Thread: Pachelbel: Gigue in D Major

Default Pachelbel: Gigue in D Major

Johann Pachelbel (1653-1709): Canon And Gigue in D Major (P.37)
    2. Gigue

This is the second part of Pachelbel's Canon And Gigue -- much neglected and routinely omitted from performances and recordings of its vastly more famous companion piece, the Canon. The gigue itself is also partly in canon form and makes a lively coda to the more sombre Canon. As it was originally written for three violins, it translates just fine to mandolins.

Sheet music at IMSLP:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Canon_and_Gigu...elbel,_Johann)

My recording is on three mandolins, with the basso continuo played on mandocello as written (no chordal realisation).

1915 Luigi Embergher mandolin
    Mid-Missouri M-0W mandolin (x2)
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin
    Last edited by Martin Jonas; Feb-26-2017 at 10:06am.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pachelbel: Gigue in D Major

Interesting. I don't think I have ever heard that played with its better known predecessor. I didn't even know it existed.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Default Re: Pachelbel: Gigue in D Major

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Interesting. I don't think I have ever heard that played with its better known predecessor. I didn't even know it existed.
    Thanks, Hank. If you search on Youtube for "pachelbel gigue" you'll get a number of complete performances with both parts -- typically ones aiming for a more period-appropriate Baroque performance than the lush orchestral versions of the Canon that made the piece famous in the 1970s. Some of these take the Canon very fast indeed, which changes the character a lot.

Martin