Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heavy, medium or thin picks for beginning mandolin player?

Default Re: Heavy, medium or thin picks for beginning mandolin player?

I like the Wegens these days for sound, but there is nothing that has the feel of a BC. The glide across the strings is also quite wonderful. Started with a 60 ended up with a 35. If you have a brite low end these are the cat's meow, if not they are too dark for my ear and mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

I have, and use, both the Primetone 1.4 triangle and the CT55 BC. In all honestly I can tell little difference between the two. Both are excellent. The BC MAY have a little edge in tone, but it is small indeed. I will agree that the BC is easier to hold onto.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Find the pick you like the sound of and use it. Pick selection involves three decisions .... material, shape and thickness. You can experiment fairly inexpensively in the shape and thickness categories. When it comes to materials it can become expensive. I have settled on BC CT-55 and Wegan TF 140's picks myself. Take your time and enjoy the journey. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I could not find anything the BC did better than the Primetones.
    I'm a huge fan of BCs, and though I have some Wegen's, Gravity's and a few other floating around, the BCs are the easiest to play (Wegen is a close second) and sound the best on the mandolins I've had. I bought BCs early in my (albeit short) mandolin career, and I think it was one of the best pieces of equipment I bought early on.

Then the FedEx dropped off the new Pava F5 and I picked up some PrimeTone's at Wintergrass. As big a fan of the BCs as I am, I think the Pava might sound better with the Primetone 1.5. Still experimenting, but saying another pick sounds better than a BC is something I didn't think I'd ever say. Now if I can just remember which pocket I put that PrimeTone in...

5. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Fender amd Dunlop makes variety packs: https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Premiu.../dp/B00DSSOVJW

and some mixed material/size ones: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop/P...ety-12-pack.gc

You can try those while waiting for Traveling pick sampler (and some large ultex/Ultem or celluloid triangles for grip): http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...66#post1555466
    Last edited by gtani7; Mar-04-2017 at 11:00pm.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Quote Originally Posted by AndyPanda View Post
    My first day on mandolin, I preferred a thin (.50) pick. Second day I preferred the med (.73) pick. Third day I preferred the thicker 1.0 pick. Now (second week) I'm loving the 1.14. I figure next week I'll be ordering a 1.3 or 1.5 pick.
    My comfort zone for some time now is in that 1.3 to 1.5 mm range.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

It depends on the kind of playing you want to do. Many classical players use picks that are long, thin and narrow. I have tried them, but can't warm up to them at all. But if my goal were to be a classical player, that's what I would use.

If you are wanting to play bluegrass, old-time, trad, rock or folk, I would start with the kind of pick that most of the pros use, which seems to be a thick rounded triangle. I wouldn't go thin because it's easier. I think it creates bad habits. It causes to you to death grip the pick, rather than learning to balance it between your index finger and thumb. It also sounds bad. Mike Compton taught in a workshop I attended to think of the pick more like a violin bow, gliding across the strings rather than plucking them. Thin picks don't really "glide."

Those Blue Chip picks are expensive! $45 each?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tehreal View Post
    Those Blue Chip picks are expensive! $45 each?
    Something like that. One time.

If it provides the tone and playability that so many report, it is more than worth it. Might be the best $45 ever spent.

Of course you could spend a buck or so on three or four picks that almost do it for you, so you can have almost what you want. For the rest of your life. Not quite what you want, but almost, to save $44. One time.

Now, do they provide what so many claim, and will they provide that for you the way you play, that is an entirely different question. Try to beg or borrow or get on the list of the traveling pick sampler.

No pick that doesn't work is worth the price.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a Blue Chip. It's a really great pick. But if I am playing with a Wegen, a Pro-Plec or the custom organic pick I have that Bill Bussman made out of an 1800's lady's comb handle, I don't really think, "Wow, I wish I was playing with my Blue Chip, I would sound so much better." So Blue Chips "work," but there are a lot of other picks that also "work." I'm glad I have it, but if I lost it, I wouldn't replace it. Right now, the Wegen is my favorite.