Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I Could Only Listen To One Player.

Default Re: If I Could Only Listen To One Player.

Mike Compton. He's so good at what he does and his interpretations of some of the older tunes are so very different than mine...for example the video of him, Sierra Hull, and Casey Campbell playing Soldier's Joy. Always play it closer to Hull's interpretation of the head, but his just BLEW me a way. I also really enjoy watching his left hand slide around the finger board.
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Default Re: If I Could Only Listen To One Player... it would drive me mad

Re: If I Could Only Listen To One Player.....It would get OLD and IRRITATING a lot sooner than you can imagine.

Just think of hearing a favorite tune over and over and over....., and over and over....., and over and over, until it becomes torture and turns into your own "Knock Three Times" or "Tie A Golden Ribbon" or "Achy Breaky Heart" personal torment.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I figured this thread would be dominated by "which of the big name players do you like?". Me, I'm going with a Pacific Northwest local: Tim Connell. Seems like he can play anything: old-time and bluegrass (check out his album June Apple), Celtic (that was his major or minor at the NY Conservatory of Music), and he's apparently nationally-known for choro (I wouldn't recognize a choro song if I heard one). Love his stage presence, love his style, love his tone. Amazing player, and very accessible through the workshop he does once a month at Dusty Strings. Yeah, I'm a groupie. Though if he's all I get to listen to, he needs to record more to fatten up that catalog.

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

If I could only pick one player, it would have to be Butch Baldassari. I am always inspired by the variety of music and different styles he could play so well on the mandolin. Sure wish he could have played longer than he did, but very thankful for what he left behind.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave Bradford For This Useful Post:

John Reischman without hesitation for me.

So many others that I really enjoy that are right on the line though, Emory Lester, Andrew Marlin of MandolinOrange, Sierra Hull,Aaron Ramsey

9. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

Thile for me, but give me a couple hours to think and I'll talk myself into someone else
    Chuck

11. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Chris Thile. You get the Nickel Creek catalog, the Punch Brothers catalog, the Mutual Admiration Society live shows, the Thile/Davies duo album, all of the solo stuff, plus the Prairie Home Companion shows, a lot of variety.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dwc View Post
    Chris Thile. You get the Nickel Creek catalog, the Punch Brothers catalog, the Mutual Admiration Society live shows, the Thile/Davies duo album, all of the solo stuff, plus the Prairie Home Companion shows, a lot of variety.
    You make a great point... Hmmmnnnn.... You'd get all the work with Edgar Meyer too.... It's amazing all he's amassed in 3.5 decades. It's a lifetimes work.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Here is a Chris Thile playlist I created on Spotify that's pretty complete...
    https://open.spotify.com/user/124435...WDdNEjuJkYte3w

And here is a
    Grisman List...
    https://open.spotify.com/user/124435...KFi49prrwZa8rH
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Tim O'Brien
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Being a Jethrovian it would have to be Mr. Burns for those in the celestial band ...... for those among us here on earth it would have to be his acolyte Sir Don of Stiernberg.

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    For me it would be John Reischman. I would love to be able to play like him. Like Dawg, he can play many different styles of music. And he is a very nice person on top of it.
    Yup...what he says.

I'm in the Dawg pound. I love lots of players, but D is why I picked up the mandolin. He can play something very simple and make me drop everything to listen. He can play straight-up Bluegrass with the best of them. Ditto for swing jazz. Then there's that Dawg music. I'm very glad to be able to listen to many people, but the idea of the OP is you're somehow only given access to one...

There's so many great players out there like Frank Solivan, Dave Harvey, Ronnie Mccoury, Doyle Lawson, I've learned something from all of them. And the greats that have passed. Monroe, Duffey, Dempsey young and so on. I could list great mandolin players all day but I can't pick just one, I love music so much that I look so forward to listening and learning from everyone, that's what makes music so great for me. I'm sorry I can't pick just one. I just can't and won't !!

Registered User Nathan Kellstadt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobby bill View Post
    I've got to go with Jethro. Because he puts a big old smile on my face every time.
    I'm leaning this way for the same reason.

john homer

There is a man named Andy Statman who burns so bright it hurts! I heard "Andy's Ramble" in the early 90s and wanted to play mandolin and incorporate my entire history of musical interests as he does still! Rock and roll, jazz, Bill Monroe, modal and Klezmer music, all played with the force of a hurricane and the depth of an ocean; and never the same way twice! And he often encompasses all of this in a single improvised solo! I don't often listen to him because his sheer intensity is all but over whelming, and like Coltrane, I have to make a major commitment to the experience. There is not even a close second.
    john homer

23. The following members say thank you to homermando for this post:

john homer

john homer

25. The following members say thank you to homermando for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by homermando View Post
    There is a man named Andy Statman
    Yes there is.

He was my first mandolin hero. I must have worn a new groove in my Flatbush Waltz album. And I have his album Brooklyn, which is flat out borderless.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

27. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Dawg for me to with a lot of close seconds. Glad I don't have to make that choice😀

Praise the good Lord that this is a purely a hypothetical question !!!. John Reischman / Herschel Sizemore / Emory Lester / Adam Steffey / Jimmy Gaudreau / Jeff Midkiff / Bill Monroe / Butch Baldassari / Randy Jones / Jeff Parker / Don Rigsby / Jesse Smathers / Ron Pennington ................!

I listen to nearly all these guys & the bands that they play with daily - so if i had to pick just one,i'd go for Adam Steffey / John Reischman / Bill Monroe .......... Sorry,i can't count either !!. A truly impossible question for me,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Sam Bush

I have never really patterned my playing after one player. As my playing has gravitated from Grass to roots, my focus has moved to Adam Steffey. His solo CDs really capture a soul that I like to emulate. I love the tone he brings out of his instruments. I really like the melodic nature of his playing. There are players with more notes and more technique, but not that I would prefer to listen to.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

32. The following members say thank you to red7flag for this post:

Floyd Cramer

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

As much as I'd like to say myself, I much prefer listening to really good players, so it's a tie between Mike Marshall and Andy Statman. I guess it just depends o the mood I'm in.

Blog Entries

I can't play this. Really. I can't. It would be like breathing the same air, eating the same food, or drinking only one thing for me.

It's the variety of players, strengths, weaknesses, styles that brings me joy when listening. I can't even name a single favorite at the top of my list player unless we caveat it with a Heisenberg Uncertainty principle. You can either know what kind of music I'm listening to at the moment or the player but not both at once!

DawgThileStatmanZanesMcCourySkaggsOBrien.......... .Me

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

36. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

Beanzy