Thread: Duff F5 in a Hoffee?

Default Duff F5 in a Hoffee?

Hi guys, please help. I tried an Airloom case and the lower point was so far off, my Duff didn't fit. They obviously designed the case to fit their mando. Does the Hoffee fit the Duff??
    Many thanks
    Charlie Gillingham

Default Re: Duff F5 in a Hoffee?

Something sounds very off to me, here. The Airloom case was built to accommodate both a standard Northfield F5 and also the Northfield "Big Mon" shape, which is only about 5% larger. A Duff F5 (unless it's some weird custom modification) is a "standard" F5 design shape, and it has the same position for its points and scroll as a Gibson F5 ... or Northfield F5.

A Hoffee will definitely fit a standard F5 mando design -- that much, I can say with confidence. I own several different F5's and they ALL fit inside my Hoffee case. But there is no reason why the Northfield Airloom should not fit an F5, too! Did you ask the Northfield people about this issue? Maybe you somehow got an improperly lined (i.e., bad) case?

You would think Northfields were direct copies of the Loar, but I don't think they are....My lower point was barely hitting the high side of the case cutout

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	154143

IMHO - That's a pretty typical fit for a non-custom case. My Weber "Fern" sits pretty much the same in my Gator mandolin case,but,it is held in such a way that it's well supported & doesn't move around inside the case,so it's good enough,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My Gilchrist Model 5 fits perfectly in my NF Airloom, with no mis-fit at the pictured area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170221_052502531.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	154147  

Now I know who has the right cases to nick! I could have some pretty tasty mandolins if I'm quick! I'm sorry for the poorly constructed poem

But, seriously super cases for super instruments are almost billboards if thieves are about. Granted "WE" (at this honorable forum) would not dream of it and would clearly pounce on a thief and staple tongue to his wrist if we saw any bad intentions. But, there is a certain element who would see the very fine HD, super protective, expensive case and deduce there is an equally high dollar instrument being ensconced in this costly "handy" carrying case.
    The very thought turns my stomach but, there are still the worthless scum of the bottom of Clydesdale hooves who would see opportunity.
    No offense to the Clydesdale.
    Just observation.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    Now I know who has the right cases to nick! I could have some pretty tasty mandolins if I'm quick! I'm sorry for the poorly constructed poem

But, seriously super cases for super instruments are almost billboards if thieves are about. Granted "WE" (at this honorable forum) would not dream of it and would clearly pounce on a thief and staple tongue to his wrist if we saw any bad intentions. But, there is a certain element who would see the very fine HD, super protective, expensive case and deduce there is an equally high dollar instrument being ensconced in this costly "handy" carrying case.
    The very thought turns my stomach but, there are still the worthless scum of the bottom of Clydesdale hooves who would see opportunity.
    No offense to the Clydesdale.
    Just observation.
    At some point, this observation may hold a bit of truth, but it gets a bit silly when you think more deeply about it. It's not a very good idea when traveling with a $10,000 instrument, especially by air, to house it in an inferior case! Of course, you can take always some small steps to make the case you choose less conspicuous, but in the final analysis, you are FAR better served by having a really good case protecting your instrument than by the comparatively MUCH smaller chance that this really good case will somehow attract thieves to a greater degree than a lesser case. In fact, the vast majority of instrument thieves are opportunists, and they are fairly clueless and unsophisticated, especially when it comes to mandolins. They're just grabbing anything that seems to be a musical instrument! They ask the questions about what they managed to get later. So NO, don't buy a cheap case for a top-end mandolin simply because you think it might deter a rare, sophisticated thief. Get a good case, I say. But maybe not in the most garish color?

Blog Entries

Or get a really protective, nice, expensive case for your expensive toys, then go camo by putting it into a tennis racket bag.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    ...But, seriously super cases for super instruments are almost billboards if thieves are about. Granted "WE" (at this honorable forum) would not dream of it and would clearly pounce on a thief and staple tongue to his wrist if we saw any bad intentions. But, there is a certain element who would see the very fine HD, super protective, expensive case and deduce there is an equally high dollar instrument being ensconced in this costly "handy" carrying case...
    For road trips, many of us with Harleys cover them with Honda tarps for worry-free sleep.

To the OP. I do not have access to both mandolins at the moment, but when I can, I will make detailed measurements of my Northfield F5 MM and my Duff F5. Something doesn't seem right about your Airloom case. From your picture, I can't imagine that a Northfield would fit any better than the Duff.

Edit: Added smiley face so as not to offend anyone who may not appreciate the motorcycle comparison.
    Last edited by FLATROCK HILL; Feb-21-2017 at 3:20pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    For road trips, many of us with Harleys cover them with Honda tarps for worry-free sleep.
    I assume it must work, since I've ridden Hondas all over the country, stayed in some pretty sketchy areas, haven't had one walk off yet.

But everyone knows what a Harley is, and what a Harley isn't. Instrument thieves, OTOH, probably wouldn't know a Rogue from a Gilchrist, so I don't know that covering your case in "Morgan Monroe" or "Michael Kelly" stickers would make a difference.

12. The following members say thank you to Mike Stewart for this post:

Or get a case in the most striking color combination so it draws a ton of attention and them "Everybody knows who owns it"! A case registry!?
    Surely, I jest!

And don't call me Shirley!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

My two preferred cases are bright canary yellow. Easy to pick out in a sea of black instrument cases.

And my Duff F5 fits in a new Calton and an older Eastman FB case with no issues. I'd check with Northfield about the misaligned lining in your case.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Wow, I'd love to have that problem. I'd love a Duff.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Sorry...it took a little longer than I'd hoped to take those measurements.

There is no appreciable difference between the Northfield F5 MM and the Duff F5 in overall length, neck angle, body size or placement/shape of the body points. They both fit identically into my (old-style cheesy) Northfield rectangular case as far as I can tell.

Judging by the picture you posted, it looks like the body of the mandolin, including that lower point would fit if the mandolin were to be rotated just a bit clockwise. If that is not possible, maybe the issue is not with the point placement of the case, but how the neck rests in its spot.

I would contact Northfield, advise them of your predicament along with detailed measurement of the interior dimensions of your Airloom case. I suspect the problem is there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by squamish5 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	154143
    Is that All?
    unless the padding has no give to it It seems close enough..

(I thought posts on bike forum let the OCD types Have a vent, for complaints on consumer product imperfection)

CZ Made Lebeda, Scotland Made Pegasus fits close enough.

though thr lap point is not centered in the lining blocks with perfection,

It's close enough.

Now go play some music on your very nice mandolin. OK?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

18. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

sblock 

You are correct about rotation. I needed to swing the neck out of it's "groove" about 6 inches to the right, then it would fall into place.

It seems that the lining and associated padding in your Airloom case was glued in, on the right side, just a tad too low inside the framework of the outer case. This is no big deal. I suppose you could ask the Northfield folks if they would consider taking back the case and fixing it. Or, you could just pull off the lining/padding on the lower right side from the outer frame, move it all up about 1/2", and then reglue it to the frame yourself. Easy peasy.

But if the interior padding is already soft enough to accommodate the small -- and it is small -- misalignment of the notch for the point, which it seems to be, then you could just consider leaving it alone. It's not a big deal, and it's not happening because your Duff F5 and a Northfield F5 have different dimensions: they don't. Leaving it alone won't affect your mandolin and it won't hurt the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    It seems that the lining and associated padding in your Airloom case was glued in, on the right side, just a tad too low inside the framework of the outer case. This is no big deal. I suppose you could ask the Northfield folks if they would consider taking back the case and fixing it. Or, you could just pull off the lining/padding on the lower right side from the outer frame, move it all up about 1/2", and then reglue it to the frame yourself. Easy peasy.

But if the interior padding is already soft enough to accommodate the small -- and it is small -- misalignment of the notch for the point, which it seems to be, then you could just consider leaving it alone. It's not a big deal, and it's not happening because your Duff F5 and a Northfield F5 have different dimensions: they don't. Leaving it alone won't affect your mandolin and it won't hurt the case.
    To those of you that say it doesn't matter, or it's "close enough", I'd have to disagree. I live in Canada so to get it here and send it back cost me almost 200 USD.
    A case that doesn't even support one whole side of an instrument (please refer to picture) isn't close enough at all...... it isn't good enough
    Last edited by 108 Mile; Feb-27-2017 at 5:31pm. Reason: Missing text

To those of you that say it doesn't matter, or it's "close enough", I'd have to disagree. I live in Canada so to get it here and send it back cost me almost 200 USD.
    A case that doesn't even support one whole side of an instrument (please refer to picture) isn't close enough at all...... it isn't good enough
    Methinks thou doth protest too much. The problem with that case is inconsequential enough to be ignored altogether. But if you don't wish to ignore it, then it's easily enough remedied -- on your own, and with only a little effort. But repeating all your complaints about the cost of the case, and of shipping, and with no serious attempt at a resolution, gets tiresome for the rest of us.

Finally, you could sell that Airloom case here on the MC and spend some additional money on a Hoffee or Calton case. It's your money.

Mandroid's advice, although a trifle rude, may have been the best, after all: "Now go play some music on your very nice mandolin. OK?" I propose to take his advice immediately, and I suggest you do the same.

Never mind...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

24. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Soper View Post
    My two preferred cases are bright canary yellow. Easy to pick out in a sea of black instrument cases.
    And my Duff F5 fits in a new Calton and an older Eastman FB case with no issues. I'd check with Northfield about the misaligned lining in your case.
    I put bright colored gaffers tape on my white cases to give them distinctive stripes that are easy to recognize.

My Duff F fits perfectly into a Hoffee case meant for a two point mandolin. The treble point pushes easily into the foam even when there's not a space in the foam for the tailward point.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

We're all very particular about our instruments and their care, so I don't begrudge the OP's concerns one bit. We all want to feel like our instruments are perfectly cradled when we travel wth them.

Hoffee and Calton both offer custom interiors based off a tracing of your instrument. That's why they achieve a perfect fit.

The Airloom to Duff fit is close, but not perfect. Could have been a manufacturing variation... could be that Paul's design is slightly different than other Loar inspired patterns.

The padding issue is easily adjustable as others have mentioned. If you're not fully comfortable doing that work yourself, then someone local with experience in upholstery can help you out, and I expect it would be very cheap.

Best of luck getting just the right fit for your baby.

Regards,
    David

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Another Canadian picker! Yes!
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Blog Entries

I miss the chipboard case era.