Thread: I have a refret question

Professional Green Horn WmBuoymaster's Avatar

Default I have a refret question

I've been reading a few threads and was wondering about the wire. Is this a hardware store type of buy and cut them to size?

I was given yet another freebie that needs a nut and frets ....why not right? I like getting hands on anyways.

Thanks!

Default Re: I have a refret question

I should have googled that first
    Bad day here with my wife having her 2nd kidney stone in 5 months and has fybromyalga. Fybro is bad enough and these stones are a nightmare with it. Just not thinking straight.

But, I see there is all sorts of wire out there. How do I determine what's in this mandolin now?

Measure width and height, mandolins use typically small fretwire, but the true answer is whatever you want to use.

I would recommend Nickel Silver frets - they are the work horse of the industry

That being said frets can be made from, Copper, Brass, Bronze, Cupronickel, Nickle Silver, Stainless steel, the list is endless.

Steve

Measure the tang so you get the proper width for the fret slots. Any wire you want for the fret width will work as long as the tang is compatible with the existing frets.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thank you pops!

@Mirra. Thanks for the suggestions and reply. I probably won't go with the work horse being it's a cheapie and I plan on passing it forward to maybe a kid or someone wanting to learn. I'm too mandolin cheap now. That's 3 and I still have my Loar to get out of layaway.

Now it is something I may consider on the Loar. Until I really get decent enough to pick around with the locals, I'll most likely keep this one for awhile. Then consider getting a much better one.