2. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Caleb 

Default Re: Double Stop Tremolo Help.

and a lovely use of tremolo in the Italian style

some classy classical tremolo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    For me easing up the grip, relaxing forearm, and ditching the rounded shoulder pick helped me gain volume. Exactly opposite of how I learned tremolo
    After playing some since I wrote this - the wrist was the part I learned to keep relaxed. Grip maybe more loose due to letting wrist and forearm relax. Allows me to control angle and contact with pick tip and add/subtract volume. With a death grip I couldn't feel the contact. Not an expert so ymmv

This thread has been helpful to me. I still don't know exactly what I'm doing wrong, but trying to implement some of Mike Marshall's tips in the clip posted here seem to at least be pointing me in the right direction. I think I must be doing something all wrong with my wrist. But it still makes no sense to me why even single course tremolo on G is still hard for me. Even Marshall said in the clip that it's prob the easiest for most players. Maybe I'm just holding the mandolin in a way that makes for comfortable overall playing, but lousy tremolo.

This is frustrating because I'm a decent player on the whole (a lightweight compared to many here, I realize), but this tremolo stuff is still very tough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Marshall's tip about holding the pick loosely is something I'm going to pracitce. I think this might be one of the things I've been doing wrong all along.
    This was really tough for me when I picked up mando. The big reason I love the BC picks is how loosely I can grip without dropping them. I've been trying that goofy grip Thile uses where he leaves a lot of pick hanging out, also. The sound is good, but I always choked up to the tip for electric guitar, so it's awkward.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4