Thread: Old Gibson A-4?

Default Old Gibson A-4?

I have what appears to be a Gibson A-4 mandolin, serial #1026, and am looking for some information and advice regarding what to do with it. It belonged to my great uncle and had a great deal of use. It's in need of rehabilitation: the pick guard is gone, the finish has been stripped, and it has a crack in one of the sides which was repaired with glue at some point, but the crack has extended beyond the repair. Otherwise it seems to be in pretty good shape.

Questions:

Any ballpark estimate of what it might be worth if reconditioned?

Is it worth reconditioning?

Is this something I could or should do, or should it be done by someone who hopefully knows what he or she is doing.

Thanks for any input and words of wisdom.

Default Re: Old Gibson A-4?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDick View Post

Thanks for any input and words of wisdom.
    Welcome to the Cafe...
    Pics are essential to answering your queries...

While strongly seconding Spruce's request for pics, I would say that almost any vintage Gibson mandolin is worth reconditioning, depending on how much money you want to spend, and that I would strongly recommend that you at least have an experienced repair person -- one who knows something about [a] mandolins, and [b] vintage instruments -- inspect it before undertaking any repairs yourself. Were I in your shoes, I'd have the work done by a pro.

Now, how about them pics?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

+1 to what allenhopkins said. If you don't know what you are doing the instrument you have is potentially too valuable an instrument to learn on. You could make small job a big job and cause the repair to exceed the valve when it didn't.

5. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Serial #1026 would be very early indeed. The earliest mandolin in the archive is a 1902 model with a serial #2506. Anxious to see pictures.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

SN is probably like Jerry Garcia.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    SN is probably like Jerry Garcia.
    Haha first time seeing (hearing) that reference. Nice!

I'm going to guess that number is probably a FON and not a serial number.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

A FON of 1026 indicates the instrument is most likely from 1910 according to Spann. But we need photos before we can make any calls.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

11. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

A little gentle cleaning of the label revealed a narrow and faint diagonal and crossbar attached to what originally appeared to be a 1 in the serial number, which makes the correct serial #4026. It's stamped in what probably originally was red ink, not hand printed.

Looking at the 1903 catalog which was available online, it seems that this is a model A, not an A-4. Apparently most of these mandolins of that era had orange faces, this one was always brown within living memory (mine).

Pictures are attached. It seems prudent to have someone qualified rehabilitate this mandolin rather than to try to do it myself; recommendations for who might do this would be appreciated. Thanks again to all who post useful input.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hardware.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	154222

Name:	back.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	154223

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	4.3 KB 
ID:	154224

Name:	end.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	154225

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	154226

Look for the number stamped on the neck block or the wood. That would be a Factory Order Number (FON). You can better date it from that than guessing at the serial number. The pickguard was originally a "South Jersey" pickguard. If you tell us where you live we might be able to suggest someone close to you.

If this mandolin was primo with its original case you're looking at an instrument with a value of $1000.00 give or take $200.00. If you check the sold listings on eBay (not what people are asking for them) you'll find most of the A style pre 1920 mandolins in that space. Restored it might be worth less than the original condition as long as the original condition is good. Yours is not. If this is a family heirloom then it makes sense to put money into it. If it's just something you bumped into you can probably get somewhere in the $500.00 range for it in the condition it's in now.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Don't worry about the color; all the original finish here is long gone. Looks like the bridge has been glued on; is that correct? (It shouldn't be.)

This is from 1909 or earlier, judging from the pickguard (what's left of it) and the pineapple tailpiece. Hard to narrow it down further than that, but a serial number of 4026 would suggest 1905.

The tuners are not original, by the way.

In terms of monetary value, you're probably not going to come out ahead on this one. If you have it restored, you won't be able to sell it for more than what it will cost to restore it.

We can recommend someone to look at it if you tell us where you're located.

Thanks for the information. Yes, it looks as if the tuners were replaced now that I look at them, and it is a family heirloom, so I'm operating on that basis. There doesn't appear to be a FON stamp, so the serial number is probably it.

I'm located in the metro Denver/Boulder area.

Denver Folklore Center is the first place that comes to mind.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Also try the Olde Town Pickin' Parlor in Arvada.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Most Gibson Pineapple tailpieces have been selling for $150-$300+ and they don't come up for sale very often. If you were planning on selling the mandolin, you might want to consider selling it separately.

From the pictures, which are unclear, it looks to have had the finish stripped plus a side crack. I personally wouldn't put money into it, unless you are just dying to hear what it sounds like. That is money that you would never get back. It would cost twice in repairs what you could ever sell it for. Get a wall hook and hang it on the wall to honor your great uncle, that's what I would do. And, I say that having a lot of respect for cool old Gibson's, it's just that in the condition it is in, it is really more of a project than a mandolin, IMHO. As mentioned, the tailpiece and "husk" even in this condition, do have some value to people who like to restore things.

If you are not looking to sell it the money spent would be no different than buying one. This was in the family and when finished could be a nice playing mandolin. It doesn't need a fancy finish, just something to protect the wood and look decent.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!