Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retirement

Default Re: Retirement

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    . . . Internet and cable can waste much of your time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    . . .
    As long as I have something to learn, either musically or otherwise, I won't be bored.
    I wanted to juxtapose these two quotes to make the point that the internet can be a great resource for learning. Just since yesterday I've fixed the gf's car and learned some bluegrass licks, courtesy of Youtube. And I have a backlog of videos that I'm trying to find time to watch.

Also, I don't know about other areas, but here in Mass. we have fantastic library resources. I can order any book, movie or CD from any library in the state and have it here in 3-4 days. Pretty cool when you're on a reduced income.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

2. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Funny, a lot of you I thought were young folks are as old or nearly as old as I am. Ha ha. That's kinda cool actually. I've been retired for 5 years. No $$$ problems. Until the rotator cuff gave out last summer I was golden. Pretty much over that hump and expect to be golden again. Just remember "getting old ain't for sissies", so I guess we're all studs eh?
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    I've been retired for 5 years. No $$$ problems.
    thats ok - I've had 'no money problem' all my life

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Been retired since 2009 and love it. My spouse also retired at the same time. Work was intense and glad it's behind us..

Realistically, it took almost a year to adapt to the change of pace. Have never been bored or regretful of the decision to retire. Every day has been an adventure of some sort - some more dramatic than others, but all a joy.

Today just got a new tenor guitar and it has added to the fun. Being part of the "intentionally unemployed" team is wonderful.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

7. The following members say thank you to Steve Zawacki for this post:

chuck3 

I retired in 2007 after 32 years as a cop. Ultimately, I bought a boat and a motorhome and both get used. I'm part of a small country band and we average about 10 or so gigs a month. I'm never without something to do. I'm in Georgia and my son and grandkids are in Michigan. You can bet I spend a lot of time on I-75.

I enjoyed working, for the most part. The last few years were spent on Homeland Security and the bomb squad so I stayed on call. That made it difficult to enjoy my off time, as sparse as it was. I miss the people but I don't miss the work. I spend a lot of time with a mandolin and I enjoy all of it (except for changing strings).

Tomorrow, we're playing at the Hollonville Opry. It's a non-paying gig but I can't wait to do it. Hollonville is a small community south of Atlanta. The Opry is held in an old converted seed barn. They have theater seating, an excellent sound system and everything is free. For 25 years, they've operated on donations only and that includes the food. Formal and informal groups line up to play there, not for any money but rather because all the country folks in the audience really, really enjoys the music.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DHopkins For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    I've got a lot of nice instruments, more than I need, and I know I can only play one at a time.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alrighty-then.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	154973
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

I plan to go part-time around 65 or 66 (4 to 5 years from now,) and then work till 70. I teach part-time already, and I may continue that 1 to 2 days/week after I retire. But between piano, guitar, mandolin, recorder, and trying to teach myself violin and oboe for the last few years, plus I recently bought a Puerto Rican cuatro to teach myself, then add gardening, bonsai, horses, quilting, crocheting, and tropical fish, and I don't think boredom is likely to be a problem. I just have to work till the house is paid off, and then it's optional. But I have known too many of my friend's husbands who retired and sat down to watch TV with their beers, and were dead in a few years. So I think "easing into" retirement may be the best way.

Retired 10 years ago, and haven't been bored yet -- thanks to music!!
    Too many instruments...too little time

After owning a small business for 38 years and working 51 weeks a year and 6 days a week, I finally sold my business and retired two years ago at age 68. My main goal after retiring was to get better at playing mandolin. Since then, it has become my new career. I spend am much as 6 hours a day practicing with additional time for arranging, pouring over new music, doing some restoration work on instruments, building cases. Basically all things music. I've never regretted retiring once. If I had it to do over, I would do the same thing, only 5 years earlier. I usually suceed at anything I set out to do, and my goal now is to be an entertainer.

15. The following members say thank you to Kenny A for this post:

Like it or not, I'll be working right up until calling hours.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny A View Post
    ... my goal now is to be an entertainer. ...
    Whether we want to or not, that's a goal we all will eventually achieve.

My personal goal is to be younger. I'm afraid that it isn't working out very well.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alrighty-then.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	137.9 KB 
ID:	154973
    Wow. I'm inspired.

Love that double-neck ukeybitar. Martin?
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

I was more or less forced to take early retirement 10 years ago due to chronic lower back pain. It was getting very hard to even move around at work. I've not had a single minute of boredom in that time. My banjo,guitar & mandolin playing, as well as reading,had kept me well occupied. It didn't really amuse me that i lost 3 years pay - £54,000 UK at that time - in my pocket !. But health comes first - always.
    As part of my retirement settlement,i was awarded an amount of cash,which i honestly hadn't expected, & that was when i bought my Weber "Fern",after spending a lot of it on my home.

Far too many folk don't have any hobbies during their working years. They're always ''going to'' take up golf / hiking /fishing etc. when they retire. When they get there,they don't bother,mainly because if they were really interested in doing any of those things,thay'd already have done them !.

I'm very fortunate to have the time to really get stuck into my mandolin playing. Unless there's something that needs doing around my home,i could play all day. As it is,i usually get 2 to 3 hours a day in - but it used to be much more than that when i first retired. I've made a huge amount of progress because of the time i've put in. At 72 years of age,i don't waste a single second. If there's something i want to do,i get it done (if possible) - as Bill Monroe sang - ''Don't put off 'til tomorrow what you can do today..". He got that right !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Too many of us put off today what we can do tomorrow, but tomorrow never seems to get here.....

I was talking to an older couple, in their 70s while I'm in my sixties, about my trip to Europe. They said they kept putting it off,but then had health issues and now can't. It was sad. So I've tried to temper spending to do something vs. not. I'll probably do a few things now rather than have regrets later....

Like visit The Mandolin Store when in Arizona this month. I can always sell my instruments when my hands give out.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I have a feeling I'll be one of those people who suck at retirement. I get antsy on long weekends, vibrating between mandolin, reading, the computer and cleaning house and walking around if the weather's nice. I've always liked working and like it still, for all I've been doing it for 41 years now. So I've no specific plans to retire at all unless the fates conspire.

On the other hand, my husband, who is about 7 months younger than me, just got his 40-year pin for his government service and is making retirement noises. He'll probably be a natural at retirement.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

The health issue is a good point. While we are both still working, my wife and I both have had some potentially life-changing health issues in the last decade. That is an argument for retiring soon, while we're both still healthy enough to do some of the things we want to do.

Yet, at the same time, we are able to do some fun things now because we have the extra income.

Personally, I think we've got the retirement idea backwards. Let the young couples retire during their family-rearing years. Time well spent with the kids, no regrets. Then, once the children are of college age or working age, it's time for these couples to go to work until they drop.

I dunno, maybe that wouldn't work.
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

I might add one other thing while on here, My wife retired about three years after I did and she had a brother in California that was going through treatments for Cancer and she suggested that we load up the van and drive out to see him so we took the northern route and made a stop at Mt. Rushmore and also saw the salt flats and after a week out there we headed home via the southern route and visited the Grand Canyon and even drove about 100 miles on the old historic Rte.66 through Needles and I will say it was the most enjoyable trip I have ever taken and seeing Mt. Rushmore was something I always wanted to do, even as a kid,and we saw the carving of Crazy Horse Monument at its beginning, there was a few other places that we wanted to see and since we weren`t in any kind of a hurry we did them....That's the one thing I enjoy about being retired is that if you don`t want to do something you don`t have to do it and if you do want to do it you can take your time doing it.....I also know a few people that spend a lot of money and time taking trips to foreign counties and have never thought about visiting the historic places that we have right here in the U.S. and there are plenty to see...I live not too far from Waashington D.C, so I have been to most every thing in that city, I worked in there for over 35 years for the Power Company, there is a lot to see and to do so if you have been putting off a visit to our Capital just do it, you will never regret it...You might even get to see Donald whats his name...

Willie

25. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Been meaning to take a trip out to Utah. 5 different National Parks in that state. All of them appear to be majestic.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Hi Willie - I really remember the visit to the Aerospace museum & the Natural History museum in Washington DC that me & my buddy,Andy,made one day back in 1992. We took the metro from Alexandria to DC centre & spent a half day in each of the museums.
    We'd tried to get into Washington the previous day (Thurs.) by car. We drove over one bridge & we could see where we wanted to park the car,but we couldn't find our way to it. We ended up driving about 3 miles outside of Washington & coming back over another bridge. We ended up spending the day at George Washington's Grist Mill feeding the fish on tater chips & Twinkies !.
    I can't remember if it was the Thurs. or Fri. night that we went to the Birchmere to see The Seldom Scene - Tony Rice guested that evening. I still have a Birchmere Menu in my PC drawer,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Spent 3 weeks last year touring National Parks in Arizona and Utah. ..... then there was the trip to New England, a couple of weeks in Scotland, another in Northumberland and several other long weekends away. That's the advantage of being retired!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well ..... I've screwed up a lot over six and a half decades ... without a doubt. However, I played the retirement cards well. I worked for a paycheck and benefits for 26 1/2 years and escaped with a living stipend and health insurance at age fifty-five. Since then , I've spent time with family, learned how to fiddle, traveled some , met new folks and attended several music camps. Bored ....... I can't imagine. There's just too much fun to have, to be bored. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

I am old enough and perhaps have enough money to retire. But i continue to work. I have something challenging and interesting to do everyday, and it is always new and unpredictable. Also, I can't put it off: Last week I had to be in Houston all week. Saturday I had a job at the Sheriff's department in the next county over that started at 5:30 a.m. and it had to be done: they had nobody else to do the job. No mandolin playing last week...

Because music time is so valuable (I have so little of it) I appreciate it more. I originally started playing mandolin as an means of relieving work related stress. That worked and I enjoy both work and music fully now.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

31. The following members say thank you to Jack Roberts for this post:

I know people who have been to India, Bali, and Kenya who have never bothered to drive three hours to see Yosemite.

Plus one on Washington DC. Everything you want to see is free, and decent cafeterias in every building, plus a great Metro system.

Glacier Natl Park in June is top on my list for western destinations.

Mandolins are small enough to take along too. Road trip this spring to Az and Utah in mY minuscule travel trailer.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I retired last July and I'm busier now then I ever was working. A few years ago I started building guitars thinking I would have something to do when I retired. I bought a lot of wood working tools including a cnc router. Now I've decided it's time to try and build a couple F5 mandolins. I'm not sure how they will turn out, but I really enjoying learning new things after working in the same industry after 40 years. I'm not sure how I ever found time to work!!