Thread: Help me make a decision

Default Help me make a decision

Hey everyone - I've been itching to try my hand at the mandolin for a while now and am finally ready to pull the trigger. This forum has been incredibly helpful in learning about mandolins in general, so thank you for that!

I've got my eye on a couple used mandolins I've found on Reverb.com that appear to be coming from respected dealers. One is a Michael Kelly A-style solid that comes with a hard case, capo and strings. The other is a The Loar LM-290 with a gig bag. I contacted both sellers about setup, and they both basically said their respective instruments have been previously setup but need new strings.

I'm new to the mandolin but no stranger to stringed instruments, so I'm not worried about restringing one. Both of these mandolins are just about the same price ($300), and I was hoping you could give me some sage wisdom as to which one might be a better option.

Default Re: Help me make a decision

I would look at the entry level Kentucky km150 or higher OR the Eastman md 305 or md 315 over either of the models you mentioned in that same entry level price range.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Well, to start with, Kentucky and Eastman are great mandolins, but you asked about Michael Kelly and Loar, so let's start by answering your question. ("Ham sandwich," if you know what I mean.)

Both the MK and the Loar are all solid woods (good), but the Loar is hand carved (better), and the MK is heat-pressed into shape (not so good). The MK A-solid is listed for $200 discounted; when you add hardshell case and accessories, I guess you get up to $300 or so. The Loar LM-290 is offered between $300 and $450 by different sellers, sometimes with case, sometimes without.

Reading over a decade of Cafe posts -- and I own neither a Loar nor a Michael Kelly -- the Loar instruments get consistent high marks, while the MK's reviews are more varied. Were I making your choice, I'd go with the Loar, though a hardshell case would be better than a gig bag.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for your input, guys. I chuckled when I read Astro's post, because prior to finding these two I was just about set on a KM150 but was intrigued by these, particularly the Loar for the reasons you mentioned and the fact that I'd only seen that particular mandolin in the neighborhood of $400 which is more than I'd like to spend.

I saw earlier today that there's a used KM150 in the classifieds here for $250 shipped, what would you recommend between that and the Loar?

I read in an old thread an opinion by Robert of Folkmusician, that he thought the KM-150 and the LM-290 were just about "equivalent," with somewhat different voices but comparable materials and work-person-ship.

Both carved, solid wood. I think you'd be pretty pleased whichever you went with.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I started seriously on a 150S and it was a perfectly good mandolin, especially once I got it set up well.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Sorry to not address your original question about Michael Kelly vs. Loar, but a few people have mentioned KM-150s.

I got my KM-150 from Elderly in January, and it's been great. The $395 package comes with almost everything you need (book, picks, extra strings, tuner, gig bag, professional setup). You can play it out of the box, which I did (and I haven't stopped since). It's a great beginner mandolin, brand new, and it's in the price range of the two you mentioned. The only thing missing from the package is a strap and a competent musician to play it.

9. The following members say thank you to daveclt for this post:

I'd say snag the used KM 150, but would temper that opinion due to a recent refinement of the Kentucky line.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

So i cant help much here as i have not played any
    Of these instruments mentioned. I can say i have heard praises for eastman and kentucky.fir pac rim
    Instruments you get pretty good bang for your buck.you mentioned one comes with a capo.
    I would caution its use on a mandolin.it can become a crutch and prevent you from learning
    The neck....you see very few players that use them..
    They are kind of poo-pood in a jam session..
    Again in regards to a new purchase you may
    Want to save up and buy a better quality used instrument. I recently saw a Rigel on reverb for 800.
    You inevitably get what you pay for.

Blog Entries

Between the two you presented us with my pick would go Loar before the MK. The presence or absence of a hard case is not a huge issue at this point. You can always get a hard case or a Travelite when you have some extra money down the road. If you know stringed instruments you know how to treat something only protected by a gig bag.

If you can get a KM150 for a similar deal, go whichever one strikes your eye better now. Just because they were set up doesn't mean they may not need a set up after you get it! Be prepared for that. Frankly, any of those will be fine for you to learn how to play mandolin with. You may end up buying a more expensive mandolin later but these, when well set up, are perfectly fine to learn and even to play out with (consider all the photos of people playing gigs with Rogue mandolins). We can be a snobby bunch with the mandolins available but, to learn and play on.... You don't need to start out at the middle or top of the food chain to see if the mandolin is your cuppa tea!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I have both the Loar and MK. Got one in a trade and bought the other. Both have good setups and both sound good, just different. They are both way above their price point in sound and most folks who hear them can't believe what they cost. I have one out on loan to someone wanting to learn mandolin. In my opinion for the couple hundred they are both a good deal, especially if you buy a used one for a good price.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!