Thread: Mic suggestions for recording Octave Mandolin.

Default Mic suggestions for recording Octave Mandolin.

I just received this Scarlett interface;
    https://uk.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...ett-2i2-studio

I figured the Mic it comes with will be ok for vocals, but I am also looking to get a mic for recording my OM.

I would like a clip on mic, as so far I have not had good experience getting a mic on a stand to stay in the right place.

If possible I would like something that will work well for recording and live playing, but it doesn't have to be perfect at everything.

This is something I am just getting in to and I don't have a huge amount to spend (I would say £200 max).

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jen.

Default Re: Mic suggestions for recording Octave Mandolin.

That mic should work OK for a start. A small diaphragm condenser is often recommended for acoustic guitars and I suspect would work well for an octave mandolin. The one you have is a large diaphragm. I would suggest that a boom style mic stand would help in placing the mic for recording. While clip on mics have definite advantages for live work I don't see them working as well for recording. There are issues with instrument noise from holding and playing the instrument. You also have a much smaller selection and prices tend to be higher.

I am sure others with more experience will have more to say.

Blog Entries

The CM25 will be fine for your octave. It really is a "small-medium" condenser in a larger case (20mm capsule) than a 'true' large diaphragm mic anyway.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Nevin 

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I have that mic - it came with my FR iTrack dock thingy. It's fine for what you need
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

The only thing I would add is that while your existing mic will be fine, you may want to consider adding a stereo pair at some point (or now if you want to spend your budget). As you are in the UK I can recommend these as very good value in that price range. They're excellent microphones.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Before you spend too much more money, I would spend some time trying out different mic positions with your existing condenser: which is actually quite a good mic, and reasonably forgiving in that it's not super-sensitive. You will get better clarity with a more expensive mic, but you'll also pick up more extraneous noise. I record using the mic you have, plus an Octava MK519 as an AB-stereo pair.

With regard to placing, assuming it's an oval hole OM, try pointing at the soundhole from about 18-24" away, but well off axis so you're not getting the full bark straight at the mic. Or else the "over the shoulder" location can work well - maybe somewhere near your left shoulder, just in front of you, and pointing towards the end of the fretboard.