Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J. Bovier F5 or Loar 600/700 with CA bridge

Default J. Bovier F5 or Loar 600/700 with CA bridge

So, I've been looking to upgrade my mandolin game for quite some time. I've had a Hondo for years and have finally been able to save enough money to buy something nice. I have always been more of a guitar player but my tastes seem to be swaying more towards mandolin these days and I would like to get myself a nice instrument.
    I haven't seen too many in brick and mortars but through internet research and all of the advice given on here I have pretty much narrowed it down.
    I'm looking at either the J.Bovier 2017 F5 which is at the very top of my price range for $1600, or the Loar 600 or 700 with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge from CA direct.
    I've read everything I could find comparing the two but some of it seemed a bit dated.
    I'm also not totally opposed to an A type, as from what I have read they seem to be the better bargain. Are there any A type's in that price range $800-$1600 that would be much better than the models I mentioned above ?
    I am pretty much set on a new instrument, but I welcome any advice I can get and I apologize if this comparison has been killed in the forums. Thanks!!

Default Re: J. Bovier F5 or Loar 600/700 with CA bridge

If it were me, I'd get the Weber Bitterroot A that's listed in the classifieds for $1,350.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you want something new. Your price range could probably get you a killer used A, but I don't know what's available new in that range. Maybe a Ratliff "Country Boy."

Blog Entries

Of the two you specifically name, I'd go for the J. Bovier.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Of those specific models, I'd go for the Bovier. And I have a The Loar LM-220. It's a good mandolin, but the bass is on the weak side.

Would also suggest looking at the Eastman and maybe the higher level Kentucky mandolins. The Mandolin Store has the new Kentucky KM850 in your range. I personally like how the Eastman models play and sound. But that's just my one opinion. Plus, Eastman makes round hole mandolins which I prefer. Both in A and F style. Again, though, that's just my opinion.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I'd go for the Bovier, if you are getting it directly through Jeff Cowherd, the owner of JBovier. Jeff will give you a personalized set up. Make sure you communicate with him about what you are looking for. Mine was just about the best set up of any mandolin I ever purchased outside of my Weber River F-14. Jeff does a fantastic job. The best.
    The sound, tone and playability of the mandolin I got from him was about as good as it gets. Finish work was excellent.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I have a J Bovier F5 Special, and it rocks.
    It is really easy to play and sounds great.
    I haven't played a The Loar that can touch it for sound.
    Go for the Bovier.

I would however consider upping your price a bit to get a used Northfield NF5s.
    You can get a used one for a very reasonable price.
    Those are awesome mandolins.
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

Out of the two I would go for the Bovier. I've heard several The Loars and while they were all ok none of them stood out from the pack of decent beginner instruments.

I would strongly suggest you look at some used A styles. When it comes to used instruments, I've seen Webers, Girouards, Flatirons, Red Lines and other very nice mandos in that range. I would rate all of those brands as a pretty big upgrade.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

I have had 2 J Bovier mandolins, one A model X braced very nice and al custom J Bovier special that I bought directly from Jeff and it is a fine mandolin. I have played a The Loar LM-700. A good mandolin and I love a the fern inlay headstock, but not as good sounding as my J Bovier F5S,

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by availnyc View Post
    Are there any A type's in that price range $800-$1600 that would be much better than the models I mentioned above ? I am pretty much set on a new instrument, but I welcome any advice I can get
    In that price range, I would be trying to get out of a factory produced instrument and into something made by a small shop or an independent builder. I would probably contact Ken Ratcliff and see if he'd be willing to build an Econo version of one of his A-styles that would keep within budget.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by availnyc View Post
    So, I've been looking to upgrade my mandolin game for quite some time. I've had a Hondo for years and have finally been able to save enough money to buy something nice. I have always been more of a guitar player but my tastes seem to be swaying more towards mandolin these days and I would like to get myself a nice instrument.
    I haven't seen too many in brick and mortars but through internet research and all of the advice given on here I have pretty much narrowed it down.
    I'm looking at either the J.Bovier 2017 F5 which is at the very top of my price range for $1600, or the Loar 600 or 700 with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge from CA direct.
    I've read everything I could find comparing the two but some of it seemed a bit dated.
    I'm also not totally opposed to an A type, as from what I have read they seem to be the better bargain. Are there any A type's in that price range $800-$1600 that would be much better than the models I mentioned above ?
    I am pretty much set on a new instrument, but I welcome any advice I can get and I apologize if this comparison has been killed in the forums. Thanks!!
    Sounded like you were dealing with Steve Smith at Cumberland Acoustic for that Loar? He has Redline Acoustics as well and Makes a Redline A5. Not sure what they are running right now, but you might get one of those for the high end of $1600.00?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I believe you can find a superb used A in your price range. I've seen Collings MTs in the Classifieds for that. LIsten to pheffernan. From my own experience, it's good advice.

12. The following members say thank you to Jim Parriott for this post:

I recently purchased both an LM-400 and a LM-700 by "The Loar". I'm a long time mandolin player and was interested in these because I play their LH-600 guitar (that I love). I bought the 400 as a blem for a very good price. it had no setup at all, and I was very disappointed in the sound - after working the bridge to top - it has excellent sound now. It could use a few tweaks I suppose but the action is low - no buzz - plays both loud and sweet. I have been playing an Eastman 504 (round sound hole - A type) for the past few years and didn't want to lose the low end warmth of the A4 type but wanted more volume and... well funk when I wanted it. I in fact liked it so much I found a 5 year old LM700 with the CA bridge for a great price. I don't think CA did the bridge install on this, and after looking at the bridge without tension I removed it and properly fir the original bridge. While I was at it, after adjusting the truss rod, I scooped the neck end, and leveled the frets. It sounds a bit better than the LM-400 but most likely it is because it is cuter and cost me considerably more. My feelings about the CA bridge are this - I removed it because the fit didn't look right and it is a tiny bridge and removal of any more material would have to be done carefully. An instrument is made to be fitted with a certain bridge, and there is certainly a lot of experimenting to be done with the bridge. That LH-400 went from being a terrible sounding instrument to a professional sound by setting up the bridge properly, and it make sense that some instruments would improve with a lighter bridge, and others with a heavier. These Loar mandolins (400&700) are built without tone bars so maybe the fatter bridge is integral to that design.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I would suggest a Bovier , and get it from Jeff he asked many questions about what I liked and wanted. When it arrived it was setup great just what I wanted, the sound was great. I happen to get a great deal on a loar 600 around the same time it came with a Cumberland bridge, it sounds good but not as good as my Bovier. I have taken my Bovier to many stores to compare and sofar it has won in comparison to all the others , I haven't compared it to any high dollar mandolin , there aren't many around me but I have to Eastman's , Kentucky and others of that level. I think both your choice's would be great, I have never played a 700 , they aren't any near me , I do want to,
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I would also suggest the Bovier. Mine is excellent and I have played 3 others that were as good or better. The newer Bovier's seem to be very consistent. I have never played The Loar, but from what I have read about them, some are very good and some are not so good.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Dave Sheets

Think seriously about used- with a bit of luck there are a lot of really nice sounding mandos out there for $1600 or less, Webers, Flatirons and Collings MTs, plus smaller makers. Let somebody else absorb the depreciation on a new instrument.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

My problem with getting a used instrument is that I kind of want something that will be ready to go upon receiving it, as much as that is possible. I don't want to receive something in the mail and then have to send it out again for a setup etc... I'm no professional at this stage in the game and I think I'd like any cuts or bruises my mandolin receives to be from me. That being said, if an exceptional deal were to come my way for a used and in good shape mando I would probably jump at it. I've had some bad experiences (and also good) with used guitars so I can't help being a bit leary.
    I totally appreciate all of the comments and insight though so thanks to everyone for taking the time to steer me in the right direction.

If you buy new, unless you pay a lot it will not necessarily be set up correctly. If you buy one used if the seller is a player, it will be set up right, if it is a "dealer" don't buy. Used instruments are easier to learn on as they have been broken in.

Used instruments are easier to learn on as they have been broken in.
    Is this something like shoes?
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

20. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Exactly

I recently bought a 2017 J. Boviers A5. It's hands down better than any The Loar I've ever played. For $900, I guarantee you won't find anything that sounds better (to me). Jeff is great to do business with too.

Blog Entries

I don't know much about J.Bovier mandolins, are they an import mandolin like The Loar? I've seen a few for sale and they look crafted rather well but so does the Loar mandolins, Someone on the forum posted something about a J.Bovier H-F Mandola and I was frothing at the mouth,ya know chomping at the bit so to speak, It looked killer, just wonder on the sound of em? Never played any of the 2 discussed? Looks like the above people like the J.Bovier goodies. I'd sure like to play the J.B.Mandola!

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasser78 View Post
    I don't know much about J.Bovier mandolins, are they an import mandolin like The Loar? I've seen a few for sale and they look crafted rather well but so does the Loar mandolins, Someone on the forum posted something about a J.Bovier H-F Mandola and I was frothing at the mouth,ya know chomping at the bit so to speak, It looked killer, just wonder on the sound of em? Never played any of the 2 discussed? Looks like the above people like the J.Bovier goodies. I'd sure like to play the J.B.Mandola!
    Don't know about the Mandola. I do know the A5 I got was one hell of a lot of mandolin for 900 dollars. Fit, finish, tone, sound, volume, balance and set up. It was all there. I had a Loar 600. Absolutely no comparison on the sound end. Fact is I had a Eastman MD 615 and still no comparison on the sound. There is no indication anywhere on the instrument that it is an import. If it is, I know when Jeff gets a hold of the product he takes care that its right before he puts his name inside and ships it to the buyer.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    Is this something like shoes?
    Used instruments already know a bunch of tunes.

26. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Used instruments already know a bunch of tunes.
    Good one! Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I say better to let the previous owner put the first dent in it. Then you won't feel so bad when you do it, because it will already be pre-dented. It's like a new car--the first dent hurts the most.
    Living’ in the Mitten