Thread: Got my new fiberglass case and Tone-Gard from Elderly !

Default Got my new fiberglass case and Tone-Gard from Elderly !

This is the new Eastman fiberglass case and Tone-Gard I ordered from Elderly for my md-615. the tone-gard made an already great-sounding mandolin even better !
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	457.6 KB 
ID:	154864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	432.8 KB 
ID:	154863Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	491.4 KB 
ID:	154862Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	409.3 KB 
ID:	154865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	457.6 KB 
ID:	154864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	432.8 KB 
ID:	154863
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns
    pre-war German "Stradivarius" violin

Default Re: Got my new fiberglass case and Tone-Gard from Elderly !

Looks like a very nice case, love the backpack straps. Congratulations on the purchase!

Really nice back on that 615, one of the better ones I've seen.

Best,
    David

I'm a Tone-gard believer. Good choices.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Fiddler,

Mando cases with a generic fit have foam in the case-body designed to fit a range of instruments, and the neck support doesn't go all the way to the nut (same reason). I've had mandolins arrive to me shipped in generic hard cases, and due to an impact, suffered a breakage of the headstock off the neck at the nut. This is extreme, and unusual, but it illustrates a design challenge you may want to address.

Friends with this type of case have added a removable wedge of medium foam covered in velour or flannel under the headstock. They adhere it with two sided tape, or even velcro. A small wedge cushion attached to the roof gently compresses the headstock to keep it in place when the lid is closed. This will minimize the lateral movement of the headstock, and any shock to the wood at the headstock-neck juncture, if the case ever receives a sharp impact.

It's not a major issue if you're simply traveling round in a car. But, in the event you do drop it by accident, or it's in an overhead bin on a flight and you have turbulence or a rough landing... it might be worth your time to customize the case from the start. I just had a really rough plane trip, and was thankful for a case with support at all points from the heel to the top of the headstock.

Take a look at Hiscox cases, Pegasus, Price, Calton and Northfield's Airloom for inspiration.

Best of luck and happy picking!

D

Thanks dschonbrun for the tip, I think Ive got just the piece of foam in my collection to rest under the headstock. Two-sided velcro tape should suffice to hold it in place, yeah ?
    Not that this mandolin is a priceless Gibson or custom-made instrument but IMHO it can hold it's own when playing with the "big-boys" and I've been nothing but pleased with it after I got it back from a top-notch luthier friend who did a proper setup. That being said, I'd be heartbroken if something happened to it so I'll take your advice and take some precautions.
    "All music is folk music, i ain't never heard no horse sing a song"- Louie Armstrong

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Blog Entries

Cool looking case!
    I like the clear tubing Tony puts on gards now. Softer and more grippy. He sent me pads/tubing kit and I stripped and refurbished an older one that I got thru the classifieds. Cool piece of jam gear!

so.. another case that fits Mandolins with a tone Gard.. on the back
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My main complaint about that case is the complete LACK OF ANY STORAGE COMPARTMENT! Whatever were they thinking when they designed this thing?! You need to use a case cover with a compartment, or schlepp along another bag, just to carry your tuner, strings, and picks.

I have an even smaller FG A5 case, I have a Set of strings in a Crown Royal bag
    And all that, stuffed in the lid over the head stock

and there is room Under and around The headstock. For your little Tuner.

so there is storage , its just not a tailor made compartment..

so you have to become flexible and creative, on your own..

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

[QUOTE=mandroid;1560906]I have an even smaller FG A5 case, I have a Set of strings in a Crown Royal bag
    And all that, stuffed in the lid over the head stock

and there is room Under and around The headstock. For your little Tuner.

so there is storage , its just not a tailor made compartment..

so you have to become flexible and creative, on your own..

Yeah I do the same with a small bag and unless you're trying to carry sheet music there is enough room to get the essentials in there. i thought I'd miss the room I had in my old one for Fast-Fret and cleaning cloths and packs of old strings etc. but I really didn't need alot that stuff anyway. Plus I play fiddle half the time so Ive got that case which is more than enough for my needs.

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns

Thanks dschonbrun, this 615 is amazing all the way around. I would put it up against any 815 or even 915. This was cherry picked from a large lot of early-model 615's several years ago. I am the second owner but the first guy kept it in immaculate shape and still managed to play it quite a bit so its plenty opened-up and played in. I record with it all the time and if you didn't know it was an Eastman, you'd hear it and think it was a much more expensive instrument. Just got it a month ago on ebay for 610$, I am very pleased. It's because of this mandolin that I've taken a whole new look at playing. I was always the guy who "could play" the mandolin but wasn't a "mandolin player" per se, but not any more I love the mandolin ! (my fiddle has been lonely these past few weeks, lol)

Eastman md-314
    Eastman md-615
    Martin D-35
    Takamine gd-20ns