Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick chioces.

Professional Green Horn WmBuoymaster's Avatar

Default Pick chioces.

What is the advantages to using a Fender or Dunlop traingle pick versus smaller ones. I am having a hard time keeping the normal size picks in my fingers. Would a larger one such as the triangle ones be a benifit? I cant believe what they cost but Im just not grasping the other very well. No pun intended.
    The new Guy!

Default Re: Pick chioces.

I think you mean disadvantages of larger pick. I don't guess there would be any if you can control it. A large pic to me seems more flexible, and awkward to me but that may be because I've never gotten used to them, of course I've never gotten used to them because they seem more flexible and awkward to me. Just my thoughts on that.

Playing around with picks is one of the perks of the mandolin. Size, composition and weight are all fun to try out. If something doesn't work, just pick up something else. There is no "right" pick just like there's no "right" string gauge (except ultralights for old bowlbacks, but that's something entirely different).

some of the classicists use Roman picks which look like willow leaves. Some use triangles. I personally like a tiny jazz pick that's fairly thin, although not particularly flexible. I own a couple of guitar-sized picks that I use when my arthritis flares up and I can't grasp my usual (a rare occurrence, but it has happened).

If you find the larger triangle picks more comfortable, go for it.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randi Gormley For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Playing around with picks is one of the perks of the mandolin. Size, composition and weight are all fun to try out. If something doesn't work, just pick up something else.
    And for the first few years - hang onto all of them. The one you don't like today will be the one that works best next year

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

There are some of us (gulp) that spend stupid money on picks. ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T.D.Nydn For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Buried somewhere, probably not too deep, is a thread on the "traveling pick sampler" or some such. You put your name on the list and you get sent a very wide selection of picks to sample (not to keep). Then you send them along to the next person on the list. Somebody here will probably give you a link to it if you can't find it. Some folks have even made videos of their comparisons.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

My pick preference comes and goes, as mentioned earlier. Its a constant struggle to hold the pick loosely, but not have it drift in my hand. The Dunlop Primetones comes in textured and non textured finishes in various thicknesses, and aren't Blue chip or Red Bear priced. Should be worth a try.

While some folks swear by one pick, I swear at all of them, usually daily.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    My pick preference comes and goes, as mentioned earlier. Its a constant struggle to hold the pick loosely, but not have it drift in my hand. The Dunlop Primetones comes in textured and non textured finishes in various thicknesses, and aren't Blue chip or Red Bear priced. Should be worth a try.

While some folks swear by one pick, I swear at all of them, usually daily.
    Swear eh. Lol.

I'm gonna try a few different ones. I have a lesson tomorrow and maybe they will let me test drive some. Thanks

Blog Entries

For $10 you can try a variety of lesser expensive decent picks. I have tried the Wegens and some other (not the Blu Chip) and find that on one mandolin and string set, one particular pick sounds better than some other one. Variety is good. My base pick is the Dawg pick. But, try a bunch out, have a little collection and see what works.

I've drilled 5-7 small holes into a pick to help it stay put in my grip.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    And for the first few years - hang onto all of them. The one you don't like today will be the one that works best next year
    This. I am now back to Dunlop 207s as my preferred pick after having tried everything through the years. Really drawing excellent tone with it too.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    Buried somewhere, probably not too deep, is a thread on the "traveling pick sampler" or some such. You put your name on the list and you get sent a very wide selection of picks to sample (not to keep). Then you send them along to the next person on the list. Somebody here will probably give you a link to it if you can't find it. Some folks have even made videos of their comparisons.
    I have been summoned!

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...erested/page23

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

^^^ This!

The pick sampler is a "must do" for a newbie. Opened my eyes and put me on a path of pick collecting. Also, it changed a lifelong habit - I began using large, thick triangles after a lifetime of using teardrop-shaped, medium gauge picks. (A lifetime with guitar, I'm a mandolin newbie).

You might prefer something different, we all have different preferences, but give the sampler a try and find out if you like any of the ones in there.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

I find the large triangular shaped picks too much of a fingerful for me. Too much material not doing anything except getting in the way of how i hold my pick. The Dunlop 'Primetone' 1.5mm teardrop shaped 'grippy' ones are 'the' best' picks i've ever used. I did buy some 1.5mm 'smooth' triangular ones,but as i said they were too much to grip,so i gave a couple away - i'll keep the other 2 in case i have a 'relapse' !.

The best advice re. picks for anybody = try every pick that you can,of every shape / thickness / material & eventually,you'll find the 'right one for your mandolin'. However,that doesn't mean that if you find another brand / gauge of strings' that you prefer over the ones that you're using now,that the pick will sound the same. Different pick / string combos. will have different tones on 'your' mandolin = it takes time !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

If you only ask about the possible advantages of a triangle pick:

-Three tips to use instead of one = lasts three times longer.
    -Any which way you get it, it's in the right direction, you can't miss it.

Except this, it's just a matter of preference.
    My english is not perfect.
    Nor my french anyway...

As has said before in this thread, trying different picks is a really interesting part of learning the Mandolin. I've tried different thicknesses, materials shapes...I've even made my own out of different hardwoods and metals, just to see what sound/tone I get.(South American Purple Heart is my favourite home brewed pick)
    PAS is also much cheaper than MAS!
    Jes Woodland
    Ozark 2001Mandolin
    Ozark 2223 Octave Mandolin

Watch the Marshall and Thile instructional videos. If you are able to get the big triangle picks back on the first knuckle index finger and lots of thumb in the grip, the back edge of the pick sits in the inside of the second knuckle index finger. The pick will not turn. The grip can be relatively loose and the tone will be fat. Works best with thick big triangle picks. Felt odd at first, and may not be your "thing" but it works. Plenty good pickers do different, but it's a way that works. Have fun!
    Mike Snyder

Blog Entries

As an aside. No need to feel self conscious liking many picks for many reasons. There are some hard core pick collectors out there. We have nothing on them.

It is likely there is a Pick Collectors Café somewhere on the web, where they debate on whether to risk damaging your picks by actually playing a musical instrument with them.

I really enjoy people who are passionate about stuff.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I like a large triangle 1.3-1.5 mm pick. Have a couple of teardrop shaped wegens still around, but the triangle versions (and my Blue Chips) get almost all the play now. Definitely try a bunch out, and agree to keep all of them for a few years. Who knows what you'll try over and like...

I find that I'm even preferring 1.4 mm picks on guitar now, though I'll use 1-1.2 mm picks if I'm mainly strumming rather than flat picking. Big change from the Fender mediums and 0.73 mm Tortex picks I started with, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Watch the Marshall and Thile instructional videos. If you are able to get the big triangle picks back on the first knuckle index finger and lots of thumb in the grip, the back edge of the pick sits in the inside of the second knuckle index finger. The pick will not turn. The grip can be relatively loose and the tone will be fat. Works best with thick big triangle picks. Felt odd at first, and may not be your "thing" but it works. Plenty good pickers do different, but it's a way that works. Have fun!
    Here is one of those videos. Its 10 minutes long, but worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdhVC0DzfFY

Quote Originally Posted by MC16 View Post

Frankly Thile lays it out pretty durn well. There's not much to disagree with, and the one thing at about 5:30 -ish in about the thumb vs. 1st finger, closed or open grip, is pretty volume dependent.

If you play an electric instrument or do not need top volume, then the fingers can be well matched in up and downstrokes - but if you need a lot of power and volume (say in a BG band that has a banjo) then Thile's makes a good point about other fingers supporting the index finger.

Watch some of his other videos of all genres and see just how much he does support his fingers - and just how much he slightly opens up to use a touch of circular picking at times.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    As an aside. No need to feel self conscious liking many picks for many reasons. There are some hard core pick collectors out there. We have nothing on them.

It is likely there is a Pick Collectors Café somewhere on the web, where they debate on whether to risk damaging your picks by actually playing a musical instrument with them.

I really enjoy people who are passionate about stuff.
    At a quick glance, that looks like the picks are collected for what they say or who played them, not HOW they play. that is like collecting an instrument because of who owned it, not how it sounds.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    At a quick glance, that looks like the picks are collected for what they say or who played them,..
    Yea. Some collect based on artist, some on brand names, or marketing on pick, some on who owned them or played them, some on color, shape, everything but how they play. It seems a lot like stamp collecting, where using the stamp to actually send mail is no part of nothin'.

It seems that the artist collectors, some of them, talk about getting on the stage after a show and picking up picks the band dropped. And also rock stars who deliberately drop picks or throw them off stage for collectors.

It would not surprise me if there were picks in collectors circles that were never made for pickin'. Just for collecting. Again, like commemorative stamps, dog stamps, cat stamps, and such.

And probably some who only collect picks made for pickin' and others who only collect picks that were actually used.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    And also rock stars who deliberately drop picks or throw them off stage for collectors.
    Yngwie Malmsteen has turned this into an art (or assault). I was FRC at a recent show he was a part of and he was flinging picks everywhere at a rapid-fire pace. Despite not really caring since I had one of his from 25 years ago I ended up with three, tossed another three or four to rows behind me, could have caught half a dozen more that went sailing overhead, and got hit in the forehead twice.

They're OK picks for mando being 2mm Dunlops so I've already put one in Pick Sampler #2 and will probably add another to #1 when it gets to me in a week or so.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Excellent video. Probably the best one I've seen. Man I need to learn who the big boys are with this instrument.

I'll be grabbing a few picks today at my lesson and give them a go. Thanks for all the info!!

Quote Originally Posted by MC16 View Post

This is such a great video, I just gotta embed it (again, it appears in many other Cafe threads....)

30. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post: