Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to mando: Eastman MD404 or MD805V?

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to mando: Eastman MD404 or MD805V?

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    One thing I've found, when playing two similar mandolins, I always like the one costing double.
    I bet in most cases you could tell which one costs more just by which one you liked more.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Hmm, are you saying you did try higher-level x04s and just preferred the 404? Interesting, maybe you just happened to hit on an exceptional 404 and should buy it! Might want to upgrade the tuners though.
    I can't remember if there was another x04. Many mandolins went back and forth in my hand over the course of 90 to 120 minutes. I didn't pay attention to model designation until I was down to two mandos that felt right in my hands.

I don't have the experience to tell whether this 404 is exceptional or not. All I know is that I like it. And the tuners work really well. Better than on the 805 actually.

I'm almost decided to go for the 805-V right now.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

. . . just to add, Chris Thile plays everything on an arch-top, f-hole mandolin.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

[QUOTE=Uke Richard;1560349]I can't remember if there was another x04. Many mandolins went back and forth in my hand over the course of 90 to 120 minutes. I didn't pay attention to model designation until I was down to two mandos that felt right in my hands. Unquote]

I have experienced that zone many times in Toronto. I think of it as "Twelfth Fret Delirium" (plan to spend a couple of hours there if youre ever in To. Best mando selection in Canada as far as I know. )

I don't have the experience to tell whether this 404 is exceptional or not. All I know is that I like it. And the tuners work really well. Better than on the 805 actually.
    I'm almost decided to go for the 805-V right now.
    Probably the best choice in the long run. Eastmans have all gotten more expensive over the years--which is why they brought in the 300 and 400 series--but they are not going to get cheaper, and the x05 line is excellent quality at all levels. My concept of what constitutes an exceptional Eastman is informed by my conviction that I am lucky enough to have a 505 that meets this definition: quality beyond its price level, observed by several accomplished players. Of course many people feel this is true of their 300 and 400 series instruments too and who am I to say, but the hardware appointments on the 5xx and up are objectively much better than the 3s and 4s. I was thinking to upgrade tuners, maybe tailpiece and maybe bridge on the 505 but I just got it refretted (seven years hard playing) and I now realize that and basic setup were all it needed to get back to its original wonderfulness. Go for it, man!

The 12th Fret is a dangerous place for MAS development. Been meaning to go buy some grommets but am looking for a day where I cant stick around long enough to get excited about instruments my wallet won't allow for...

6. The following members say thank you to Lowlands Blue for this post:

UPDATE: I have chosen the MD805/v. The MD404 I had my hands on is a very nice mandolin too, but I am determined to have only one so the 805 won. Thanks to all for your help, thoughts and comments.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9311.JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	155143
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9312.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	155144

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    I have experienced that zone many times in Toronto. I think of it as "Twelfth Fret Delirium" (plan to spend a couple of hours there if youre ever in To. Best mando selection in Canada as far as I know. )
    We have a place here in Calgary called The Acoustic Guitar that's by appointment. Great place to get lost in. They have a fantastic selection of guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, and accessories.

http://www.acousticguitar.net

The website is not up to date but it doesn't matter. Impossible to visit the place and not have a big smile on your face the whole time. The owner Michael Macleod is the best guy to deal with.

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Congrats on your wise choice. I have been waiting to hear from you on the decision. I suspect that you are going to be very happy with your new 805. She is a beauty. Play it in good health.
    Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

Thanks, Larry.

Nice looking mandolin! I think you made a wise choice. Post an audio clip of it sometime.
    Enjoy it!

12. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lowlands Blue View Post
    The 12th Fret is a dangerous place for MAS development. Been meaning to go buy some grommets but am looking for a day where I cant stick around long enough to get excited about instruments my wallet won't allow for...
    Yeah, right, "grommets". I'll have to remember that one. "Hon, I just stopped in for grommets and you wont believe what happened next..."