Thread: Took a chance at Amazon

Default Took a chance at Amazon

I'd been reading about a few Kentucky and J.Bovier mandolins at Amazon, under-priced so to speak. So I started putting different makers in a general search. After putting "Breedlove" in a search I saw 2 "new in box" Breedlove Premier Series FF mandolins for $500.00 dollars each with a nominal $5.00 shipping fee. They were described as being made in Bend. I recall these were only made in 2014-2015. MSRP was $2265.00 and I think they usually sold for around $1699.00 new. IIRC most of the set up work on a USA made Breedlove was done at the shop. I also thought they were boxed with a case. If not I'll buy a case. I had a Premier OF and it played beautifully with plenty of volume. Worst case scenario I'll have to have it set up, which is about $75.00 to $100.00 at the place I go to in Baltimore. The FF isn't the most beautiful mandolin with that hook for a scroll, but if I don't like it I'm certain I can flip it. Funny thing. Within 15 minutes the other FF sold.
    I'll report back. I just don't think I can go wrong at that price. I'm going to need something to replace the mandolin I'm selling anyway.
    I also recall Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy, though I've never used it. I know the wife has, though.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Took a chance at Amazon

Well, do let us know. What a deal!
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

3. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I know. The phrase "Too good to be true" comes to mind. I see you're about 3 hours or so from Bend?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Blog Entries

Yup. Last summer I was thinking about a visit to the TOH facilities but it got derailed. Memory is fuzzy on why. I have been known to drive MUCH farther to look at mandolins.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

6. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

I ordered a mando from Amazon last month at a "too good to be true price" they never sent me anything and cancelled the order. But I hope yours turns out better than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
    I ordered a mando from Amazon last month at a "too good to be true price" they never sent me anything and cancelled the order. But I hope yours turns out better than mine.
    Hmm? Sorry to hear that. Well, I hope they returned your money? The seller had two. Had 98% feedback. "Craig Books and More". Located in Minnesota. Right now, the order is showing "preparing to ship." Do you recall what you ordered and from whom?
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
    I had the same problem with several items at a ridiculously low price over Christmas. They were new businesses with no ferdback. They sent me shipping notice but never shipped and kept my money. Amazon made good but now I never buy unless the seller has ample ferdback.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Yup. Last summer I was thinking about a visit to the TOH facilities but it got derailed. Memory is fuzzy on why. I have been known to drive MUCH farther to look at mandolins.
    Save your time, they don't give tours. They will let you look at the showroom.

11. The following members say thank you to George R. Lane for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I had the same problem with several items at a ridiculously low price over Christmas. They were new businesses with no ferdback. They sent me shipping notice but never shipped and kept my money. Amazon made good but now I never buy unless the seller has ample ferdback.
    These people had 120 sales with 98% positive feedback in 30 days.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

I guess you never know who is going to rip you off. At least you know Amazon will refund any money lost.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I guess you never know who is going to rip you off. At least you know Amazon will refund any money lost.
    I was on Amazon about a week ago. just looking at Gibson mandolins, they had a whole string of em for like 500 bucks each. Scam there,they were pulled the next day, It was all by same seller. If it was true I would've bought everyone they had to flip! Scammers are for sure alive and well most everywhere. gots to be careful in this most awful digital age.
    Last edited by William Smith; Mar-05-2017 at 2:01am. Reason: wrong spelling

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I bought a really low priced mandolin on Amazon around Christmas, I say one on eBay used at a good price and almost bought it something told me check Amazon, I did and I had one in my wish list , but when I searched I found one $50 cheaper than the used one, luckily mine arrived on time and it's fun to play. Hopefully yours shows up
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

16. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I bought a really low priced mandolin on Amazon around Christmas, I say one on eBay used at a good price and almost bought it something told me check Amazon, I did and I had one in my wish list , but when I searched I found one $50 cheaper than the used one, luckily mine arrived on time and it's fun to play. Hopefully yours shows up
    I have seen a number of new J.Bovier models there at outstanding prices.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Actually, they cancelled the order yesterday, Monday the 6th. Which was okay with me. As a reason, they gave "out of stock". Oh well. Amazon handles everything, and do not charge until a product is shipped, so I was charged nothing. Actually worked out better. Talked to a guy today at a place called the Fret Shop in Winchester VA. It's a little over a 2 hour drive, and a really nice area, pretty close to the Skyline Drive. He has a Eastman MD615 Sun Burst. It's a demo model from 2014. Has a little blemish. Fingerprint smudge on the top, near the neck, treble side, close to the upper point. Nice rectangular hard case. His starting point is $850.00. Never been owned. Set up. I'm going to drive over on Wednesday the 8th, and take a look at it. Just in case, I'll bring along a handful of unmarked bills. I always figure, if I want to talk reducing the price, cash in hand is the way to achieve that. If not, $850.00 for an instrument that generally sells for around $1250.00 new is a fair deal. One door closed, another opened.
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

19. The following members say thank you to Bill Kammerzell for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Actually, they cancelled the order yesterday, Monday the 6th. Which was okay with me. As a reason, they gave "out of stock".
    Every time I try to buy something that's a great deal through an Amazon 3rd party seller, I get the "out of stock" notice and my order cancelled. Once, I bought a CD on eBay, the order was cancelled because they "coulldn't find it," then inadvertently bought it from the same seller on Amazon.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Willkamm, you'll do better buying in person if you can. Good luck on the trip.

22. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Gies View Post
    Willkamm, you'll do better buying in person if you can. Good luck on the trip.
    Yes Danny, I did do better. Eastman MD615 A/E with a K&K factory pickup. As described on the Eastman Website. This is never owned, a demo with a minor fingerprint smudge blemish. 2014. $800.00. Place named the Fret Shop in Winchester VA on their walking mall in the olde town. Owned by a guy named Jon Rose. Real nice guy. Offered to sell my Silverangel for me whenever it gets back from Florida. I'm going to take him up on it. Mostly sells all acoustic stuff. Guitars mostly, about 7 or 8 mandolins. This was the nicest. Plays great. Nice tone, and I already plugged it in and the pickup sounds great, even without the pre amp. He did a good set up. Nice case.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MD615.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	290.2 KB 
ID:	154729  
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)

Score! Looks good. I like the strap too.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

25. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post: