Thread: Mandocello/Octave Mandolin

Default Mandocello/Octave Mandolin

Can a mandocello be tuned as an octave mandolin or visa versa?

bass player gone mando

Default Re: Mandocello/Octave Mandolin

It's not impossible, but probably also not easy. A lot would depend on the scale length of the respective instruments - but assume the scales will have at least a few inches difference. Then you'd have to compensate a lot by using nonstandard string gauges (probably). I found an old Cafe post touching on this -

Bob, from my experience and the research I have done there seems to be a "grey" area. #I have seen OM scales ranging anywhere from 20.50" to 23.5". #Assuming a GDAE tuning is wanted, the correct string gauge (thickness) will be determined by the length of the string and the pitch one is trying to achieve. #With a longer scale, you can get away with a thinner string gauge to get to the desired note. #If you go to a shorter scale, a heavier gauge string may be needed to get the proper tension needed to play the same note. #

Don
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

On a mandocello, you can just throw a capo on the 7th fret to simulate an OM. It's a long neck; there's plenty of room for it, and it will sound pretty good. You're still using string gauges designed for the scale length and body size.

Going the other way (OM to mandocello pitch) doesn't make sense to me, because you need the thicker strings, longer scale, and larger body to support that lower pitch. An OM just isn't designed for it.

Yes. Here is a link to a YouTube video when I tuned my Eastman 'cello like an OM. All you need to do is remove the C strings, love all the other strings to the next lower nut and saddle notch and put a pair of E's (.010 or .011) where the A's used to be. Turning a shorter scale OM into a 'cello would be reversed - remove the E's and move all the strings over to the next higher nut/saddle slots, BUT the strings will likely be too big to fit right. Putting a fat old pair of C strings on something in the 20 - 22" scale range is probably going to be too floppy and buzzy.

I've done something similar in the past but the other way round. I needed a particularly deep sound for a recording I did many years ago and I put heavier strings on a Joe Foley Bouzouki ( only for a week or 2) It sounded really fantastic I have to say. I didnt do any adjustments to the nut or saddle as it was just a temporary arrangement. If it was to be permanent some adjustments would be required of course

John

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Isn't this why citterns exist? Tuned CGDAD / CGDAE?
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Isn't this why citterns exist? Tuned CGDAD / CGDAE?
    Yes! Now that I have a few 5 course instruments to play I sometimes feel limited with only 4...

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Stop making me feel I need a short scale five course instrument....
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website