Thread: Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

Default Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

Which do you prefer and why? I think I have a slight preference for the fuller sound of the guitar body, but I'm wondering if that's because I played guitar for 30+ years before picking up the mandolin. It may also be because the GBOM's I've heard have really been among the very best (Heiden, Brock), and I've heard very few top-notch OMs otherwise. The one Duff mandocello-bodied (!) OM i heard also sounded outstanding.

2. The following members say thank you to blauserk for this post:

Default Re: Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

I have a standard bouzouki, from Fyled, and a Graham MacDonald GOM. I love them both. The guitar bodied instrument has a huge sound that all my friends remark on when they hear it. It's not as strong in the upper registers as my Fylde, which actually plays very well as a mandola with a capo at the fifth fret. If I could have only one it would probably be the GOM but regardless I would miss whichever one I passed onward.
    That was probably no help at all. ��

Summit County, Colorado

I am predjudiced against a mandolin that looks like a guitar. I expect it to sound like a guitar. They often do.

I have considered getting an octave mandolin, but have been put off by those that sound like a guitar.

5. The following members say thank you to CHASAX for this post:

Tobin 

If you're gonna play a big mandolin, then play a big mandolin.

Note: the following post assumes we're comparing archtop GBOM designs, not flattop guitar-shaped OMs.

The avatar photo at left is my Weber Yellowstone OM behind my Lebeda mandolin, so you can see where my sympathies lie. You don't need those curly bits that add to the cost, but that body shape and size is guaranteed to make it sound more like a big mandolin than an archtop 12 string guitar tuned in 5ths.

There is only so much bass you're going to get from low G strings anyway,. It isn't a mandocello with roughly the same scale as a guitar, and that should be a clue about appropriate body sizes vs. pitch.

It's a waste (in my opinion) to put a low G bottom course on a large guitar body designed for lower pitched strings. When I want a low pitch, I pick up a guitar tuned Drop-D. The octave mandolin is a different beast. It doesn't need a big guitar body to sound good, if you accept it for what it is, and learn to love a more focused sound from a mandolin body that isn't swamped with bass resonance. Not all GBOMs do that, but it can happen with the larger body size and airmass.

YMMV, just my opinion, and other standard disclaimers apply.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foldedpath For This Useful Post:

From a personal point of view, I want my mandolins to look like mandolins, not guitars, I think Andy Irvine started this off with having a guitar shaped bouzouki made.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I'm in the low end market.

For me its an equation of the best Tone and Playability within my Price. If all of those were equal, sure I'd love an Fstyle mandolin-shaped curved top OM. Or the arch toped Brock or Northfield shape. But that isnt going to happen in my price range. Its not going to happen under 4k I dont think.

For playability, I'm guessing I'd prefer 21 inches or less scale length. I've heard some oval (Astyle) OM's but the tone was thin or tinny and jangly. The small GBOMs from Pono sounded good on their clips but so hard to tell reality on utube recordings with special mics and expert players. I think the guitar shape is more comfortable than the Astyle shape with these bigger bodies, but probably not as neat and comfortable as the Fshape. But again the Fshape is not in my picture unless something extraordinary happens.

I wish Eastman would post some sound clips. Eventhough its hard to judge, utube clips are better than nothing.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

11. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by blauserk View Post
    Which do you prefer and why? I think I have a slight preference for the fuller sound of the guitar body,
    I generally prefer A-style OM's because, to my ear, they have a richer sound. The GBOM's I've played have had more punch, but the good A-style ones I've played have had a more expansive sound. I've never played a GBOM (including ones made by great American builders) that I've liked as much as my flat-bodied Peterson Level 3.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

I just "made" a GBOM out of a Harmony Stella, filled and drilled the headstock, put on a new overlay, tailpiece and bridge, cost me about 50 bucks. It's a 24" scale but it scratches the itch to have an Octave which I will use about 3% of the time. It sounds pretty good, I'm thinking a sound port and a reshape on the neck.....I don't use/play one enough to justify the cost of a great one, this fills the bill

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I have no idea on preference. I am excited to get my Eastman in May! Then I'll actually own one!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I've owned a Flatiron, a Trillium, a Weber Bridger and two Sobell octave mandolins and one GOM, a Weber Bitterroot Octar and although the Octar was loud and powerful I prefer the more focused sounds of the octave mandolin. I play mostly tunes and not chords and my octaves cut through better for that.
    David
    2010 Gayle Mandonator

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." GK Chesterton

Blog Entries

The whole reason I went to the mandolin way back in the day was because it wasn't a guitar. Didn't look like a guitar, sound like a guitar or play like a guitar. Nobody was going to confuse me with a guitar player.

I recently started playing a mandolinetto, with its tiny guitar body, and even that, so many years later, felt a little like an acquiescence.

Seriously, being a contrarian is as bad as being a follower; you're just controlled by the other end of the stick.

I have nothing against guitar bodied mandolins. I am not drawn to them, but I have nothing against them. I don't know of any musical advantage to a guitar body. I have heard some say it is easier to hold. I am skeptical that it makes much difference to the sound, but I would not be really really surprised if it was found that it did.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I'm in the low end market....For me its an equation of the best Tone and Playability within my Price. If all of those were equal, sure I'd love an Fstyle mandolin-shaped curved top OM.... Its not going to happen under 4k I dont think.

For playability, I'm guessing I'd prefer 21 inches or less scale length....But again the Fshape is not in my picture unless something extraordinary happens.
    If you look beyond the well known builders you may find an F style OM is closer than you think. Tom TJ Jessen has built a few carved top A and F style 21" OM's in the $2 to $3 k range. NFI, but I love his work well enough to have 4 of his instruments.

19. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

Astro