Thread: Ordered a Fender Mando-strat today - impulse buy

Default Ordered a Fender Mando-strat today - impulse buy

It was listed as brand-new and that put me over the edge into impulse territory. It cost a bit more than used, but still a lot less than a new Eastman MD-305, so for an impulse buy I am not out too much.

Never seen one in person before, keeping my fingers crossed it can be set up well. It just has to have a good neck, that electric bridge looks simple enough, if it's anything like a fender electric guitar it will be super easy.

I mostly want a quiet practice instrument out of it, something I can play at odd hours and not bother anyone. So it's electric plugged in sound is not an issue for me, but it's feel and playability is.

If it can fit in my suitcase it might become my travel mando, then it will get plugged in at the family xmas jam.

Hockeystick headstock here I come. :-)
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Ordered a Fender Mando-strat today - impulse buy

I wouldn't spend money on a Fender hollowbody but short of having a bad neck there's not much can go wrong with a solid body instrument. It has a tele style bridge so you should have no trouble setting the action and intonation. You should be fine.
    We are the music makers,
    And we are the dreamers of dreams

Isn't there one from the 60's in the classified section? NFI.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

The big problem with the Fender mando-strat is the bridge. It only has 2 barrels and getting the intonation right was not possibly for me. I bought a replacement that had 4 (one for each string) adjustable barrels and that was fixed.
    I practice with it unplugged while watching TV and it does not bother my wife. It is barely audible.

Ive been eyeing these for a while now..my roommate gets annoyed if I play after 8ish which is about when I like to start playing!

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moss View Post
    I wouldn't spend money on a Fender hollowbody . . . .
    It's true they're Shinola, but if it weren't for a Fender hollowbody, I'd never have picked up mando.

A friend asked if I wanted to buy a mando. I said no. She said, "It's $50." I said, "Sure!"

Turned out it was a hoot. It was like going from tennis to ping-pong (in a good way). Since then I upgraded to a still-humble but better-playing Mid-Missouri flattop.

Thanks, Fender!

By the way, I've heard mando Strats played to good effect. Useless for acoustic acts, of course, but entertaining for electric purposes, for those who are so inclined.

I bought two of them (4 and 8 string) and both needed to have their nut slots cut lower in order to play in tune. I found a pro setup made a huge difference...

I've gone through a few Fenders including their hollowbody electric-acoustic and my current one, their semi-hollowbody (the one with the single long f-hole on the bass side; their model numbering system is a bit confusing to me.) No intonation issues, but if I get another it would be the four-stringer to avoid that issue altogether.

Congrats! I have a 4 string Mandobird that I've enjoyed through the years. Good as a quiet practice mando, though admittedly more fun plugged in. Pick up a cheap practice amp with some effects (like the mini Mustang) and some headphones if you can, will definitely add to the fun. I've actually played it in lead guitar fashion in our praise band to good effect, though I'll admit I'm jonesing for a better quality instrument and a tube amp now. It's a rabbit hole, man!
    Chuck

I got a mandostrat Maybe three years ago, enjoyed fooling around with effects and all that stuff, and gigged with it some. I found it useful for marathon St Pats Day gigs which would shred my fingers from 8-10 hours of playing regular mando. The practicality of just 4 strings, designed for amplification, was a plus. I havent been playing it for a year or two because it just doesnt lend itself to what I'm doing now, more acoustic-oriented. I gather they are not making them now, and since the price was really very good on them, it seems like they are holding or increasing in value. Build quality, fit and finish, is mediocre but adequate considering their admirable simplicity. Most players want to upgrade the pickup due to inadequate response in the high E string (various effects can also be used to compensate). Here's the most fun I had with mine: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fiWvXpIQdKk

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I love mine the only thing I did was file the nut slots, I have a new Seymour Duncan pickup I plan to install soon
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Blog Entries

I love mine, a four string. Did nothing too it. Play the potatoes out of it. I am still trying to figure out the relevance of loud angry fiddle tunes, but playing them is still fun.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Digression (sorry)--

It's interesting to me how much this forum dislikes fender acoustic mandolins. I had one, set it up properly, sanded the bridge to fully contact the face, and it was fine. Not great, but it isn't in the price point to be great. I gave it to my son, and he plays the crap out of it. It needs careful feeding of new strings for its best sound, but so what?

I have heard some really lousy examples of low price mandolins that are reviewed much more favorably here. I don't quite get it.

When traveling with my electric I take along a Vox Amplug and some earphones/buds for when I want to rock out a bit. I also bring a Sony powered speaker that's small but sounds great.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I've got nothing but good things to say about my 4-string Mando-strat. Before I got it, based upon forum posts I read here, I bought a new bridge and pickup for it, but after two years, I've left it all original and am quite happy with it. It's a lot of fun to play!
    2007 Weber Bruce Weber signedYellowstone F HT
    2009 Gibson David Harvey signed Goldrush
    2004 Gibson Danny Roberts signed F5G (Black face with block inlay)
    2009 Kentucky KM1000
    2013 Epiphone Flatiron Festival F2
    2014 Fender Mandostrat
    2014 Eastwood Mandocaster
    2015 Kentucky KM505

See the new thread, it came in today, I am definitely going with a new bridge.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.