Thread: Mandolin Banjo neck adjustment

Default Mandolin Banjo neck adjustment

I want to lower the action on this mandolin banjo. Can i shim or how do you adjust it?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	154259
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	558.5 KB 
ID:	154260
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

Default Re: Mandolin Banjo neck adjustment

That is mostly to hold the neck to the rim. You can loosen the neck with string tension down and place a shim behind the end of the fingerboard, or preferably the neck below the fingerboard, then tighten up. You can also lower the bridge some. I also might ask what strings you are using. Mandolin strings, I feel, are too heavy for these. I use two sets of tenor banjo strings. If you think of the lows on a banjo with the light strings they use and that now you have 8 strings on a banjo head a .040 mandolin string is way too heavy. The banjo strings sound much better too. They may also help the action feel better.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

3. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Assuming everything works the same as a regular banjo you should be able to lower the action by

1) Loosen the nut on the inside of the cross-rod at the tailpiece end, then,
    2) tighten the nut on the outside of the cross-rod at the tailiece end.

If there's not enough adjustment doing that, then yes you will have to unbolt the neck and add a tiny shim to the top of the end of the neck. A 0.5mm shim is normally more than enough to make quite a difference to the action.

I don't know what to loosen here on the inside. I can turn the outside. I assume clockwise is tightening????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	234.2 KB 
ID:	154269
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." - Albert Einstein
    "We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same."
    ~Carlos Castaneda

That doesn't apply to your banjo, that only works with coordinator rod banjo's. Your banjo has a dowel stick. There are other ways more involved, but to just loosen and put a thin shim against the rim is the way to go if it gives you enough. The dowel can be steamed out and reset, but it is not an easy job. I have done shims at the opposite end of the dowel to move the angle, but again a little more complicated.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!