Thread: Quality Gig Bag for Trinity College "dola"

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Default Quality Gig Bag for Trinity College "dola"

I received a ProTec case with my Trinity College mandola. I will be selling my T. C. in May when I upgrade to a Keith Coleman mandola. I would like to keep my ProTec case as they are no longer available.
    It is my desire to provide the future owner of my T. C. with a good quality gig bag since dola hard cases are near impossible to purchase without paying more than the cost of this instrument.
    Any recommendations for a quality gig bag that will fit this mandola?
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Default Re: Quality Gig Bag for Trinity College "dola"

I have a Boulder case for my electric mandolin and think it's terrific. It's very well made and comes with backpack straps. It's also available in several colors to make it stand out a bit. If they make one that'll fit a mandola, it would be a good choice. Perhaps a banjo bag.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

A case that fits a mandola is the issue. Lots of cases that don't fit are available.
    Kentucky KM-950

A Superior Trailpak gig bag might (or might not) fit, if you can find one. Mine fits my Flatiron mandola, but I don't know the dimensions of a TC. I also don't know if the Trailpak I have was designed specifically for mandola or something else (some short banjo maybe?) but it fits the Flatiron very well. That instrument's 28" long and 10.5" wide.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Okay, I was curious, and I couldn't even find a Superior to match mine. (It is old, and probably discontinued, like so many mandola cases and bags! )

But I did find this which might be of interest. 20mm padding sounds twice better than the Superior, if the other dimensions work.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

T Y
    Once I realized that metric conversions I learned 50 years ago have failed me and I went to google to convert to standardard measure, IT WILL FIT!
    That company has a US distribution center (I think in Michigan) from which I can order. This will be on my todo list when I make it back to Pa.
    I just would not feel right advertising my Trinity College "dola" in these classifieds without providing some kind of a case. My T. C. mandola should make for a great introduction to mandolas for one of our Cafe members.
    Kentucky KM-950

Glad it will fit! I hear you about wanting some protective bag to sell it with. as well as not wanting to part with the hard case. They are so difficult to come by! I have two mandola cases I'll not part with for that reason - one is a ProTec (like yours, I imagine) that I found many years ago in the Cafe Classifieds, and the other is a nice deep, triple latching mandola-sized hard case that my Sawchyn Beaver Tail was sent from Canada in (gently pre-owned). It's probably a Canadian-made case. The BeaverTail now lives in the ProTec, though, because I needed the extra deep one for my extra deep bodied Weisberg mandola. But both cases are ones the likes of which I haven't seen available since. It's too bad, really. Mandolas get no respect!

bratsche