Thread: Where can I find nylon strings and a tailpiece for them?

Default Where can I find nylon strings and a tailpiece for them?

Hi all,
    I need to move to nylon strings due to a medical condition (not arthritis). I've given up playing but it's making me crazy (crazier LOL) so I'm going to nylon.

I've tried different nylon guitar strings on my Weber Aspen (flat, A) but I'm not crazy about the sound. And tying the knots onto the tailpiece was a nightmare. And of course the E strings broke.

Any suggestions for strings and switching out a tailpiece? I'm guessing the nut will need filing too. Not sure the Weber will ever sound reasonable with nylon strings - but what do I have to lose? I've tried the soprano uke with mandolin strings (Aquila GDAe for soprano) but it's not that comfortable to play - fat neck, deep body, quiet, and not great tone....

Thank you.
    Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Default Re: Where can I find nylon strings and a tailpiece for them?

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    Hi all,
    I need to move to nylon strings due to a medical condition (not arthritis). I've given up playing but it's making me crazy (crazier LOL) so I'm going to nylon.

I've tried different nylon guitar strings on my Weber Aspen (flat, A) but I'm not crazy about the sound. And tying the knots onto the tailpiece was a nightmare. And of course the E strings broke.

Any suggestions for strings and switching out a tailpiece? I'm guessing the nut will need filing too. Not sure the Weber will ever sound reasonable with nylon strings - but what do I have to lose? I've tried the soprano uke with mandolin strings (Aquila GDAe for soprano) but it's not that comfortable to play - fat neck, deep body, quiet, and not great tone....

Thank you.
    Jill
    Sorry to learn of your unspecified medical condition. I think the hard truth is that your Weber Aspen will never sound "right" with any brand of nylon strings. So sorry. They will never produce the timbre of steel, and the decay times are totally different, as well. It can't be helped. And nylon strings will never hold enough energy to drive that top at any appreciable volume, either.

That said, you could certainly try using two sets of Aquila GDAe (meant for uke) on your mando, though, as an experiment.

It should not be so hard to put nylon strings into that Weber one-piece tailpiece, though. Just tie a figure-eight or similar bulky knot into one end of the string, and then thread the untied end through the tailpiece, pulling it out until it draws the bulky knot right up against the slotted cleft found in the base of the tailpiece, where it will jam (because it won't fit through). Don't bother to try to use those little pegs that are meant for loop-ends on metal strings. Just let the knot's size do the work for you. Easy peasy.

Two options I would try:

1. Sell the Weber. Contact Hoffman Ukuleles. He mostly makes ukes, but he has made some 8-nylon-string mandolins. I played two of them at a store in St. Louis and they sound incredible! There is one pictured about halfway down the page at the link.
    http://hoffmannlutherie.com/instruments.html

2. I have strung a 14.5" scale uke as a 4-string mando and the luthier who build my uke builder told me this is: For the 4, 3. and 2 courses, use 4, 3 and 2 strings from classical guitar sets. Cheap ones are fine. For the E course, use 0.4mm, 20 lb. test nylon fishing line. It works great. The E string sounds the best of all of them! Also, you can buy a reel of it for $8 that will last you lifetime. And you can fish with it!

4. The following members say thank you to John Flynn for this post:

Thanks for the replies. I'm still perplexed regarding a tailpiece (the Weber has an Allen on it) and tying the knots was near impossible. And if the tone won't produce with nylon it's a wash.... I wish I could play the Hoffman/boat paddle and see how the neck profile feels - if it's fat like a ukulele that's too hard on my hand too..... hmmm....

Martin cant top mandolins require light strings. There are others like supertone, that are similar, and less expensive. They have short 13" scales so with light strings they play very easy. The necks are small and comfortable. You might be able to use nylon strings, but with very light gauge strings if it is too hard you could always tune down a step and that would lessen the tension quite a bit. Good luck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

I think that a nylon strung mandolin could sound really cool and I'll second the suggestion for either an existing 8 string uke, (although the ones I've seen have a longer scale than a mandolin), or getting a custom mando/uke built. But here is some more food for thought. Nylon strung instruments usually have a higher action because of the larger vibrating arc of the string which could cancel out any benefit from the lesser tension of the string. Have you considered a good set up on your current mandolin? I use light gauge strings on my mandolins (arthritis in my case), but I've played others mandolins with heavy strings on them that had such beautiful set ups that they were easier to play than mine, you had to barely touch the string to fret it. Best of luck in your quest
    Peace

Hi all,
    Thanks for all the great ideas, guys. I'm a little uncomfortable talking about my health stuff, but I have problems with steel - it does something to my skin that makes it crack and bleed - so it's not a "tension" issue (although I do have some arthritis) but it's a metal issue. I've considered a Cremonese 4-string gut/nylon mandolin (better than not playing) but I'm not looking for a bowl back if I can help it.
    I'm going to look for the fishing line per John's post - the Allen tailpiece is not conducive to tying knots, so maybe I'll put the Weber tailpiece back on? I'm not sure the nylon is going to get the top vibrating enough on the Weber. I have a Lyon & Healy Style B, and a Gibson F5 and a Weber F4 but I just can't bring myself to put nylon on them (although I can't play them as they are).

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Well, if it's some kind of an allergy or reaction to metal strings that you're experiencing, then I would urge you to try to deal with that issue more directly, before considering switching to nylon strings. Unfortunately, you will NEVER achieve a real mandolin tone by using nylon strings, and furthermore, your Weber mandolin was designed specifically for metal strings, so nylon strings will never drive the top adequately. You would really need a fundamentally different instrument made for nylon, with a different thickness top.

First: Have you tried using coated strings, like D'Addario EXP74s or Nanoweb Elixirs, instead of bare (uncoated) ones? This might make a huge difference to you! Properly coated metal strings should not allow any bare metal to contact your fingertips, at least until the coating starts to break down (and this requires weeks up to months).

Second: Have you tried pre-treating your strings regularly with a thin coating of mineral oil, or with a commercial product like GHS FastFret, so that the bare metal does not come into contact with your fingers? This light oil coating also reduces friction when fretting, and will allow your fingertips to slide better, without being so prone to cracking.

Third: Many people naturally have acids in their finger oils (from sebaceous glands) that react with bare metals to produce various oxides, and these lead to allergic reactions. Try washing your hands thoroughly, especially before, and also after, playing to get rid of these acidic oils. And wipe down your strings after each playing session, too.

If you do all three of these precautionary things, there's a good chance that your reactions to metal will disappear!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

You might try Monel strings. It is possible that your skin would respond differently to that metal alloy. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

If you haven't already experimented, I would think about comparing strings made of different alloys too.
    Years ago, I used some Titanium covered strings on a guitar for other reasons. Don't know if they make mandolin strings or not, but won't hurt to ask. Can't remember the name; memory says German sounding name.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Thanks again, guys. I'll throw in a few thoughts. I really didn't want to get into the details of my medical issue, but it's due to an autoimmune disease - somewhat like Lupus I guess (with other factors involved) - so the steel from the strings cuts into my fingers, my skin reacts as if it's being attacked (that's the autoimmune part), and the skin splits open. It's like having a X-acto knife slice into your fingertips, pour a little salt in there, then play the mandolin (yes, it's painful!). Even when I had calluses I started having this problem - the calluses didn't protect my fingertips, as the skin just splits open. I'm working with doctors and alternative medicine to try and stop the symptoms. Anyway, I still think it would be interesting to try some of the options that you'all have given me to think about!

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

p.s. Yes, I usually do (did) buy coated strings. And softer strings, like the Thomastiks, too.

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    Hi all,

Thank you.
    Jill
    Have a look at the thread about Aquilla strings, I believe these are nylon strings.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Even with coated strings, the unwound strings are plain steel,right? I'd still stay away from them if I were the OP.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

And consider the Ukulele .... a fine instrument with nylon strings. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Aquila used to make nylon strings for mandolins - but the E strings broke and they (to my knowledge) have not come up with another option, so those strings have been discontinued. I might consider trying the Aquila strings tuned in 5ths for the soprano 'ukulele (13" scale) on my Lyon & Healy (13" scale) (I kinda hate to do that to such a cool mandolin) - I also bought the fluorocarbon fishing line that is mentioned, so I'll try that for an E string as well.
    I do play the 'ukulele - it's a lot of fun, but I'm not finding a teacher who will work with the rep that I like to play (classical rep mostly, with some of the jazz standards too)
    Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

18. The following members say thank you to shiloh for this post:

Aquilla has a Mandolin set, but the fingerboard has to be a bit wider, for nylon strings

you may be able to press down a lighter gage set, say 9 ~ 32 steel/bronze set.
    without selling your mandolin

I have a banjo uke, it has a variety of strings on it ; Low E from a Classical Guitar And the D, .. the high E is soprano uke

but often I dont try to tune it so high. F C G D is good enough.

You can tye a knot in the end to secure them...
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I don't know if this will work, but decades ago I did it with a banjo. I wanted a different sound so I did some experimenting with classical guitar strings on my banjo. I don't know why they wouldn't work for am mandolin. You will have to have a tailpiece that will accept ball end strings or again be able to tie the strings on. The tension should not be a problem, but you may have to experiment with string gauges to find what works. The wound strings on some classical sets have a silver wrap so you will have to be careful there. I would think most guitar stores could order you singles and you could make up a set. I would start with the same gauge as you mandolin for the wound strings. I use guitar strings on my mandolin, but they are a white bronze. I like the sound, but they are not available in loop end so I remove the ball ends. I don't think you can do that with a classical string, but maybe, Good luck
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

I'm on board with what John Flynn and Usuallypicking says: try a ukulele. It may sound lame, but after having James Hill (with Anne Janelle) last month, I'm amazed at the quality and variety of sounds you can get out of them. And, as John said, there are a lot of ukulele builders who will gladly do custom work; no reason you can't get one at a scale length for gdae tuning. I have sense and 8 string ukuleles as well. I'd really look into those myself.

I just can't see how you'd get the necessary string tension to really drive the arched top of a mandolin.
    Last edited by Charlieshafer; Mar-04-2017 at 1:53pm. Reason: usual bad spelling

Just for possible interest, here's an example of a mandolin with 8 nylon strings. Sounds pretty good!

https://youtu.be/vRfaX3IUXMA

Definitely needs to be an instrument built for that kind of string though, won't work to just pop a set of aquilas on a standard F-style.

PS- There is such a thing as an 8-string ukulele too. In fact they're not uncommon. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks again guys! So many great ideas. Here is a nylon (fluorocarbon, actually) strung, 8 string. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Zhksqmum4
    And a 4-string nylon, mandolele, made by Bill Griffin (you can google him): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6711KN2CoNY
    I've been investigating for awhile - but I've been trying to figure out if I can modify my own mandolin. Based upon advice from Daniel Brauchli I've put nylon on my Weber, plus the fishing-line E string. It sounds "okay" I guess. But what I really would like to do is play the steel strings like I used to do. Oops, sounds like I'm whining.....
    Regarding the 'ukulele, I do play the uke. I wish I could find someone like Daniel Ho to work with so I could study classical pieces, renaissance (and some jazz and reggae!) on the uke. I studied mandolin with Chris Acquavella for many years and I got spoiled by having a good teaching who can teach and play. There's a lot of uke teaching available and I've gone to several workshops but I think I need the one-on-one and accountability to progress if I keep playing the uke.
    And I haven't found anyone who particularly wants the 'ukulele in a bluegrass band (which is why I started playing the acoustic U-Bass - sometimes it's okay to bring it to a BG jam).
    Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2