Thread: New to Mandolin Cafe

Default New to Mandolin Cafe

I just joined and wanted to say hello. Also just bought my first mandolin with help from looking at comments on the forum. Wound up with an Eastman MD305. I got it yesterday and have been fooling around with it a little. I play an acoustic guitar mostly but wanted to try something different. I'm 56 years old but figure it's never too late to try something new. Got interested in bluegrass sound a couple of years ago after listening to Alison Krauss and Union Station. Also found Billy Strings, simply amazing, on Youtube recently. Well, wish me luck! Man those frets are tiny! LOL.

2. The following members say thank you to Timmy Josh for this post:

jasona 

Blog Entries

Default Re: New to Mandolin Cafe

Welcome, Tim. Lots of converted guitar pickers here. And lots of Eastman pickers among them.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Hi Tim, and welcome! Have fun here
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

Professional Green Horn WmBuoymaster's Avatar

I joined about 2 or 3 weeks ago. These guys are great here. Lots of knowledge in the replies and search engine. I'm new to mandolin and strings all together and I've come a long way in a month.
    Welcome!

Welcome! I started mandolin about 3 years ago. I was turning 50 and had been "mando curious" for a while so I bought an Eastman 305, thinking I would plink around on it for a few minutes here and there when I was done with guitar for the day. Great starter instrument. Then an odd thing happened. I couldn't pick up my guitar for months. The mandolin took over. Watch out! You might find yourself with a strange addiction to Bill Monroe!

I suggest learning fiddle well. Then the mandolin is HUGE and the frets are right there!!! Have fun.
    Stephen Perry

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

Tim , welcome to the café. Like you I was 56 when I started playing the mandolin. And as HonketyHank suggests in his signature, join us in the newbies group.
    Larry
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

I'm a fellow guitar/Eastman player, as well. Welcome!
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Fellow guitar/Eastman player here. Also trying to learn fiddle. It's too much fun.

A piece of advice: don't listen to anything featuring Chris Thile. It is too discouraging. (Just kidding. But I do need some role models who are easier to imitate.)

Welcome to our wild, wacky world, Tim. The Café is a great resource for information and support. Have fun and the frets really are not too small. Good luck.

Hi Larry. Where do I find the newbies link. I saw it under HonketyHank's link but where would I normally find it?

Welcome Timmy! Good to have you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy Josh View Post
    Hi Larry. Where do I find the newbies link. I saw it under HonketyHank's link but where would I normally find it?
    In the black header under Mandolin Cafe is a menu bar. Far right, click Learn/Listen then Social Groups - Newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    In the black header under Mandolin Cafe is a menu bar. Far right, click Learn/Listen then Social Groups - Newbies
    Thank you!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Watch out, your guitars may get dusty. Mandolin can be addictive. You are right that it is never too late, I started playing my first at age 58. I find mandolins so much easier than guitars.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Welcome in Timmy! I just started too and I'm 59. I've played bass (both electric and upright) for about 40 years and yes those frets are tiny and too close together. I find I'm a half-step up or down all the time.

welcome to the café and your Eastman!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Welcome to the group!!!! I am also a 50+ guitar/mandolin player. I bought a Eastman 515 and am loving it. Enjoy the Eastman!!
    2016 Eastman MD515-CS

Welcome ! I am new as well and also play an Eastman, an Md-615 in fact. I also own a 314 oval hole and have been a big fan of Eastman Mandolins ever since picking up my first one at the local string-shop. Great mandolins, you shouldn't be disappointed .
    Seems like a great community of people here, only wish they had something this cool for us fiddle-players, lol...well fiddle cum mandolin/player that is.

Welcome! I'm another mid-fifties newbie with a long history of guitar and bass. There's a ton of nice people and good info in the Café. Search for Pickloser's Double Stop document for an excellent place to start, and the lessons from Pete Martin and Ted Eschliman in the Learn/Listen area are great. Key for me was getting myself out of the mindset that the mandolin was an upside-down guitar.

And check out Andrew Marlin's playing with Mandolin Orange for some inspiration!

Welcome Josh, I got my first mandolin maybe 10 yrs ago but just recently in the last couple years started really learning and playing it with encouragement from good friends. (also I am 50 something years) I also just learned guitar but mandolin is my main and I have learned a lot by jumping in and playing at nursing homes/churches with a nice little group of friends. So I tell everybody that says they wish they could play that it is never too late! I just wish I had started years ago because I love it so much. I got to play a couple Eastmans over the weekend and absolutely loved them, I am considering getting one