Thread: Beginner upgrade (that poor dead horse)

Default Beginner upgrade (that poor dead horse)

I know that these discussions are ALL OVER the site but I'm going to beat the dead horse some more. I have a Michael Kelly A Solid I bought around 2004 from Folk of the Woods. It was an upgrade from something that had picture hanging nails holding the strings into the tail piece. I never really went crazy with it as I've been a lowly drummer my whole life but every once in a while would go on a binge. Well the binge seems to be sticking now since I semi retired from drums and moved the mando to the living room. I'm still just above beginner, not quite (maybe approaching) intermediate but was thinking about an upgrade. What I'm wondering is will there be a substantial difference between the 13 year old $300 mando and something in the neighborhood of $700? I don't have access to anything other than your standard big box store mandos here in SW CT (Fender, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc) so playing first is unlikely, which I hate the idea of. My MK really isn't a bad instrument, I'm wondering if a good tune up with some refretting and maybe replacing the bridge would make me regret buying an Eastman 505 or something similar (one of those J Bovier black tops really catch my eye). This Michael Kelly was when they were still made in Korea. From what I'm reading it seems as of late the company is very inconsistent but I don't see much written about the older models.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Beginner upgrade (that poor dead horse)

IMO in view of the fact that you have nowhere near to shop you purchase your next mandolin from a mandolin friendly store. Dennis Vance at The Mandolin store https://themandolinstore.com/ or from Robert Fear at https://www.folkmusician.com/
    Both stores come highly recommended here on the café. I have purchased from The Mandolin Store and all went well for me. Insofar as a physical difference in a mandolin purchased in 04' and what is being produced in 16' from Pacific Rim luthiers the answer is yes. The quality of overseas manufactured instruments continues to rise. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

I can't speak with any experience about your instruments but I did learn that a proper set-up is critically important - and I think it can make a huge difference on any mandolin. If you want the Eastman or Bouvier (both are well-regarded on the forum) I say go for it. Money spent on a good mandolin is generally money well spent. And what UsuallyPickin just said is good information.

Based on experiences f people here there are a couple stores I would feel comfortable ordering from. My issue really is about the quality of instrument from a $300 mando to a $600-$800 mando. I would hope your getting something for the price jump but would I be better off waiting until I wanted to spend over $1000 if a good setup will help with the old one?

A mandolin that is 13 years old might still benefit from a decent set-up, meaning that a relatively small outlay could extend its use for many years to come - giving you time to save up for a bigger leap in quality. Search the Cafe Builder Database for luthiers near you.

7. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

In 2004, Michael Kelly was one of the best selling brands, and the A-solid was one of the best mandolins at the price point. At that point in time, the A-solid was a great choice! Fast forward to 2017, and a whole lot has changed. The Loar mandolins came about, Kentucky has went through two complete redesigns and many upgrades, and Eastman has become a dominant force. All the while, import mandolins have been steadily improving.

So yes, even a KM-150 (about the price you paid for your A-solid), is a nice upgrade. With a $700 budget, you will have quite a few choices for nice A-styles. If you would like an F style, the choice is very simple. The Eastman MD315.

I agree with Ron, your mandolin might be improved with some setup work. I wouldn't put money into upgrades or a refret though. You will exceed the cost of a batter mandolin.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I am in alignment with Robert. The MD315 is a wonderful instrument. Setup and other misc adjustment (I assume others do something equivalent to what I do, although I don't know that) can bring an amazing amount out of these instruments. There are also some newer Kentuckys that just arrived here I'm excited to get to. The existing work and that hassle of law is interfering, but soon.

There are, of course, other choices depending on your preferences. I've always been partial to the Eastman MD505.

Really, almost any of the more specialized brands actually designed and built to play (rather than simply look like fancy mandolins) will likely be a jump up.
    Stephen Perry

10. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Anybody here know anything about this?

https://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/5979852309.html

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post

I'd check that one out for sure.
    Otherwise, you can probably do the setup of your own MK mandolin and see if you get some improvement.
    Check this out: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...=1#post1196418

Quote Originally Posted by jaybp30 View Post
    Eastman Md-605's seem to sell for $850 new and discounted, around $600 used. Seller's asking a premium because the blonde finish was a "limited edition," I guess.

Looks like a nice instrument, and you would get to play it before purchasing (a big plus). I'd see if the seller would dicker a bit, unless the blonde finish really floats your boat, and you think looks, and the opportunity to evaluate it hands-on, are worth what might be an extra $100.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

14. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I have heard one 605 and it was played by a very good player. It sounded excellent. Just to give you an idea of price he is one that was recently at the Mandolin Store - there is also a used one in the classifieds that has been there for quite a while and is less as well.

https://themandolinstore.com/product...electric-used/

So the one listed seems high to me. As Robert mentioned with lots of completion the mandolins built in the last few years have gotten really good.

Here are a couple of options that might be better values?

https://reverb.com/item/4126531-east...-mandolin-mint
    https://reverb.com/item/4369623-eastman-md-505-classic (I think the same one is listed in the classifieds)

But you might contact a couple of the site sponsors and tell them what you are looking for and your budget and see what they have. You will get a well setup instrument, warranty if new and a return privilege. Don't be afraid to be patient as you should have several good choices in your price range.

16. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I would take a look at that if you are nearby. The newer Eastman's are nicer, but "any" Eastman is still going to e a good mandolin assuming no issues. Check the neck and the seams on these years. Check fret wear. If it all looks good, I would make an offer.

That year did not have the pickup installed and is really more of a 505 with some nicer looking wood and more binding. Which can also be said of the current 605, other than the current version has a pickup.
    Although the walrus bridge saddle cap looks cool, they generally produce a harsher tone.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Based on experiences f people here there are a couple stores I would feel comfortable ordering from. My issue really is about the quality of instrument from a $300 mando to a $600-$800 mando. I would hope your getting something for the price jump but would I be better off waiting until I wanted to spend over $1000 if a good setup will help with the old one?
    I wouldn't generalize as to a $800 mandolin being better than your A solid. There are plenty of mandolins that are no better or even worse, that do sell for $800 (street price). In fact, I would go so far as to say, that most of the $600-800 mandolins made are not going to be any better than your current mandolin. There are only a handful of instruments that really stand out. If you get one of these (let's say an Eastman), it will be a significant upgrade, and you don't have to go any further than the MD305.

The best mandolin values change every few years, but for the last 10 years or so, Eastman, Kentucky and The Loar have been the stand out brands at this price point.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

If you like your MK, and if it sounds good to you, looks good to you, holds tune, plays well, etc., then I would suggest keeping it and playing the heck out of it. If you could find someone to go over it with a great setup, even better. Either way, good luck.

If you want to check out some mandolins in person, you can always trek over to Acoustic Music in Guilford, although they mostly have high-end stuff. Nothing in Connecticut is particularly far from anything else in Connecticut unless transportation is an issue. I mean, I work in Greenwich, you don't get much more southwest than that. On a good day, it's about 20 minutes from Greenwich to Fairfield, where I live. I think it took me something like 45 minutes to get to Guilford from Fairfield. Definitely worth a look see just to enjoy the selection.

for the other issue, a lot depends on whether you like the feel of the MK -- Eastmans have a slimmer neck profile -- as to whether to get a first/new/better setup or buy a new instrument. You can't go wrong with any of the advertisers here on the café -- they're very good working with people who are figuring out what they want.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna see if I can check out that blonde (always been partial to them-ask my wife). I'll report back. Randi, if you did Fairfield to guilford in 45 minutes you must have been out in the middle of the night. Through new haven traffic free is quite a feat.

I think it was some random Saturday mid-morning. I can get to Vernon in about an hour -- but I'll admit I average about 75. It's so much easier now they've fixed middle New Haven!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I would get Rob M's setup ebook to evaluate your instrument. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...by-Rob-Meldrum. You may have to polish the frets to see how level they are (by looking athe reflection of the strings on the frets). If you don't want to try the setup, you can drive/FedEx the instrument to somebody.

maybe alternate string sets: GHS silk/Bronze, the new d'addario nickel bronze, Mangan Monels are some you could try that tend to take the edge off brighter instruments.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

You might want to take a look at this Eastman 315 in the classifieds.........

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/108382#108382

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings