Thread: K&K Hot Spot installation tips

Default K&K Hot Spot installation tips

I recently purchased a K&K Hot Spot thanks to all the great advice on here. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on attaching the pickup or the input jack on my mandolin besides the standard instructions from inside the box? There is no carpenter jack so I'm looking to keeping it on all the time. Any tips or even suggestions or if you have a pic of yours mounted.

Default Re: K&K Hot Spot installation tips

Also can I use this pickup internal if I want?

You can use it internal, I don't think there is any difference in the pickups for internal or external use except the carpenter jack.You can use a Tapastring jack if you don't want to drill a hole in the end of your mandolin. When I drill them I use a hand drill, by that I mean without a motor, and turn it bit by hand. It takes a little longer but I feel it is safer.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

There actually are two versions of this pickup. One has an endpin jack, one has a molded jack.

Either way, I would go with an internal install. If you have the molded jack, you need to get an endpin jack and solder it on. While your at it, check cable length and adjust as needed.

Like Pops, you need to be real careful using a powered drill and normal bit. I use a cordless drill and a reamer. Reamers are safe, drill bits are not (though you can use one).

Endpin jack.... stick it in backwards and look inside to adjust the nut. I can usually nail this the first try. It can be a bit of a chore getting the jack in there..... Also make sure the jack fill fit through the F-hole before you start, if not abort and use a different jack (Tapastring)...

I sand the surface of the pickups to remove any oils and give the glue a good surface. I toss any double sided tape in the trash and superglue them in.

You will need to fashion a tool to reach the sweet spot which is generally behind the treble foot on the inside of the brace (no way to reach it by hand). You can test the pickup on the outside to find the sweet spot.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Quote Originally Posted by Folkmusician.com View Post
    There actually are two versions of this pickup. One has an endpin jack, one has a molded jack.

Either way, I would go with an internal install. If you have the molded jack, you need to get an endpin jack and solder it on. While your at it, check cable length and adjust as needed.

Like Pops, you need to be real careful using a powered drill and normal bit. I use a cordless drill and a reamer. Reamers are safe, drill bits are not (though you can use one).

Endpin jack.... stick it in backwards and look inside to adjust the nut. I can usually nail this the first try. It can be a bit of a chore getting the jack in there..... Also make sure the jack fill fit through the F-hole before you start, if not abort and use a different jack (Tapastring)...

I sand the surface of the pickups to remove any oils and give the glue a good surface. I toss any double sided tape in the trash and superglue them in.

You will need to fashion a tool to reach the sweet spot which is generally behind the treble foot on the inside of the brace (no way to reach it by hand). You can test the pickup on the outside to find the sweet spot.
    Totally agree with internal install. Start by protecting the f-hole edges with low tack painters tape. Also tape and mark where you're going to drill for the jack to prevent splintering. I use a stepless drill bit to ream out the hole for the jack. I size the depth of the jack by inserting an L-shaped bent paper clip to get the tailblock thickness and adjust jack accordingly. I have a 1/4" plug that I ground the outside diameter down to fit thru the jack hole. Some strong cord attached to it and thread in the jack hole and out an f-hole. Plug it into the jack then use the cord to pull the jack in the f-hole and out the jack hole. Position p'up with an S-shaped violin soundpost setting tool. I don't sand or glue the heads - just use blu-tak putty to hold them in place. I've done this on at least 15 instruments over the past 9 years.