Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Broken Gibson headstock

Default Re: Broken Gibson headstock

Seems a bit dear to me!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

It is now relisted again .....with another listing of the case......this has become a "goat rodeo"......an exercise in silliness

How about another relisting....take off the tuners....one plate at a time....the headstock separate....and put a price of $1000 on each....

Really???

Probably a situation where the seller was surprised and shocked at how much initial bidding occurred and realizing the stuff had more value than he thought. Then panicked, not wanting to sell the stuff too cheap, and relisted. A fairly common overreaction with general "flea market" type sellers on eBay. Or he was using his first ad to test the waters, so to speak. Sounds like he got 'educated" in a hurry. He now uses 1922 Gibson F-4 in his description, where earlier he just described as a broken Gibson mandolin peghead and guessed it was over 100 years old, which was pretty close. He may be reading this forum, I'm guessing.

The stuff does have value -- much more than I would have guessed. Questions: What does a really sharp vintage Gibson F-4 case bring? What percentage of that should a beat-up case bring? In my mind, you lose a lot of bidders, due to the condition, but apparently not.

The peghead -- what percentage of a mandolin does the peghead and tuners represent? 8 percent? 10 percent? 20 percent? I don't know, but it is a very import part of the whole package, BUT it's not like it is a bolt-on part. The only people who can possibly use this are builders, luthiers, repairman, etc........and for what purpose? And again, at what price? I think a lot of people would like to own a nice clean F-4, but this is just the peghead. Like I said in an earlier post, to me it is a paperweight, a very cool paperweight!
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Mar-26-2017 at 12:45pm.

The latest links!

1920'S Gibson F-4 Mandolin headstock + Tuners / Offer

1922 Era Gibson F-4 Mandolin CASE / OFFER

The headstock by itself IMHO is a souvenir of a long lost era and would look lovely framed on a workshop wall. The most valuable part of it would be the tuners, of course. He is taking offers so you never know. He does mention the tuners so he must know what they are worth or at least guesses. It looks like the screws might be rusted but I assume that that can be dealt with. I doubt he will get $599 for that but you never know.

The case is pretty beat and IMHO is not worth $599 tho once again he might get an offer. I would think that for someone desperate for an original case maybe $150-200 would be more than reasonable.

I would guess tho that he paid near to nothing for these two items—no other parts from this mandolin have appeared — I wonder where they went?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Pretty lame that I and a number of other folks made honest bids on these items the first time around. If he cancelled the auction because someone else made a nice offer, fine, but to do it just to relist and try for more money just lost any credibility. No more bids from me just on principle alone.

* As a follow up,when I contacted the seller about this, he gave an aggressive reply and told me to take my business elsewhere! Good luck with that sales approach.....
    Last edited by j. condino; Mar-26-2017 at 9:24pm.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Next: actual dust balls from inside the 1920's case -- vintage lint...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Pretty lame that I and a number of other folks made honest bids on these items the first time around. If he cancelled the auction because someone else made a nice offer, fine, but to do it just to relist and try for more money just lost any credibility. No more bids from me just on principle alone.

* As a follow up,when I contacted the seller about this, he gave an aggressive reply and told me to take my business elsewhere! Good luck with that sales approach.....
    I too made honest bids on the peghead but with all of this nonsense ......."Eh go (*&%^(*&^ and I will spend my money elsewhere"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary Hedrick For This Useful Post:

As we know, most of eBay bidding occurs in the last few minutes -- at least the bids that matter -- he might have been better off to just let the auctions play out, he might have gotten close to what he "thinks" they are worth!

I, too, dislike a "squirrel-ly" seller because anything can happen. A lot of these sellers will not award a winning bid, if they think they can do better elsewhere, even after an auction closes. Not trustworthy.

The seller obviously has some strange concept of fair play as well as, from what I see here, common courtesy. I hope he sells them and a dog leaves and "offer" on his front porch. Jerk sellers are everywhere, jerk buyers are too, to be honest.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

13. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Next: actual dust balls from inside the 1920's case -- vintage lint...
    Ace.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

15. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

It appears the headstock has sold for Best Offer on eBay. No way to know the actual selling price, in this case. (unless someone here would like to speak up! ) I would doubt the "extra profit" made would offset the public ridicule, but...........

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post: