Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monroe Style

Default Monroe Style

I'm thinking about enrolling in the Monroe class over at peg head nation. How are they?

Default Re: Monroe Style

If it's the actual ''playing style'' of Bill Monroe you're interested in,look here :- http://christopherhenry.net/lessons/
    Chris Henry's one of the best Monroe 'stylists' out there (IMHO). Here's CH explaining how BM got part of his 'sound',
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

This video is a secret gold mine,,once you figure it out, it will add one of coolest techniques to your playing...

5. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

Think I'll check him out. I know the Murphy Method helped me a lot on banjo.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesHall77 View Post
    Think I'll check him out. I know the Murphy Method helped me a lot on banjo.
    The Monroe style program at Peghead is run by Mike Compton..

Both of these are great options for learning Monroe. There are also many offers for first month free with Compton on Peghead Nation, so you could try that out. The videos are great and there are also transcriptions and MP3 play along tracks. His approach is to teach you songs and in doing so you learn Monroe stylings/technique. Chris Henry is also an expert. He has some videos that you can buy and the dvds that are available. I haven't watched his dvds yet. I have had some skype lessons with him and he is a great teacher.

I think Mike Compton knows more about Monroe style than anyone.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

There's also a DVD of David McLaughlin from Murphy Henry as well. Everybody has their favorite, depends on what kind of learning mode you respond to best.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

12. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I think that you can't go wrong with either guy. I would encourage you to go to Mike's camp, which is probably the best for all things Monroe, and you will get tremendous resources and instruction to get you on or progress along the Monroe path.

There are basically two camps of Monroe instruction, each with their own merits: the Compton camp and the Henry/McLaughlin camp.

We all have different tastes and if I personally were looking to sound exactly just like Monroe (which isn't everyone's goal), then with all due respect, I'd look into lessons with either Chris or Richard Brown.

Close your eyes, open your ears, and tell me if this guys isn't channeling Monroe!

1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Master class..

I'd agree with Nick - attend the camp regardless of whether you use Chris Henry's tuition or not. There is absolutely nothing like watching & listening to a good musician - LIVE !.
    I agree with Nick once more in that CH can get 'that' sound,& i'd venture to say,that like Bill Monroe,he could 'sound like that' on almost any mandolin !. For me - it's not the sound of Bill Monroe's Loar mandolin that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand to attention,it's the 'sound' of Bill Monroe himself using the technique that Chris Henry so expertly demos. - stunningly good - & T.D.Nydn nailed it with his comment,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    ...I agree with Nick once more in that CH can get 'that' sound,& i'd venture to say,that like Bill Monroe,he could 'sound like that' on almost any mandolin !...
    Last August at Summergrass Chris was playing an Old Wave A model as his Randy Wood was in for repairs. It was astounding how "Monroe" that Old Wave sounded in his hands, like a canon or beast!

Chris sounded the same on my 94' F5L when he picked on it as well...btw: this is the second time that a really excellent player wailed away on my F5L. A bunch of top pros have played it but Chris and Scott Gates really went to town on it. It was these 2 experiences that convinced me that what I've got is really special.
    Last edited by DataNick; Mar-16-2017 at 12:47pm. Reason: Additional perspective

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

18. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Does Chris Henry use a non-traditional bridge? On the Murphy Method DVD it doesn't look like a standard wood bridge. Is it aluminum or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Does Chris Henry use a non-traditional bridge? On the Murphy Method DVD it doesn't look like a standard wood bridge. Is it aluminum or something?
    I think it's one of his dad's (Red Henry) specially configured maple bridges, IIRC

21. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I really like, what peghead nation offers! I am a happy customer.

23. The following members say thank you to Hubs for this post:

Once you start playing in the " staggered 16th " style,,it becomes totally addicting and very hard to stop,,one amazing thing about it,is that when your doubling notes,Noone else can tell,it sounds like your flat picking your brains out,but instead of single note soloing,,that extra nano second or whatever you get from the staggered way,gives you a chance to come up with and play some melodic ideas you wouldn't normally do....

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
    I really like, what peghead nation offers! I am a happy customer.
    many paths to enlightenment...

I asked Bill Monroe for his autograph once,and he said "sure,hold this",,and then hands me his mandolin...

28. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post:

From Nick - " It was these 2 experiences that convinced me that what I've got is really special." Nick - i'd venture to say that if a top player played almost any of our mandolins,we'd be amazed at 'what we have'.

T.D. - I have Bill Monroe's autograph,but his mandolin was in his case on the floor beside him. As it was,i was only 3 years into playing banjo & mandolin was 40 years away. I really love the 'staggered 16th' sound,but i really haven't figured it out = i haven't spent any time trying to = too busy pickin'. I really should spend some time with that clip of CH's,that's exactly the 'sound' that i associate with Bill Monroe - & forget the 'Loar' input,Bill Monroe would have sounded like that on almost any mandolin.

So, is it the sound of Bill Monroe's mandolin we all hanker after,or the 'sound of Bill Monroe' ?. I know which i'm going for - for 'some' tunes,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Ivan,,I believe it is not his "mandolin" ,but his sound..I'm from that school of thought,,,the staggered sound is not difficult once you understand its mechanics,,basically,in a nutshell,,you double every note,,and every note,or new note,you start with an upstroke,,it has a very unique sound,,the exciting sound of real flat picking ..once you srart,,you just can't stop....I hope only you read this,because it's a secret technique...

Most folk who've read any of my posts re.playing, know that i use music stored on my PC to 'pick along to'. A favourite 'Monroe tune' of mine,although i believe that Kenny Baker wrote it,is ''Northern White Clouds''. I have the Baker / Monroe version on my PC & i've been playing it for a couple of months now. I was playing it again yesterday, & it dawned on me that for most of it,i was using the 'staggered 16ths'' technique. On the track i have,there's no mandolin break,so i was doing the ''Bill Monroe bit'' & there it was.

One of the reasons i can learn something new pretty quickly,is that i'm darned good at 'copying'. That's why i've always learned to play by looking & listening rather than by 'reading' (TAB). In this case, i was obviously going for the 'sound' that BM would have produced. I've heard enough of his playing over 53 years to know what it sounds like to be able to try to do it. Although i'm not a 'Monroe stylist',for most of his tunes that i play,i do try to 'play it like Bill'.

TD - Yesterday,after realising what i was doing,i stopped a while to analyse it & it's just as you say - double every note - down /up - next note along - down / up............! That said,sometimes,like others,i can do something on 'automatic',but when i begin thinking about it,it drifts away. It's a bit like when i come up with a tune of my own. At first,it's great,then i start to fill it out & the original bit gets lost. I agree re. the 'sound'. IMHO,it's 95% the technique & 5% the mandolin tone. Bill Monroe played many mandolins other than his Loar over the years, & he always sounded like Bill Monroe on any of them,& mostly they were not Loars,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

33. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Excuse me,,,every new note is a " upstroke" ,,( picking towards your head),,so it's up,down,, new note,,UP,then down..gives like this rythmic picking sound that is unmistakable,,

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Excuse me,,,every new note is a " upstroke" ,,( picking towards your head),,so it's up,down,, new note,,UP,then down..gives like this rythmic picking sound that is unmistakable,,
    ?????
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

36. The following members say thank you to Manfred Hacker for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    Been working on this morning. Dn/Up is hard habit to break! Distinct sound difference tho

38. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Mark..very much so..it's a backward type switch,,I try to emphasize the first upstrokes to get the feel going..

40. The following members say thank you to T.D.Nydn for this post: