Thread: Chris Thile Workshop in Dublin

Default Chris Thile Workshop in Dublin

Is anyone else going to the Chris Thile workshop at the Dublin National Concert Hall tomorrow?

https://www.nch.ie/Online/Chris-Thil...rkshop-21Mar17

Website says it is sold out. I am coming across from Manchester for the workshop and concert. I will keep an eye out for mandolin cases at the airport.

Duncan

Default Re: Chris Thile Workshop in Dublin

Well done for being in the know! I have 'followed' & linked to heads up on tickets to see Chris in the Uk on numerous Sites etc, but I don't do 'social media', per se, so had no idea he was coming this way. On the back of your post I checked and found his date at the Wigmore Hall, needless to stay, long since ( and instantly, by the looks of it) sold out. Spoke to the venue this a/m without much encouragement beyond 'keep checking on the Internet'. We could risk a 300 mile round journey by car and train to see if there are tickets on the door......hmmm.......
    Mind you.....knowing I'm not going is not as bad I suppose as 'not' seeing him at Edinburgh due to the weather on the continent.

Pass a message on please, Duncan.....MORE UK DATES PLEASE!?, Chris, you'd fill Hall's across the country.

And by the way -

EVERYBODY checks "social media" faithfully these days
    NOBODY checks web pages for tour dates these days.

I read that on the internet, so it must be true.

Except, not.

I hope we get video of the workshop posted online at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I hope we get video of the workshop posted online at some point.
    That would be very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by NEH57 View Post
    We could risk a 300 mile round journey by car and train to see if there are tickets on the door......hmmm.......
    Mind you.....knowing I'm not going is not as bad I suppose as 'not' seeing him at Edinburgh due to the weather on the continent.
    Well, I flew from Amsterdam to Edinburgh for a nice weekend with my wife and his concert on Sunday, but he got stuck in Amsterdam (where he played on Saturday at walking distance of my house) due to the weather, so no concert for me this time... So enjoy tonight!
    Last edited by FPhil; Mar-21-2017 at 1:34pm.

....I have just managed to get '2' tickets for London on Friday night via their on-line ticket sales page - returns seem to get put on at around 5pm.
    I managed to get 'one' last night, which I have released back and is currently for sale on their ticket site....
    https://wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/event-listing

The workshop was recorded. I would check the Irish National Concert Hall website in a week or so to see if it has been uploaded. Event was a very interesting Q&A with Chris

Off to London for the 'Do' tonight in a bit. Very much looking forwards to it and mostly thanks to you, Duncan for posting up the Dublin 'outing' here, so much obliged.
    Nigel

Off to London for the 'Do' tonight in a bit.
    Did you enjoy the Wigmore gig Nigel? I was there too, I thought him fantastic. And unamplified, I wasn't expecting that.

It was, quite literally 'something else' in terms of my enjoyment of the instrument as it should / could be played. I have seen plenty of the on-line offerings, but to see / hear him play was exactly as I'd (sort of) expected and hoped.
    We go to London quite a bit for Gigs...usually Folk Do's in and around Camden, nothing like the Wigmore Hall, with it's acoustic 'perfection'.......what a venue. We had managed to get two seats together in Row I which was fairly close. Surprised to see seats in the middle of the forward section empty ( and a few others ) but for £10k pr annum you can be a 'member' so they may have been 'owned'.
    I actually like his singing voice, which some find a bit 'unusual', but, being a fan of Rufous Wainwright's voice and 'as was' Anthony, if it goes with the music and it's what his voice is, it doesn't bother me....better his voice than mine !

I did wonder about the amplification.....I know there was nothing obvious.....and I am no expert, but there was some sort of 'something' on the back of the instrument ? like a 'spider' of some sort ....tape/wire ? which I thought might have been an 'invisible' pick up, but there was nothing obvious for it to be coming out of in the Hall. Perhaps it was just to stop wear on the back or support the strap.

All in all, as a late in the day venture, and a moderately long haul it was more than worth the effort. Almost caught out by the 'timely' start, but a nigh on 2 hour solo Gig is good value by any standards and we were home an hour earlier than planned.
    Did you get heads up of him being in London for one night later in the year ?

Off to see Kat Gilmore (with Jamie) in a week or so locally, so that is another good Mandolin 'content' night out.....

I did wonder about the amplification.....I know there was nothing obvious.....and I am no expert, but there was some sort of 'something' on the back of the instrument ? like a 'spider' of some sort ....tape/wire ? which I thought might have been an 'invisible' pick up, but there was nothing obvious for it to be coming out of in the Hall. Perhaps it was just to stop wear on the back or support the strap.
    That would be his Tonegard, which I've seen him use at another solo small venue concert.

He also played un-amplified then as well. That Loar is plenty loud, especially when you don't have to compete with another instrument.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

....yes.....that's it.....

It's a 500 seat venue, so not 'that' small.......but some of the best acoustics ( supposedly ) of any Hall in the world. It certainly carried to us and beyond.

I completely missed this

As it was a ''Workshop'' what did you actually learn from your experience ?. I only ask, because having attended many 'workshops' in the past,i gained a lot of information,but learned nothing regarding being able to 'play better' - but maybe that's just me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.