Thread: Worms

Default Worms

Would someone explain to me the pros/cons for worm over and worm under tuners? Thanks

Default Re: Worms

In theory the worm over tuner should be mechanically better because the string pressure pulls the cog into the worm. On the worm under tuner the string pressure pulls the cog away from the worm. In actuality a well manufactured worm under tuner works just as well as a worm over.

For anyone looking to see the difference between worm over and worm under tuners Paul Hostetter's page has some excellent illustrations.

http://www.lutherie.net/mandolin.gear.direction.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Pulling the worm into the gear in my opinion can cause binding and make tuning harder. I prefer the other way around, but either setup right should work well.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

5. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I have read the link several times. The second paragraph, third sentence seems to have the terms (cog and worm) reversed. If I understand the context of the article correctly, this sentence is in error or a typo.

The article says that these are not "reverse" geared, as the knob should turn the same way to tighten the strings. True, but aren't there actual "reverse" gears that turn the other way to tighten the string? My octophone has them, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    I have read the link several times. The second paragraph, third sentence seems to have the terms (cog and worm) reversed. If I understand the context of the article correctly, this sentence is in error or a typo.
    I think you are correct and that the terms were inadvertently swapped in the article.

Just to add one more bit of confusion to the picture...I've heard it argued that string tension pulls the cog toward the body of the mandolin. I've also heard it argued that string tension moves the cog away from the body of the mandolin due to leverage, the headstock being the fulcrum. Depending on the string wrap and the tolerance of the bushings... could go either way maybe.?.

In any case, it is an interesting article and thanks to Mike E. for linking it.

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    The article says that these are not "reverse" geared, as the knob should turn the same way to tighten the strings. True, but aren't there actual "reverse" gears that turn the other way to tighten the string? My octophone has them, I believe.
    There are.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

gear cut can be ///// or \\\\\.. same worm, under, turns the other way as gear over, to turn the capstan around same way.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture