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

12. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Yeah, and I also left out "K" = "Kolossal big mandolin, better known as mandocello."

Mandolin Archive lists the Gibson lyre mandolin as "no model," and I gather these were close to "one-ofs" and not cataloged or marketed (other than on those early "Orville" labels."

I'd love to know what Orville G's B, C, D, and E models were -- all the ones between A and F.

B
    Orville never used the A or F (or H or K or any other letter) to describe his instruments. They were an invention of the Gibson Mandolin Guitar Manufacturing Co around 1903-4. Let us not try to perpetuate too many myths

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Going back to the 1960's,when i first saw a photo. of a Gibson F5 mandolin ( i had a Gibson catalogue of that period), i thought that it was simply the most beautiful instrument i'd ever seen, I still think that of the 'F' style,& i find the 'A' style also has it's own beauty. It wasn't too long after that, i first saw the name 'Florentine' attached to the 'F' style design & i thought that was 'fact',now we've all come to realise that the A's / F's etc. were nothing more that a numbering (lettering ?) system used in the Gibson catalogues.

IMHO - the design of the "F" style mandolin has to be one of the all time 'classic' designs in any genre - stunning !!
    Ivan

Name:	Weins F5 2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	155319
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sienese, actually ... (you heard it here first.)

... And, finally, Gibson's failure to trademark the F-model silhouette has to be one of their worst decisions, when you consider the thousands of F-model mandolins made by other makers. What if each of them had to pay Gibson to license the design? What if Gibson collected $50 for every F-model anyone else made? Gibson pursues other makers for "poaching" bell-shaped truss rod covers and "open book" headstocks, but you can build a mandolin that looks just like a Gibson F-5 with impunity.

Or, if you prefer, with spruce, maple, and mahogany...
    Here, Allen H poses an intriguing hypothetical. If Gibson had originally made the business decision -- which surely never occurred to them! -- to trademark its ornate 'F' design, with the famous scroll and points, and to charge others for the use of it, it might have gone one of two ways. Yes, it might have raised a fortune in royalties for Gibson, as Allen's post suggests. But it also might have discouraged others from copying the design, and thereby stifled the competition. This might have led to a flourishing of different carved body designs, including two points and other shapes. Of course, which way it might have gone would have depended on how much Gibson actually decided to charge, and how hard they might have made it for others to make similar instruments. Instead, with the F5 design essentially available in the public domain, we've enjoyed well over a half century of Gibson F5 Loar copies, and a great deal of further development of the F5 sound/design by such great luthiers as Gilchrist, Monteleone, Nugget, Dudenbostel, Ellis, McRostie, and others. These incredibly talented people have done as much or more to promote and advance the sound of the F5 than Gibson, I would argue!

In truth, the legal protections bestowed by copyright, patent, and trademark do not always lead to the best types of innovation and improvement. Who knows what might have happened if Gibson had decided to trademark the F5? We lovers of the F5 might have been the poorer for it! Or, we might have learned to embrace other, perhaps even better-sounding, mandolin body shapes. Hypothetical history is hard to reconstruct...

18. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    Orville never used the A or F (or H or K or any other letter) to describe his instruments. They were an invention of the Gibson Mandolin Guitar Manufacturing Co around 1903-4. Let us not try to perpetuate too many myths.
    Sorry to be somewhat unspecific in my language.

According to the Mandolin Archive, the term "Style F" with no number suffix, appeared in the earliest Gibson catalogs -- which came out when Orville was still employed by Gibson. At that point, as you correctly state, he was not the sole designer, nor the builder, of Gibson mandolins, so the decision to designate certain models as "A," "F" etc. was not his, or at least not his alone.

I'd still like to know what the B, C, D and E models were, whether designated by Orville Gibson, the company management, or whomever.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I wonder about the popularity of the "F" style without Bill Monroe's input ?. Judging by what i've read regarding the popularity of any make of mandolin at one point in time,it wasn't a popular instrument. It had it's day like the Tenor banjo & it passed.
    Other musicians did play an "F" style,but it wasn't until BM came along & folk began to hear 'his' brand of music,that the mandolin came to a revived prominence,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.