Thread: Martin F 2-15 for $80

Default Martin F 2-15 for $80

Missing the tail piece string cover and a bit dirty but all the bits are there. Found it in a Goodwill for $80, not a Gibson but still a lucky day. Does anyone know the original turners that Martin used? These feel like replacements. The "cloud" tailpiece string cover I may try and fabricate in my shop, looks like a fun Saturday project unless there is one out there I could buy.

Default Re: Martin F 2-15 for $80

Pictures are always good. I don't know where that F in the model is coming from. This 2-15 that's for sale on Gryphon's site has Waverly tuners on it. They could have changed depending on the year. Cloud tailpiece covers come up now and again. The tuners are on eBay regularly. One set is here. I'd verify the post spacing and lengths just to be sure before I bought those. If the year is later in the 50's then they might have used Klusons. Those can be purchased new.

If you haven't checked the serial number for the date yet go to this page and go to the mandolins on the bottom. Don't use the guitar serial numbers on the top of that page.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

That is quite a find. 2-15s are often listed for 10 to 15 times the amount you paid. I don't much like the sound of the Martin flattops or bent-tops, but I have run across a 2-15 or two that sounded nice.

Having purchased several cloud tailpieces over the years, I can testify that widths vary, and a cover you find on eBay may not fit the base installed on your mandolin. You're better off buying a complete tailpiece, or fabricating one if you have the equipment.

It has f-holes, but it's considered an "A-style" mandolin in a general sense, although "Style A" means something different when you're specifically talking about Martins.

NFI but if I'm not mistaken, this case should be a pretty good fit, although it's weird to pay more for the case than the mandolin:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/142305289644...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by mrmando; Mar-09-2017 at 3:18pm.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Congrats on the good deal!

Just what I need to protect my new/old friend. I found the serial number it she was made in 1958 so I was 2 years old!

Thanks for all the great info. She was made in 1958 so maybe Klusons it is. I have a weird knack of finding neglected vintage string and woodwinds at a great deal. I recently found a Sigma (by Martin) 12 string that needed some major love to $12. For a dollar a string I was able to resurrect her and she plays like a million bucks.

If they were Kluson's they sell reproduction tuners.

http://www.wdmusic.com/kluson_suprem...mtan18_iv.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3021.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	147.1 KB 
ID:	154753  

Looks like it's pretty much there if a little dirty. Is the bridge glued down? (It shouldn't be.)
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls