Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Are they really worth it?

Dave Sheets

Default Re: Are they really worth it?

I also thought spending the $30 or $35 bucks for a Blue Chip was a bit crazy, but then I tried one. For me, the sound did improve, but the big deal was that the pick stayed in place in my hand, so I don't have to grip as hard. Staying looser means I can play faster cleanly, and I'm not stressing all those tendons as badly. So that was that, had to have one.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

Whatever gets the tone you want is worth the money. The pick is your direct link to the tone you produce. Its priceless. I would not give up my Blue Chip for anything and Ive tried so many. But I could care less what you play or the guy next to me plays or the other guys on the internet play. Its whats best for you. In my case the best over all fit is my big fat Blue Chip.

Thousands of dollars in a mandolin
    $500.00 Case
    Don't forget your tone guard, arm rest, tuner and Strap.
    Thousands or dollars in Music Lessons
    Thousands of Hours in Practice.
    Thousands of Hours in studying music
    And connect all of that through my right hand with a $2.00 Guitar Pick....? Makes no sense to me.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cosmic Graffiti For This Useful Post:

Makes sense to me if I see no difference in $2 pick and $40 pick. If you do then it would make sense to you. I'd spend $1000 on a pick if that would make me play like any one of my heros or make my mandolin sound like a Loar but it don't and I ain't.

Oh yeah, I forgot why I stopped posting here. Thanks for the reminder.

A violinist may pay $3,000 for a bow, so mandolin players get off easy. Actually, I have a Blue Chip pick that I love and a few old Red Bear picks that are my go to picks these days. They're fragile, but I love the sound. I like D'Andrea Pro Plecs with my electric. You don't have to pay $30 for a pick, but in my opinion you get what you pay for.

I was very happy with the Blue Chip for many years (still my go to pick for guitar) until I switched to Wolle when I got more into classical playing. They would be quite a bit cheaper if I didn't have to import them, but it's still worth it to me.

I take the Cost, sting off a little, getting 2nd hand ones from other people, off the classifieds
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Graffiti View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot why I stopped posting here. Thanks for the reminder.
    Yep. Bluechip threads are not for the tender-hearted.

I have used the same Blue Chip pick on guitar for about four or five years with no noticeable wear. I used to use an Ultem of the same shape but the edge would become like a razor tho the tone is comparable. The Meldin plastic is what makes the BCs so expensive. One 12" X 12" sheet costs about $1300 USD. But it is a superstring material.

I used BCs on mandolin for many years but recently switched to Wegens because I liked the way I play with them. Also my mandolin picks don't wear much anyway. I still go back to the BC from time to time. I understand what Allen says but just because I own a few BCs I don't have to defend their cost and use but just use what is good for me. I certainly don't care what others do either. Every one has their own taste and methods.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

In the interest of Full Financial Disclosure, I should point out that, due to my "skills" as a mando player, Blue Chip pays me not to use their picks (I used to just cover up the logo with a piece of tape, but people could still tell from the color, so ...).

13. The following members say thank you to jesserules for this post: